ADR Fire Extinguisher Requirements

At present we are getting an artic ready to carry ADR packaged goods in europe, this will be on a 40 ton plated artic and I need to know what the latest fire extinguisher requirements are please.

The possible classes to be carried will be: 2, 3, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 5.1, 5.2, 6.1, 6.2, 8, 9.

I guess somewhere hidden in these forums are the answers I am looking for, but I would prefer up to date info please. So here are my questions:

1/ What is the minimum size and type to be carried in the cab?

2/ What is the minimum size and type to be carried on the trailer?

3/ Are there any requirements as to the standard/type of fire extinguisher box fitted to the trailer?

Thanks in advance.

For your 40t vehicle you will need a total capacity of 12kg of which one must be at least 2kg and one at least 6kg. I have a 3kg dry powder in the cab and another 9kg dry powder on the unit.

I seem to recall that you had to have water extinguishers on the trailer to deal with brake fires if needs be, is that not correct?

And can I reduce the size of the cab extinguisher and increase the trailer extinguishers to compensate, I dont really want a bloody great 3Kg extinguisher in the cab!

Isn’t this what you pay a DGSA for■■?

Markyboy is correct, minimum is 12k and 2k for cab and dry powder ones. Don’t know about the water one, but if you accidently used that one instead of dry powder it could be dangerous in certain circumstances

Foxstein:

Theres no such thing in Gibraltar, but why pay when you can ask?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23162&start=60

The external extinguishers are stored in plastic boxes and remain unlocked at all times ,we were told it was good practice to check they are still there after leaving the vehicle un-attended for any period of time,(including daily walk round check) as folk have been known to steal them.

sorry didn’t realise you were abroad :blush:

:blush:
Sorry wrong thread…

I thought this one was about an agency making a deduction from your wages because you’ve got a fire exstinhisher in your cab.

:unamused:

Dont they also have to have an electrical cut off switch as well…or is that just for tankers.

Hombre:

Foxstein:

Where is the agreement to that? I cannot find any exemptions in my Transport law books

Wheel Nut:

Hombre:

Foxstein:

Where is the agreement to that? I cannot find any exemptions in my Transport law books

Your transport law books will only cover the main EU countries, Gibraltars position withjin the EU and how it applies EU regulations is to say the least odd. For example, we run on EU/UK permits and Gibraltarians are deemed to be europeans having there own MEP, however T Forms are needed to both import and export all goods and personal effects. So no we dont have a DGSA and no one will really be bothered about it because thats how it is thankfully.

And we dont run on tachos either on the rock, in fact the Gib police dont even know what a tacho is for except for dipping in guacomole!

Hombre:
At present we are getting an artic ready to carry ADR packaged goods in europe, this will be on a 40 ton plated artic and I need to know what the latest fire extinguisher requirements are please.

The possible classes to be carried will be: 2, 3, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 5.1, 5.2, 6.1, 6.2, 8, 9.

I guess somewhere hidden in these forums are the answers I am looking for, but I would prefer up to date info please. So here are my questions:

3/ Are there any requirements as to the standard/type of fire extinguisher box fitted to the trailer?

Thanks in advance.

as your Company need to meet the Requirements to carry ADR they will know what you need

hse.gov.uk/cdg/manual/crew.htm
cammack.co.uk/pdf/DfT_ADR_Guide.pdf
garrardstransport.co.uk/adr- … -goods.php
And you need an Driver-ADR License.

Immigrant:

Hombre:

1/ What is the minimum size and type to be carr

Thanks in advance.

as your Company need to meet the Requirements to carry ADR they will know what you need

The company is me and the bloke I work for, I have an ADR licence and he doesnt I did the course last year. The problem is since passing the course the info has slowly become blurred!

Hombre:

Immigrant:

Hombre:

1/ What is the minimum size and type to be carr

Thanks in advance.

The company is me and the bloke I work for, I have an ADR licence and he doesnt I did the course last year. The problem is since passing the course the info has slowly become blurred!

