ADR question

Had to pull a load of paint/thinners on friday, was marked highly flammable yet when i pointed out my lack of adr to the “traffic office” i was told that as it was class 9 i didn’t need one.

Could anyone point me in the right direction here?

YOU MIGHT NEED…

I’M SURE HE WILL BE ALONG SOON :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Or you can click the picture of the ADR Truck to send him a PM (Private Message) :bulb:

Basic info on the ADR - scroll about half way down the page.

ROG:
YOU MIGHT NEED…

I’M SURE HE WILL BE ALONG SOON :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Or you can click the picture of the ADR Truck to send him a PM (Private Message) :bulb:

Basic info on the ADR - scroll about half way down the page.

Rog has been on an ADR awareness course this week but he must have been looking out of the window daydreaming :stuck_out_tongue:

Until Dave arrives I would suggest that the office are slightly confused and the “class 9” is more likely to be UN1263 class 3 or similar and is being carried under Limited Quanties, ie 5 litre cans packed in small boxes, or one litre cans packed on trays and shrinkwrapped.

Dave will ask for more details I believe, but my guess is purely that, a guess

Wheel Nut:
Rog has been on an ADR awareness course this week but he must have been looking out of the window daydreaming

Not daydreaming - it was just awareness and not specific knowledge of the regs.

I do know that this is miscellaneous :slight_smile:

Thanks for the advice yes the flammable liquid would be a class 3 also i never noticed any “LQ” stickers so my guess is that i shouldn’t have been hauling it at all :frowning:

so adr claas 9 's dont need an adr :unamused:

think someone in your office needs a refresher perhaps a whack with the big orange adr book might help

Hooly:
Had to pull a load of paint/thinners on friday, was marked highly flammable yet when i pointed out my lack of adr to the “traffic office” i was told that as it was class 9 i didn’t need one.

Hi Hooly, as already pointed out, “paint/thinners” is very likely to be in UN Class 3.
jonnieboy is spot-on, because the person who said that you don’t need ADR for UN Class 9 is talking complete nonsense. There are some incredibly dangerous substances in UN Class 9, which are instantly subject to the full ADR requirements even if the cargo is the size of a single grain of sand. :open_mouth:

Hooly:
Could anyone point me in the right direction here?

I can tell you anything you’d like to know if you can give me the following info please:

1.) The UN number(s)
2.) The size of the packages (eg 25 ltr, 200ltr etc)
3.) The type of packages (eg drum, jerrican, IBC etc)
4.) The total loaded on the vehicle[/list]

Now then Malc, you’re correct about the ‘awareness’ course, and it was my class that ROG attended. :smiley:
All that’s required for ‘awareness’ are the subjects covered on day #1 of the core module, but even then ADR has yet more twists and turns which are dependant on the particular substance being carried.

I carry a lot of dangerous stuff, but it falls within the limited qauntities rule however if there was more stuff going on then I would need ADR :wink:
Im still waiting for ND to put me through the ADR course, the quicker they get me on it, the quicker they can have an ADR driver and avoid a situation they had last year where they loaded me with a load of ADR and when I came in they asked if I was ADR and the answer was no so they had to unload all the dangerous stuff off and get a subby in to carry - it would have been cheaper to get me onto an ADR course :laughing:

DAF95XF:
I carry a lot of dangerous stuff, but it falls within the limited qauntities rule however if there was more stuff going on then I would need ADR :wink:

Hi Stu, you’re nearly there mate…

There is NO LIMIT to the amount of LQ stuff that a non-trained driver can carry.
You can load 30t of the stuff (if your vehicle can carry 30t,) and you still wouldn’t need ADR. :wink:

LQs are an exemption, which means that you’re… mmm… errr… exempt. :grimacing:

dieseldave:
There is NO LIMIT to the amount of LQ stuff that a non-trained driver can carry.

That sounds like a contradiction - there are no LIMITS to LIMITED quantities :wink: :laughing:
:unamused: :stuck_out_tongue:

ROG:

dieseldave:

That sounds like a contradiction - there are no LIMITS to LIMITED quantities :wink: :laughing:
:unamused: :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi ROG,
This tells me that somebody might have benefited by reading my numerous posts on LQs properly. :unamused:

The decision as to whether full ADR applies is one for the vehicle owner to make.
The considerations are:
The UN number of the goods
The size/type of packages
The amount of weight/literage loaded on the vehicle.

That’s just one way of doing the job!!!

There are other ways of doing the job, such as LQs.
If the job is being done by the LQ method, the above DOESN’T APPLY.
LQs are an exemption, based on a small sized package. If the job is being done by the LQ method, the EXEMPTION applies if the requrements for the LQ exemption are met, such as using SMALL-SIZED packages.
If the job is being done by the LQ method, THERE IS NO ‘TRIGGER’ LIMIT PER VEHICLE.

:bulb: It’s best if you treat the two methods as being quite separate and unconnected to each other. :smiley:

dieseldave:
THERE IS NO ‘TRIGGER’ LIMIT

Does that mean that I will not get shot :question: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Curious Dave I was told on the refresher that carrying 8tons of LQ’s triggered ADR? Was even asked to make a note of it in a wee hand book.

dieseldave:

DAF95XF:

Hi Stu, you’re nearly there mate…

You can load 30t of the stuff (if your vehicle can carry 30t,) and you still wouldn’t need ADR. :wink:

LQs are an exemption, which means that you’re… mmm… errr… exempt. :grimacing:

Some of it is LQ Dave, but some stuff they occasionally load could come under ADR if there was enough of it, but sometimes its a drum or so of whatever it is ND delivers, things like 25l of washing detergents etc…
Bizarrely, whilst the forkies couldnt load a paper bag properly, some of them know how to load the dangerous stuff on a double deck trailer, like not loading it on the top deck which I didnt know until I was told… :open_mouth:

Imp:
Curious Dave I was told on the refresher that carrying 8 tons of LQ’s triggered ADR? Was even asked to make a note of it in a wee hand book.

dieseldave:
You can load 30t of the stuff (if your vehicle can carry 30t,) and you still wouldn’t need ADR

I know who I would believe :smiley:

Imp:
Curious Dave I was told on the refresher that carrying 8 tons of LQ’s triggered ADR? Was even asked to make a note of it in a wee hand book.

dieseldave:
You can load 30t of the stuff (if your vehicle can carry 30t,) and you still wouldn’t need ADR

If you carry over 8tonnes of lq goods you must show your orange plates, I believe, however it doesn’t trigger full adr as you are carrying LQ.

All the vehicle would require is a 2kg minimum fire extinguisher as it is carrying some dangerous goods

garnerlives:
If you carry over 8tonnes of lq goods you must show your orange plates, I believe, however it doesn’t trigger full adr as you are carrying LQ.

Was that one of the exam questions :question:

If your firm are carrying adr on a regular basis then should they not be employing a DGSA (dangerous goods safety advisor)?

ROG:

dieseldave:
THERE IS NO ‘TRIGGER’ LIMIT

Does that mean that I will not get shot :question: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I guess so ROG:smiley:

The key to this is to keep the two methods separate. :wink:

Imp:
Curious Dave I was told on the refresher that carrying 8tons of LQ’s triggered ADR? Was even asked to make a note of it in a wee hand book.

Hi Imp, Given that it was a refresher, it’s possible that you might not have remembered correctly, or the instructor might not be fully conversant with it, I’m not making a judgement on either btw :wink:

I covered the requirements for the new LQ markings here: (Scroll down to near the bottom of the page.)
Dangerous goods advice- UK regs and ADR - SAFETY, LAW AND WORKING TIME DIRECTIVE FORUM (INTE - Trucknet UK

The ‘new’ extra bit is only a vehicle marking requirement, NOT a triggering of the rest of ADR. :smiley: