ADR advice!

I’m looking at doing the ADR soon, and wondering if there are any books to buy for some study or do I just use the course work I’m given on the course. I did a check on the interweb and all I could find was a book published by the UN and was in excess of £100 I guess this is “the” adr book? Any advice appreciated.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using Tapatalk

Just do the course mate … no need for anything extra.

if the trainer is any good (Diesel Dave) then it won’t be a problem. packages is 3 days followed by 1/2 day of exams - multi-choice. the correct answers on the page.

I passed all mine with no extra home work or out of classrooom work

PS where you doing the training?

Dont even think about buying the book as you will just confuses yourself

Could do a search on here as there is loads on about ADR ( think this is the 3rd this week sorry )

As has been said just go do the course listen to the instructor make notes if you wish ( yep I did & a quick refresh on night ) passed all np

If in doubt ask Diesel Dave sure he will be able to help

As he does make it as easy as ABC :laughing:

as has been said mate,
the adr book isnt what you need. jump on a course :slight_smile:

does anyone know if diesel dave is still doing the course’s in leicester and whats the best route to take with the package’s?

If you are in need of help and you have an Android phone you can download an ADR app from the Android Market for free. :smiley:

Puddlejumper:
If you are in need of help and you have an Android phone you can download an ADR app from the Android Market for free. :smiley:

If doing the course you dont need it trust me if I can pass the exams anybody can they are all multi choice

You don’t need any pointers. Seriously, it’s a piece o’ ■■■■. :wink:

Everbody and their dog are doing it now, what with the DCPC add-on. :unamused:

goggins1234:
does anyone know if diesel dave is still doing the course’s in leicester and whats the best route to take with the package’s?

Hi goggins1234,
The best route for you is Core, Packages and seven UN Classes.

I’ve answered your other questions here:
:arrow_right: Adr + moffett training class 1 - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

Puddlejumper:

Hi Puddlejumper,

I’ve never seen an ADR app, so can you say what practical use it would be to a driver please?

Thanks for your advice guys, I can do a course at Ritchies in Glasgow and as I just done my c+e ill get adr all classes exept 1&8 for half the training price:-)

k21pilot:
I’m looking at doing the ADR soon, and wondering if there are any books to buy for some study or do I just use the course work I’m given on the course. I did a check on the interweb and all I could find was a book published by the UN and was in excess of £100 I guess this is “the” adr book? Any advice appreciated.

Hi k21pilot,

I’d strongly advise against anybody trying to study ADR in advance of an ADR course.
The person wouldn’t know which subject areas to study, nor would they know at what depth to study so the end result would be that they’d end up confusing themselves.

The ADR books you’ve mentioned only cover ADR, but there are some aspects of UK domestic dangerous goods transport that are done in a British way by using derogations from ADR. As you said, the books usually cost in excess of £100, but they are intended for use by people with a different qualification than the ADR driver certificate.

:bulb: Also, even if you bought the books and read all 1,300 ish pages, there would still be quite a few questions in the ADR exams that you wouldn’t be able to answer.

I can’t improve on the excellent advice that’s already been given, so your best bet is to book a course and let the instructor do thier job. BTW, the provider MUST give you a book/handout when you take the course, so please don’t worry on that score. :smiley:

Sent from my keyboard using my fingers. :grimacing:

k21pilot:
Thanks for your advice guys, I can do a course at Ritchies in Glasgow and as I just done my c+e ill get adr all classes exept 1&8 for half the training price:-)

Hi k21pilot,

I’m guessing that you might mean all classes except 1 & 7. :wink:

You’ll be in good hands at Ritchies, and if there’s anything on the course that you don’t understand or you need a further explanation, then I’ll still be here. :smiley:

dieseldave:

k21pilot:

Hi k21pilot,

I’d strongly advise against anybody trying to study ADR in advance of an ADR course.
The person wouldn’t know which subject areas to study, nor would they know at what depth to study so the end result would be that they’d end up confusing themselves.

The ADR books you’ve mentioned only cover ADR, but there are some aspects of UK domestic dangerous goods transport that are done in a British way by using derogations from ADR. As you said, the books usually cost in excess of £100, but they are intended for use by people with a different qualification than the ADR driver certificate.

:bulb: Also, even if you bought the books and read all 1,300 ish pages, there would still be quite a few questions in the ADR exams that you wouldn’t be able to answer.

I can’t improve on the excellent advice that’s already been given, so your best bet is to book a course and let the instructor do thier job. BTW, the provider MUST give you a book/handout when you take the course, so please don’t worry on that score. :smiley:

Sent from my keyboard using my fingers. :grimacing:

Great advice Dave thanks ill just go with the course work, didn’t think that book would be for me. And yes its classes 1@7 except! :-!

Diesel Dave
The Android App covers a lot more than just the symbols in that it also gives you the UN numbers giving you greater detail as to what is being carried and how a load will possibly react in an incident.
I have found it useful when I get backload pickups from the EU and I get a confusing DGN (mainly Italy and France) as there are variations nationally.

Puddlejumper:
Diesel Dave
The Android App covers a lot more than just the symbols in that it also gives you the UN numbers giving you greater detail as to what is being carried and how a load will possibly react in an incident.
I have found it useful when I get backload pickups from the EU and I get a confusing DGN (mainly Italy and France) as there are variations nationally.

Hi Puddlejumper,

I think it’s possible that an ADR app would cause great confusion for drivers because WADR a driver doesn’t normally have the extra expertise needed to interpret the myriad twists and turns involved with the carriage of dangerous goods.

Now that you’ve mentioned a DGN, how does an ADR app cope with DGNs? (DGNs are not an ADR requirement.)
You’ve mentioned “a confusing DGN” but in what way have you found a DGN to be confusing please?

Puddlejumper:

Whats it called? I cannae find it. :confused:

Im employed as an ADR driver but have forgotten most the stuff your supposed to know so an app would be very handy for this boring subject.

pavaroti:

Puddlejumper:

Im employed as an ADR driver but have forgotten most the stuff your supposed to know so an app would be very handy for this boring subject.

Given that you find the subject boring and you’ve forgotten most of the stuff you’re supposed to know, I’ll give you a reminder.

Most of the responsibilities fall to the consignor and the carrier, so an employed driver is actually responsible for very little indeed.

I hope that helps and isn’t too boring.

pavaroti:

Puddlejumper:

The app is called “dangerous goods manual” in the app market and the icon is a black flame on orange background. I’ve downloaded it and had a look, its not bad but its really for reference and not meant for study! It might come in handy after qualification.

I have found a PDF file for both of the adr bibles (the two big orange books) that you can download for free from www.unece.org website look for the ADR section i find them handy to have available on my laptop if I’m not sure on things.