ADR question

Does anyone know the what happens if you get a tug when you’re ADR but not displaying your plates??

Another depots drivers seem to think certain tanks aren’t ADR if their empty. But they haven’t been purged and cleaned.

My understanding is unless tanks cleaned, plates have to be displayed. Empty tanks can be more dangerous than full ones for certain products depending on the explosive limits.

a road tanker is never empty until it has been purged clean and MUST have its hazard boards on and orange plates showing, there will always be residue of last product carried in the tank ,so even if not loaded it is not empty , trailer must have hazard boards left on if dropped in depot for same reason and only be removed when cleaned,some tanks are dedicated as example bitumen ,hydroclhoric acid while others will be general tanks ,a fitter would not be happy if he was to start changing a valve and ther was a litre of sulphuric acid left in unkown to him and the fire brigade wouldn’t be either if they thought they were dealing will a purged/clean tank that is carrying residue therefore making it a different matter

jamiep1988:
Does anyone know the what happens if you get a tug when you’re ADR but not displaying your plates??

Another depots drivers seem to think certain tanks aren’t ADR if their empty. But they haven’t been purged and cleaned.

Hi jamiep1988,

Two questions please:

1.) Exactly what substance (or UN number) are you speaking of please?
2.) When you say “tanks,” are you speaking of tank-vehicles or tank-containers?

If it’s either of the “tanks” above, then the answers you’ve had so far are correct.
A tank is subject to Regs (including the need for plates) if it’s got any residue of dangerous goods left in it and it’s not been cleaned and purged.

On the other hand, many people use the word “tank” when they speak of metal IBCs, which count as packages.
:bulb: The rules for uncleaned packages are different to the rules for uncleaned “tanks,” so that’s why I’ve asked that. :wink:

jamiep1988:

If empty and cleaned :exclamation:

Well,…
ADR is not just ADR
We have 30 1202 is Diesel and 33 1203 is Benzin.
UK has Letters too.
Not sure how that works with a Load Diesel from or to Belgium.
ADR was usually for International Transport.

Now,we had a load Diesel and on Front of Unit and End of Trailer 30 1202
Now,we had in Chamber 1 and 2 Diesel,and Chamber 3,4,5,6 Benzin. So Front of Unit and End of Trailer was Yellow Plain and on Site of Chamber 1 and 2 was 30 1202,and on Site of other Chambers was 33 1203.
Not sure if anything changed.

But,as long as the Tank was not fully cleaned (Steam and Chemical) you kept the Sign on.
We had once a Tank burning,and to extinguish Fuel is relative easy against ignited Aluminium. The complete left Site had to be replaced.

In that Case. " Its Dangerous and not anything to do lazy"

Immigrant:
Well,…
ADR is not just ADR
UK has Letters too.

That’s true Immigrant… ADR is for international work.

The UK has a slightly different tanker marking system for UK national work.

The UK tanker marking system is used in the following circumstances:

1.) The load was collected from a UK address
2.) The load is delivered to a UK address
3.) The load is carried by a UK registered vehicle.

If 1, 2, and 3 above are all true for a job, then it’s a UK job and the tanker must be marked in the UK way.

If ANY of 1, 2 and 3 aren’t complied with (for any reason,) then the tanker must be marked as for ADR.

Immigrant:
Now,we had in Chamber 1 and 2 Diesel,and Chamber 3,4,5,6 Benzin. So Front of Unit and End of Trailer was Yellow Plain and on Site of Chamber 1 and 2 was 30 1202,and on Site of other Chambers was 33 1203.

This is still correct, but you forgot the plain orange plate that goes on the rear. :wink:

Immigrant:
But,as long as the Tank was not fully cleaned (Steam and Chemical) you kept the Sign on.

This is still true. :smiley:

possibly an elevated temperature liquid that’s been tipped and cooled?

humbug:
possibly an elevated temperature liquid that’s been tipped and cooled?

no,the reason a product is carried at an elevated temperature is so that it capable of being loaded or tipped as a liquid . for example,bitumen is carried at 200c to 280c depending on the grade ,as you know bitumen mixed with sand and stone is what you drive on but if it wasn’t heated to such large temperatures it would be immpossible to transport,molten sulpher is simular,we ued to carry it at 130c ,and it goes off that quick that you have to use steam to make sure the foot valve mechanism is still operational when tank is unloaded ,but ,when unloaded you still have a residue in the tank and you need plates and boards on until manually dug out and certified clean ,in simple terms it is under adr rules until certified purged/cleaned and there are no exceptions ,i hope this helps

dieseldave:

jamiep1988:

Hi jamiep1988,

Two questions please:

1202 is why they’re carrying.
The tanks in question are classed as IBC’s.

they are 1,000 litre or 2,000 litre bowsers in general

jamiep1988:

dieseldave:

jamiep1988:

Hi jamiep1988,

Two questions please:

1202 is why they’re carrying.
The tanks in question are classed as IBC’s.

they are 1,000 litre or 2,000 litre bowsers in general

Hi jamiep1988,

Thanks for the extra info, … which now makes this very easy indeed. :smiley:

Calling these things “tanks” makes for confusion. (They are NOT tanks.)
Saying that they “classed” as IBCs makes for confusion. (They ARE IBCs, so they ARE packages.)
Calling these things “bowsers” makes for confusion, because that word doesn’t exist in the ADR books.

Now that we’re sure of the above, we can say the following:

1.) Empty uncleaned IBCs having contained UN 1202 DIESEL FUEL, 3, PGIII can be carried by a non-ADR trained driver in ANY amount.
REASON: Empty packages are in ADR Transport Category 4, which is unlimited.
(NO orange plates are needed for this job.)

2.) A non-ADR trained driver can carry a TOTAL of 1,000 Litres of UN 1202 DIESEL FUEL, 3, PGIII in a package (or packages) as long as the 1,000 Litre total on the vehicle is NOT exceeded.
REASON: UN 1202 DIESEL FUEL, 3, PGIII is in ADR Transport Category 3, which is not subject to full ADR Regs when carried IN PACKAGES in a total amount on board the vehicle of 1,000 Litres or less.

3.) A non-ADR trained driver CAN do both of the above at the same time.

:bulb: The diesel fuel in the vehicle’s own fuel tank(s) is limited to 1,500 Litres and is NOTHING to do with the above because that is covered by a separate exemption.

=============================================================

When the 1,000 Litres (cargo) exemption limit is exceeded (by any amount) then the driver needs an ADR licence AND orange plates, PLUS the rest of the ADR requirements for that job all spring into effect and become required at the same time.

This includes the need of the company having a properly qualified DGSA who holds a valid and current DGSA certificate.
There are one or two little exemptions to this, but you’d need the advice of a DGSA who is in full possession of the exact info.

Now to try to answer your 2yr old question…
If you’re subject to ADR (carrying in excess of 1,000 Litres of diesel fuel as cargo) and you don’t have the ADR licence or the orange plates and all the other stuff… then it’s at the discretion of the enforcement officer who detects the offence as to how they choose to deal with it. Enforcement of ADR is between the Police/DVSA/HSE who all have their own ways of dealing with ADR offences, so the outcome might depend on who does the stop-check.

What I can say for sure is that a prohibition will be issued (at the very least) and that alone could affect the ‘O’ licence and possibly the repute of whoever the Transport Manager ™ is.

I can also say that whatever penalty is deemed necessary might only be the tip of the iceberg because there could be further investigations, or a possible appearance by the TM in front of a Traffic Commissioner.

It would be a whole can of worms for the TM, but very little grief for a driver, because the TM might possibly have said that the job isn’t subject to ADR just to get the driver to do it. The TM has full responsibility for that. A driver would probably be merely inconvenienced and hanging around whilst the prohibition is sorted (by the TM) and waits until permission is given by the enforcement official for the driver/vehicle to continue the journey.

============================================================

The rules for (proper) TANKS are completely different and should not be confused with the above, because the above relates to PACKAGES.
:bulb: That’s why it’s important to know exactly what we’re dealing with, and to call things by their correct names as in ADR.
Once we’ve done that, the answers are easy. :wink:

===========================================================

Dave’s ADR trivia… An IBC can be up to 3,000 Litres, but not more.

I hope this helps. :smiley:

I’m sure that answer helps a lot of us[emoji106] Cheers. Going back to earlier Q is is true that a vehicle must be marked for ADR if not registered in U.K. Even if on a Domestic journey??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boris1971:
I’m sure that answer helps a lot of us[emoji106] Cheers. Going back to earlier Q is is true that a vehicle must be marked for ADR if not registered in U.K. Even if on a Domestic journey??

Sorry Boris, but your question is unclear to me. :frowning:

You haven’t said what the vehicle is carrying??

The rules for when an ADR licence and orange plates are needed (when carrying dangerous goods in packages) are exactly the same in the UK for a domestic journey as they are for an international journey.

In this case, the country of registration of the vehicle wouldn’t make any difference.

Some details of what’s behind your question would help. :wink:

====================================

As I said earlier, the rules for tankers are quite different, so I’m not mentioning that subject in my answers to this topic, but that’s only for the sake of avoiding confusion.

:bulb: It’s bad enough that folks insist on calling IBCs “tanks” when they are actually packages. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

dieseldave:

Immigrant:
Well,…
ADR is not just ADR
UK has Letters too.

That’s true Immigrant… ADR is for international work.

The UK has a slightly different tanker marking system for UK national work.

If 1, 2, and 3 above are all true for a job, then it’s a UK job and the tanker must be marked in the UK way.

If ANY of 1, 2 and 3 aren’t complied with (for any reason,) then the tanker must be marked as for ADR.

Immigrant:

This is still correct, but you forgot the plain orange plate that goes on the rear. :wink:

Immigrant:

This is still true. :smiley:

I meant to ask, if on a tanker journey(not packages) in the U.K. And in regs,I thought it would always be marked for a Domestic journey(hazard warning panels etc, but I’m reading above quote and it says if vehicle not registered in U.K. then it would be marked for ADR even if journey in U.K. (Eg delivering fuel to a petrol station). Or I’ve misunderstood the answer.

dieseldave:
:bulb: It’s bad enough that folks insist on calling IBCs “tanks” when they are actually packages. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I refer to them as tanks as I don’t transport plastic IBC’s. In the industry I work in they’re all metal and bunded tanks, I call them tanks as that’s what they’re used for external fuel tanks.

I know they’re classed as IBC’s due to the size (not just that it says it on their test plates…)

Spend 4+ years calling everything from 950 litres up to 10,000 litres a tank and that’s what they are when you speak about them. (p.s I know that 3000 litre+ are classed as tanks in terms of ADR regs).

Main point I wanted to get the answer for (which you’ve done and I thank you for ) is that of showing plates whilst carrying IBC’s that are over 1000 litres in volume say 2x2000 litres IBC’s is not necessary? Presuming that they are either empty or the total amount of fuel carried in each amounts to 999 litres or less assuming it’s 1202

jamiep1988:
I refer to them as tanks as I don’t transport plastic IBC’s.

It’s a free country, so you can call them anything you like. :smiley:

I had to ask the questions to find out what they are though, because you wanted a proper answer.

For everybody else… IBCs can be made of lots of different materials, or even combinations of materials.

jamiep1988:
In the industry I work in they’re all metal and bunded tanks, I call them tanks as that’s what they’re used for external fuel tanks.

I can see the logic of this, but we had to get to what the rest of the world (and ADR) actually call them so that I could answer your question.

jamiep1988:
I know they’re classed as IBC’s due to the size (not just that it says it on their test plates…)

That’s because they ARE IBCs.
The metal ones you carry will probably have 31A/ as the first part of their PACKAGE designation code.
If it were made of plastic, it would have 31H/ but it would still be an IBC (= A PACKAGE) nevertheless.

Dave’s ADR trivia… IBCs can be made of fibreboard (= cardboard) or even paper.
The IBCs for fertiliser (poly bulk bags) are made of flexible material like hessian sacking, but they are IBCs too.

jamiep1988:
Spend 4+ years calling everything from 950 litres up to 10,000 litres a tank and that’s what they are when you speak about them. (p.s I know that 3000 litre+ are classed as tanks in terms of ADR regs).

Once it gets bigger than 3,000 Litres it will be some sort of tank.
:bulb: You can tell when to call it a tank because the plate on a tank actually mentions the word “tank” several times. :smiley:
Therefore, if the plate doesn’t mention the word “tank,” then it isn’t a tank.

jamiep1988:
Main point I wanted to get the answer for (which you’ve done and I thank you for ) is that of showing plates whilst carrying IBC’s that are over 1000 litres in volume say 2x2000 litres IBC’s is not necessary? Presuming that they are either empty or the total amount of fuel carried in each amounts to 999 litres or less assuming it’s 1202

Yes that’s correct, but the ‘freebie’ total is up to and including 1,000 Litres of 1202.
That particular exemption (ADR 1.1.3.6) is based on the fact that you’re carrying the 1202 in packages!! :smiley:

:bulb: There is NO ‘freeby’ limit if you’re carrying the 1202 in a tank though, because (proper) tanks have no ‘freebies,’ so it would be full adherence to ADR right from the first drip hitting the bottom of the tank, as well as full ADR even when the tank is empty, but uncleaned.

One of my clients has a bunded IBC that is only 330 Litres capacity, and it’s made of aluminium, so that one is a 31B/ and it’s still an IBC.
They use it to carry petrol.
The ‘freeby’ TOTAL for petrol is 333 Litres, so they can carry the whole lot in one package in one go AND still escape the clutches of obeying full ADR.

Boris1971:
I meant to ask, if on a tanker journey(not packages) in the U.K. And in regs,I thought it would always be marked for a Domestic journey(hazard warning panels etc, but I’m reading above quote and it says if vehicle not registered in U.K. then it would be marked for ADR even if journey in U.K. (Eg delivering fuel to a petrol station). Or I’ve misunderstood the answer.

Hi Boris,

There are no grey areas, nor any room for doubt, and that’s due to the way that the UK Regs (CDG 2009) are written.

Hi Dave, another quick ADR question if you please, are all ISO tank containers marked the same regardless of whether on a international or domestic journey?

Boris1971:
Hi Dave, another quick ADR question if you please, are all ISO tank containers marked the same regardless of whether on a international or domestic journey?

Hi Boris1971,

An ISO tank-container has to be marked exactly as 1. 2. and 3 above, and by the same criteria.

The slight difference is that the tank-container has to be marked on all four of its sides ( = both sides + front and rear)
The carrying vehicle then needs a plain orange plate on the front and another on the rear.

This tank-container is marked for aviation gasoline on a UK job:

Img_0498small.jpg

===============================================================

This one is marked for carrying Argon on an international journey:

Dscn0377small.jpg