The answer’s been given.
Cab extinguisher must be at least 2kg of dry powder.
Total must be at least 12kg.
best is dry powder for both as it’s illegal to carry an extinguisher that’s incompatible with what you’re carrying, so if you’re changing goods, it’d be easy to have the wrong extinguisher, and the law is for carrying not using, so you could end up in trouble for having the wrong one.

ADR course sat this week, so quite upto date info - but I’m certainly no expert, since I know I tried to put a class 5 fire out with CO2 :blush:

truckyboy:
Dont they also have to have an electrical cut off switch as well…or is that just for tankers.

Tankers only

Maybe a PM to "The Oracle " Diesel Dave

Hombre:

Thanks in advance.

Hi Hombre,

Sorry for the delay. :blush:
I’m busy, but I’ve answered as soon as possible.

Here are the current fire-extinguisher requirements for ADR work:

Carriage in Limited Quantities. (Per individual package)
IF you’re carrying Limited Quantities (LQs) you don’t need any extinguishers.
IF you carry LQs with extinguishers on board, then that’s OK, since you’d have more than the minimum of nil. :wink:

Carriage below threshold. (= total weight/literage of all packages on vehicle not exempted by LQs)
IF you’re carrying a load that’s NOT packaged in LQs, but less than the relevant ADR Transport Category threshold, then you’ll need:
1 X 2kg dry powder extinguisher suitable for fighting a fire in the engine or the cab of the vehicle.
Something like this:
or this
In larger vehicles than those shown in the pics, the 2kg extinguisher can be mounted on the framework below the driver’s seat.

Carriage in excess of ADR threshold ( ie, when ADR applies in full)

You’ll need the 2kg extinguisher as above, PLUS one more extinguisher depending on the permitted G.V.W. of your vehicle as follows:
(The actual weight of goods that you’re carrying is irrelevant here :wink: )

Permitted G.V.W more than 7,500kgs ie ANY LGV needs ANOTHER 10kg extinguisher making a total of 12kgs
Once the vehicle is a proper LGV, it doesn’t matter whether it’s a rigid, wag and drag or an artic :wink:

On most vehicles, the larger of the extinguishers is carried outside the vehicle in some kind of protective covering,
something like this:

Other requirements, all of which must be complied with:

1. Extinguishers must be of an approved type ie. the Kite Mark or the CE mark.

2. Extinguishers must be periodically inspected and bear a label / sticker showing the next due date of inspection

3. Extinguishers must be fitted with a seal AND pin
    Something like this:

4. Extinguishers must be protected from the effects of the weather.

5. Extinguishers must be easily accessible.

Lately, extinguishers are failing their inspection, if any of the paint is missing, since this leads to corrosion.

The old requirements (1 X 2kg + 1 X 6kg for all vehicles) means that there’s no end of 6kg extinguishers knocking about in yards up and down the country, so my advice is that you just need another extinguisher box mounting on the vehicle. Then you just put another of the old 6kg jobbies in there and away you go, provided it’s compliant, of course.

That’s much cheaper than going out and buying a fancy 10kg extinguisher.
If you take my suggestion, you’d then have 2 + 6 + 6 = 14. With the minimum requirement being 12kgs, there’s no problem in being 2 kg to the good.
:bulb: Remember, 12kg is a minimum, not a maximum. :wink:

In the event that 1-3 above aren’t complied with, you’ll be done for not having an extinguisher, since that’s the ADR specification for extinguishers, but 4 & 5 above also apply equally. You’ll also receive a Prohibition Notice (PN,) which probably won’t be cleared until compliance is achieved. If you are on an international journey, you’ll be prohibited until you’re compliant, but you must also reckon on paying a fine. :frowning:

One final tip… please make sure that you have the current Instructions In Writing (IIW) on board. :bulb:

Many thanks dieseldave for your as usual concise and informative reply.