added to the user agreement today

Well yeah obviously, it just seems that there’s one rule for people on pre-mod and one rule for people who aren’t.

For example; I wrote “SmashedCrabFace likes this” on a recent post, it was disallowed. Why was that? If somebody else wrote it, would it have been removed?

Rikki-UK:

Muckaway:
How about letting people know how much longer they are to be pre mod’d? To my knowledge I haven’t offended anyone (and kept my opinion re the M1 crash thread to myself) yet I’m still in the naughty corner…
No problems with removing off topic posts/threads either.

Tip
removed from a thread today

I couldn’t give a toss.

A highly constructive comment. and by adding it with all your wisdom probably helped the admin team in any review of pre mod they may make :wink:

I thought it was straight to the point and no messing about; It’s my honest answer. No offence intended Rikki, I didn’t swear or threaten anyone.

SmashedCrabFace:
Well yeah obviously, it just seems that there’s one rule for people on pre-mod and one rule for people who aren’t.

For example; I wrote “SmashedCrabFace likes this” on a recent post, it was disallowed. Why was that? If somebody else wrote it, would it have been removed?

Same rules just more strictly enforced for members on pre mod :wink:

But how does “SmashedCrabFace likes this” break the rules? I know Rikki’s got his “this isn’t Facebook and never will be” catchphrase but I can’t see the harm in my comment and I don’t understand why it was disallowed.

I don’t see what you’ve got against Facebook. It just floated on the stock market valued at $100,000,000,000 remember?

You’ve got the opportunity to grow something similar specifically for professional drivers. TruckNet’s never going to be worth $100billion, but you’d be silly not to acknowledge that Facebook is the most successful website of all time and perhaps some of what they do could be incorporated into TruckNet; for example, a “like” and “dislike” button and then I wouldn’t have to write “SmashedCrabFace like this” and have it disallowed for no good reason.

I would like to see an end the +1 and +2 posts as they are a waste of time.

jessicas dad:

So add a ‘like’ feature as on other forums and then it won’t annoy you :wink:

dar1976:

jessicas dad:

So add a ‘like’ feature as on other forums and then it won’t annoy you :wink:

Dosent annoy me it just seems a waste of time and is a lazy non constructive post

jessicas dad:

+1.

Sorry couldn’t resist

Silverback
3 Feathers Haulage

SmashedCrabFace:
But how does “SmashedCrabFace likes this” break the rules? I know Rikki’s got his “this isn’t Facebook and never will be” catchphrase but I can’t see the harm in my comment and I don’t understand why it was disallowed.

I don’t see what you’ve got against Facebook. It just floated on the stock market valued at $100,000,000,000 remember?

You’ve got the opportunity to grow something similar specifically for professional drivers. TruckNet’s never going to be worth $100billion, but you’d be silly not to acknowledge that Facebook is the most successful website of all time and perhaps some of what they do could be incorporated into TruckNet; for example, a “like” and “dislike” button and then I wouldn’t have to write “SmashedCrabFace like this” and have it disallowed for no good reason.

Firstly Facebook caters for quite a different audience than Trucknet, which is slightly more targeted. :wink:
I don’t anyone would disagree that Facebook is very successful, however as Rikki often points out Trucknet
is a very successful drivers site.

Secondly re the like and dislike button. I can see they would useful and would stop some threads going to several pages with meaningless posts. Personally I think the +1 posts are a waste of time, however we can’t stop members from posting them.

The board is using phpBB to run on. I don’t know whether it offers the ability have like and dislike buttons.
I can only assume (and Rikki would need to confirm this) that either the board doesn’t have that functionality built in
or the cost of adding or developing it is too high.

Can I ask why pre mods can’t pm people? Sorry to be off topic a bit, but seemed pointless to start a new thread.

Colingl:

SmashedCrabFace:

Firstly Facebook caters for quite a different audience than Trucknet, which is slightly more targeted. :wink:
I don’t anyone would disagree that Facebook is very successful, however as Rikki often points out Trucknet
is a very successful drivers site.

Secondly re the like and dislike button. I can see they would useful and would stop some threads going to several pages with meaningless posts. Personally I think the +1 posts are a waste of time, however we can’t stop members from posting them.

The board is using phpBB to run on. I don’t know whether it offers the ability have like and dislike buttons.
I can only assume (and Rikki would need to confirm this) that either the board doesn’t have that functionality built in
or the cost of adding or developing it is too high.

The answer is to change it to a proper forum software like vBulletin. Infinitely better than phpBB and easy to install modifications such as “like/dislike” buttons.

DonutUK:
The answer is to change it to a proper forum software like vBulletin. Infinitely better than phpBB and easy to install modifications such as “like/dislike” buttons.

can you imagine the chaos and complaints a major change like that would have :wink: I presume we would all have to register again for starters !!

Denis F:

DonutUK:

can you imagine the chaos and complaints a major change like that would have :wink: I presume we would all have to register again for starters !!

Nope, should be able to just convert it straight over.

Admittedly it might take a day or so with a forum this size, and obviously people would immediately find fault simply because it was “different”, but the end result would be an extremely stable and versatile platform.
vBulletin is much more than just a simple forum these days, you have various options from which you can have the full CMS, a blogs module, galleries etc etc.

Best forum software i have ever used, and i’ve used them all over the last 5 or 6 yrs, IPB, phpBB, SMF etc

This forum is simple to use, and easy to find your way around even if people still post in the wrong place (Jonnytruckfests’ thread about his warehouse job springs to mind). Why do we need a gallery section when the photo thread does it’s job?
Regarding posting in the wrong forum, how about a week where those that are are simply deleted?

Muckaway:
Can I ask why pre mods can’t pm people? Sorry to be off topic a bit, but seemed pointless to start a new thread.

Sorry only just saw this ( while I was deleting OT posts)

The reason is : - In the past when people were put on pre mod for personal attacks some of them just carried on the personal attacks by pm !

Is the Photo Forum moderated? I put some photos on yesterday evening (Quarry/Construction) and they’ve still not appeared…

It is, just doesn’t have a named mod like some of the other forums.
As for them not appearing, that would be the downside of pre-mod. :wink:

“Like” and “Dislike” buttons are a good idea.

One or two members spout the same rubbish incessantly, and most others (myself included, most of the time) just ignore it, so it goes on and on and on, possibly discouraging/distracting others from adding good stuff. A quick, one-click way to agree or disagree would improve the forum. People would think more, before posting contentious opinions, if they thought the whole forum was likely to press Dislike. There would be more incentive to present counter-arguments to nonsense posts, if the battle could be “won” with a good Like count. Effectively, disputes would tend to be resolved in a democratic way. It would also provide the Mods a quick way of identifying trolls and bigots.