Actual learning the driving part

As the title says. I’m a natural worrier, so when it comes to me going in for the actual driving part of the lgv/hgv I’m a little nervous.

I’m ok when it comes to the theory test parts… that’s where I excel usually. But when it comes down to the practical part I get nervous. …

Any pointers out there for me?

Thanks in advance

Firstly you need to find a instructor you are compatible with, so this is why it’s important to have a assessment drive before booking.

A good instructor will help you relax during your training.

Training should also be a enjoyable experience.

Where are you from Rich?

Paul

Take an advanced driving course and test in your car before going for LGV :bulb:

It is not the vehicle size that causes most driving issues but the lack of observation and appropriate action

Advanced and LGV driving are very close to each other in driving terms so doing an advanced in your own familiar car will set you up nicely for LGV training - just ask those ex police officers on here who did the police advance then did the LGV = they made the LGV look easy

ROG:
Take an advanced driving course and test in your car before going for LGV :bulb:

It is not the vehicle size that causes most driving issues but the lack of observation and appropriate action

Advanced and LGV driving are very close to each other in driving terms so doing an advanced in your own familiar car will set you up nicely for LGV training - just ask those ex police officers on here who did the police advance then did the LGV = they made the LGV look easy

Yeah because everyone can afford to do that! Why don’t you do your A and D too, after all its only money eh Rog?

Reef:

ROG:

Yeah because everyone can afford to do that! Why don’t you do your A and D too, after all its only money eh Rog?

AD courses are less than £150 & LGV courses can be 10x that

Whats A & D ?

ROG:
Whats A & D ?

:confused:

A = Motorcycle D = Bus

ROG:

Don’t understand that statement one little bit.

Also in my opinion it’s everything in relation to do with the size of the truck.

Paul :smiley:

elmet training:

ROG:

Don’t understand that statement one little bit

Apparently Rog thinks anyone aspiring to become a HGV driver has either won the lottery or was born with a sizable silver spoon in ones mouth!

elmet training:
Firstly you need to find a instructor you are compatible with, so this is why it’s important to have a assessment drive before booking.

A good instructor will help you relax during your training.

Training should also be a enjoyable experience.

Where are you from Rich?

Paul

I live in garforth mate.

I will pm you Rich

The OP was concerned about the practical side which is why I suggested doing an AD in their own car so they could get to a really good standard without the pressure of learning a different vehicle

We all know that much of the first part of doing LGV training can be getting a trainee to a good standard of driving so why try and do both at the same time when one aspect can be sorted beforehand?

ROG:
We all know that much of the first part of doing LGV training can be getting a trainee to a good standard of driving so why try and do both at the same time when one aspect can be sorted beforehand?

No the first part of training is to get the candidate comfortable with the feel and size of the truck.

The standard of driving will then progress with correct tuition after this is achieved.

Are you saying that you will drive for them whilst they get used to the size?

If yes then why when with the right skills they could already have that? :confused:

Before driving a class 2,the biggest vehicle I had ever been in charge of was a 3 door fiesta…I passed class 2 first time and I had the same “worries” about the step up in size,within a day you’ll be used to it…stop pratting about worrying and get it done fella :slight_smile:

ROG:
Are you saying that you will drive for them whilst they get used to the size?

:confused:

No the trainee drives more they drive more they get use to the feel of the truck, there on nice easy quiet roads to start with then I slowly start stepping things up as there confidence grows.

There’s an old saying Rog “practice makes perfect”

Im not with you on this one Rog

Are you saying that it would NOT be easier for a trainee if they already had high driving skills?

ROG:
Are you saying that it would NOT be easier for a trainee if they already had high driving skills?

People have different driving skills so this is why I do an assessment but to advise them to do an advance car driving course before they start LGV training is absolutely berserk IMO.

Definitely not needed

elmet training:

ROG:

People have different driving skills so this is why I do an assessment but to advise them to do an advance car driving course before they start LGV training is absolutely berserk IMO.

Definitely not needed

And money better spent on an additional days practice/tuition in the size vehicle in question!

elmet training:

ROG:

Definitely not needed

I did not say it was generally needed but it is an option for the OP who has issues in order to address perhaps one of those issues which makes the actual training less stressful for the OP

Time for my 2 pennyworth!! I can actually see both sides of this discussion.

My attitude is that we’re happy to train folks from whatever standard they’re at and I wouldn’t encourage them to take additional training before starting LGV. But, if they choose to, that’s really not a problem.

Unusually, sitting firmly on the fence, Pete :laughing: :laughing: