Adblu in diesel tank

Re the adblu, its quite possible as long as it wasnt driven far that it hasnt done any damage. A flush through and filters drained would be the first thing to do and after determine any possible damage rather than strip the whole injection system down…

AndrewG:
[quote=“xichrisxi”
Someone did it on our place when we first had then put red diesel in the white tank,luckily he noticed before firing it up so got it towed & drained and tank taken off and cleaned very well…red derv in white tanks doesn’t go down to well with DVSA :smiley:

It doesnt do the injection system/ engine any harm though as its only a red dye and burns the same as white…
[/quote]
True but would of done the companies pocket some harm if the DVSA dipped it and found red derv…

xichrisxi:

AndrewG:
[quote=“xichrisxi”
Someone did it on our place when we first had then put red diesel in the white tank,luckily he noticed before firing it up so got it towed & drained and tank taken off and cleaned very well…red derv in white tanks doesn’t go down to well with DVSA :smiley:

It doesnt do the injection system/ engine any harm though as its only a red dye and burns the same as white…

True but would of done the companies pocket some harm if the DVSA dipped it and found red derv…
[/quote]
Dunno how true it is but apparently there are also “invisible” markers added to Red? So filtering it through fullers earth or what ever gets it looking clear, but its still detectable? As another aside how often are trucks dipped for red these days? In running EU Ive not been dipped in over . . . 20years now.

dvsa dipping tanks, I thought it were an hmrc issue ■■?

Franglais:

xichrisxi:

AndrewG:
[quote=“xichrisxi”

Dunno how true it is but apparently there are also “invisible” markers added to Red? So filtering it through fullers earth or what ever gets it looking clear, but its still detectable? As another aside how often are trucks dipped for red these days? In running EU Ive not been dipped in over . . . 20years now.
[/quote]
The price i pay for bunker fuel at ‘my’ yard it wouldnt even be worth the risk. Tbh ive never had the tank dipped either.

raymundo:

Probably heard they do in an RDC waiting room.

raymundo:

Being only a tax issue i would have thought the same, its hmrc rather than dvsa…

Franglais- forgot to add, youre right ref the UV marker, i dont know what method they use in the UK but over here they use an exhaust filter which shows up parts per million. It only works in older diesels though as with DPF and Urea injection (adblu) this destoys the UV marker. I believe tank dipping can only show up red with more than 20/1 ratio…

weeto:

raymundo:

The DVSA will be with them,the DVSA pull you over…and I don’t sit in RDC waiting rooms

AndrewG:
Franglais- forgot to add, youre right ref the UV marker, i dont know what method they use in the UK but over here they use an exhaust filter which shows up parts per million. It only works in older diesels though as with DPF and Urea injection (adblu) this destoys the UV marker. I believe tank dipping can only show up red with more than 20/1 ratio…

Quinizarin is used in the UK. It’s detectable at a ratio lower than 1:1,000,000 in diesel and it’s the chemical compound that is checked in a lab, not the colour (which is checked at the roadside).

You can however use red diesel (gas oil) in a vehicle that is SORN, so if you have a unit for shunting it’s fine, you could then drain the tank, tax the vehicle and put it back on the road but the red diesel would still be detectable but totally legal as it was used off road.

xichrisxi:

weeto:

raymundo:

The DVSA will be with them,the DVSA pull you over…and I don’t sit in RDC waiting rooms

Pass Todhills most days of the week and there’s regularly a HMRC van in there doing checks alongside DVSA.

xichrisxi:

weeto:

raymundo:

HMRC don’t need DVSA to pull you over they can stop you and dip on their own and can regularly be seen at various ports and MSA’s around the country.

Be interesting to know if they used a proper adblue pump or just attached it to some other generic pump with a generic nozzle. Also wonder if they were a new driver as no one explained to me the difference between adblue and diesel - luckily I knew from previous sources, but a newbie could just see a pump and drop in a load of the wrong stuff I guess.

Of course if slightly more experienced and proper pump then send them to Transline so they can work for Argos on ■■■■■■ vans and nothing ever bigger! :slight_smile:

As for VOSA, the only time I was stopped they had VOSA / DVSA, HMRC and police sitting there looking rather bored. Maybe depends what they’re up to and where the truck comes from.

Minger:
After finishing his run, an agency driver at our place filled diesel tank with 122 litres of adblu then fired her up. Obviously this killed the motor flat,but what damage to the engine has been done and what will Iveco need to do to fix it? Thanks

Which translates as “I ■■■■■■ up and want to find out how much trouble im in and how much ive just cost my boss in repairs but ill pretend it was an agency guy who did it so no one on TN tells me what a tube I am”

harrawaffa:

xichrisxi:

weeto:

raymundo:

Pass Todhills most days of the week and there’s regularly a HMRC van in there doing checks alongside DVSA.

Thats called a multi agency checkpoint, not DVSA tank dipping.
And like the DVSA, you would be having a bad day to be getting stopped and having your tank dipped, 1996 is the first and last time I had dealings with HMRC re red in RAF northolt, they was not interested in actually checking the tank just asked how old the truck was then drove off, and 1998 was the last time I had dealings with a roadside check with the then ministry.

I’ve personally witnessed tank dipping at various MSA’s, Birchanger on the M11 springs to mind. At that one, I didn’t see any VOSA/DVSA officials knocking about. Just some bods wearing yellow high-viz’s.

Radar19:
I’ve personally witnessed tank dipping at various MSA’s, Birchanger on the M11 springs to mind. At that one, I didn’t see any VOSA/DVSA officials knocking about. Just some bods wearing yellow high-viz’s.

More likely then the caravan fraternity looking for free diesel…

xichrisxi:

weeto:

raymundo:

not necessarily, twice I’ve been pulled over in nearly thirty years! Customs on their own! :sunglasses: once going into immingham iirc 1994 and 2002 on Manchester airport in my truck and mrs in my personal diesel car. :laughing: guess again? :grimacing:

AndrewG:

Radar19:

More likely then the caravan fraternity looking for free diesel…

Taking away samples in 45 gallon drums?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

I got dipped by HMRC when I stopped for a break a couple of years ago at leeming bar services. They did every truck there!