Ad Blue into the derv tank?

Any info on this problem greatly appreciated.Not personally involved my Maggie doesn’t do
modern just info required for a buddy with major problems.Thank you in advance.

Well, AdBlue is heavier than water, whereas diesel is lighter than water, therefore AdBlue will always settle at the bottom of the tank and can be syphoned off, or drained off using the drain plug if the truck has one until clean diesel appears.

It’s to partially avoid this problem that AdBlue tank collars have ring magnets fitted, a service station pump should constantly “click off” if it doesn’t detect a magnet. The ■■■■■■■ things seem to love constantly clicking off even when you are trying to fill the AdBlue tank. :stuck_out_tongue:

don’t run the engine :wink:

Thanks gentlemen,found a whole load of stuff on the net regarding this problem,buddy
has a large bill coming to sort out an almost brand new rig,problem is we don’t know how
the hell ad blue ended up in derv tank…driver seems.Harry just had a new header tank fitted to Maggie almost 10 years old,a tiny little split allowed water to spray out so I never
had a puddle on the road,didn’t do bad kept filling it for 3 days and got it home,to hell with paying Renault France.

Last one I had that done that needed a pump, injectors, tank and lines cleaning. Made a right mess!

Had a customer do this on a XF 105 ,slowly but surely the pump units failed 1 by 1 over a period of time

Scary,go ahead given to repair vehicle…estimated cost…£12,000 that must hurt.

Armagedon:
Scary,go ahead given to repair vehicle…estimated cost…£12,000 that must hurt.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

What needs replacing?

Jesus wept.

Put 6 injectors in a Premium Lander - Failed in 3 batches of 2 :cry:

neversweat1:

Why do the injectors fail though? What does AdBlue do to internal components that it can’t just be sorted out by flushing through the diesel system with clean diesel?

Will let you know next week final cost and what was replaced and probably time of my buddys
funeral if he gets anymore depressed.

as Norb says, I had a 105 where adblue was put into the derv tank. First injection failed and we got her into a dealership. Drained the tank and replaced the injector. Over the next two weeks each other injector failed, one at a time, cost around £7000.00

I’m told it crystalises in the injectors, which makes sense because if you ever see it dry on the floor of the yard, that’s exactly what it does.

Its a killer, don’t want that again.

Knowall you describe exactly what has happened re the injectors but you can add to that list a new fuel pump,lines cleaned or replaced and tanks
washed out taking the expected bill in excess of certainly £10k.

Harry Monk:

neversweat1:

Why do the injectors fail though? What does AdBlue do to internal components that it can’t just be sorted out by flushing through the diesel system with clean diesel?

Ours started off with the fuel bleed light coming on - Cleaned out the pre filter then 2 days later it’s misfiring. Change 2 injectors then 2 more a few days after that then the final 2 10 days later. As it was under warranty we had to take fuel samples for analysis which showed ad blue contamination. After contacting the Company the driver admitted putting ad blue in with a new pump they had just installed at Tot Hill Services. He had put 65 litres in a 300 litre tank though. Made it worse by not owning up to it at the start otherwise if we had known we’d have drained and flushed it but it only came to light when the reports came back 3 weeks after :cry:

I came soooo close to doing this at fleet north during the week, the coffee kicked in just in time!

You shouldn’t really be able to do that at a commercial pump though, they are supposed to be able to detect that the nozzle is in an AdBlue tank as they have a magnet in the filler neck, or so I thought anyway.

Harry Monk:
You shouldn’t really be able to do that at a commercial pump though, they are supposed to be able to detect that the nozzle is in an AdBlue tank as they have a magnet in the filler neck, or so I thought anyway.

I’ve never used an Adblue pump yet that works 100% properly.

I can usually put in 200 litres of fuel in quicker than 10-15 of Adblue.

Well the ad Blu pumps dont even work in the ad Blu tanks so god knows how you manage to get it in the derv tank, I get so frustrated with Blu pumps that I’ve pushed my ad Blu filter in to the tank as I can never get the bloody things to work.

Air 1 & the other pump boys must be losing hundreds of thousands of pounds due to not fit for purpose design!!!