Adblue

How does Adblue work? If I ran out, would my urine be an ppossible temporaty substitute?

Is it blue? :wink:

No adblue = no power
and if you run out while your on the road the garages charge a small fortune because they know you need it!

As it’s made from pig’s urine, I wonder if Muslims have theological problems with it?

And if Beverley Bell drives past she has a gas analyser built into her handbag that records the nox emissions :stuck_out_tongue:

I have ran out and drove 30 miles with warning panel saying Adblue Empty. I didn’t lose power but I have heard some lorries you do ■■ I was tempted to go to the toilet in the tank but I didn’t have the courage to do it and I’m too tight to go to the garage so thought ZB it and I was lucky

hgvhgv:
No adblue = no power
and if you run out while your on the road the garages charge a small fortune because they know you need it!

Not necessarily, previous owner of my truck told me it would still run but would be lumpy.

I drive a mates Merc occasionally and it ran out about 3 years ago, not running any differently but it shouldnt affect it really as it’s injected into the exhaust system not through the engine.

DAF’s definately restrict power, I believe it’s to reduce the emissions due to the lack of ad-blue, tells you on the dash “lack of ad-blue - power restricted” or words to that effect.

It is injected into the exhaust and essentially makes the microscopically fine soot particles clump together so they are not as small.

If you get a ‘low adblue’ warning on the dash, it has exactly the same effect on performance as a low fuel warning - i.e. none.

If you ignore said warning and continue driving until it runs out altogether it still will not (on most trucks) affect performance until you stop the engine. After restarting, engine torque will be reduced by about 30%, but that should be more or less it. You probably wouldn’t notice the difference unless quite heavily loaded (or you used a stopwatch or had a drag race with an identical truck).

Roymondo:
It is injected into the exhaust and essentially makes the microscopically fine soot particles clump together so they are not as small. .

Is that what they told you at the check-in after you were late for the herald :laughing:

I had the wiring loom rub on the chassis a few months ago, resulting in the computer thinking it had run out of adblue, I had a 5t load and was still trying to keep up with the 60t timber lorries.

On older magnums, you can replace the adblue with water, with no probs at all.

weeto:
On older magnums, you can replace the adblue with water, with no probs at all.

yes, on vehicles without the NOx sensor, that is no problem at all. If you get pulled in for example germany with water instead of adblue in the tank, you’ll be paying off a lot of the savings.

and it invalidates vehicle warranty on new vehicles if you run out according to the iveco service manager

It’s not pig ■■■■, it’s completely synthetic

sigh

claretmatt:

sigh

Why should you run out of adblue?? if you run out of derv you would expect a bollocking at least from the boss, (or the sack if you worked for me) :smiley: :smiley: why should adblue be treated differently? its still negligence, its part of your duty. regards Kevmac47

claretmatt:

sigh

I’m told it’s cracked from oil but even if it is then it is still a natural product. Everything on this planet came from this planet. :wink:

nick172sport:
and it invalidates vehicle warranty on new vehicles if you run out according to the iveco service manager

Doesn’t at DAF, aprox 300 quid to get it reset though.

weeto:

nick172sport:

Doesn’t at DAF, aprox 300 quid to get it reset though.

Really, mine just reset when filled.

Was the company’s fault, they didn’t want us filling up off site, left with a full ad-blue tank, returned with an empty one. They said it’s too expensive to buy off site, the lack of power must’ve cost a few squid in diseasal and wages, because after that, all trampers were permitted to get ad blue when required :unamused:

We’ve had this before lads, firstly I would say ask your workshop or someone that will know about Adblue. To put something into your vehicle you know nowt about is bordering on Amateurism!

To put simply Adblue is injected into the exhaust gases to neutralize the damaging carbons, soots and monoxide particles to ensure the engine reaches the safe emissions figures required. As it is injected into the down pipe of the exhaust then it has no effect on the engine itself although on some vehicles the ECU will detect no Adblue and send a warning to the driver (via the dash light) and reduce power slightly so the engine isn’t now chucking out so much harmful gases, it seems not all makes do this.

I don’t know who, what or where the idea came about that it was Urine, it isn’t, it is a Urea based chemical, man made and not from Pigs, Monkeys, Donkeys or the ■■■ that’s ■■■■■■■ into his tank. Urea is found in Urine along with other minerals and waste chemicals your body doesn’t need anymore, this has been mistaken for Urine. Much easier to just ask and find out properly about these things at work instead of lisenting to old wives tales, although some of these can be amusing!