Actual learning the driving part

Peter Smythe:
Unusually, sitting firmly on the fence, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

And also got splinters this time Pete :smiley:

Paul :smiley:

richcfc1:
As the title says. I’m a natural worrier, so when it comes to me going in for the actual driving part of the lgv/hgv I’m a little nervous.

I’m ok when it comes to the theory test parts… that’s where I excel usually. But when it comes down to the practical part I get nervous. …

Any pointers out there for me?

Thanks in advance

hi richcfc, in a few words not a thing to worry about.
in a few more words, ive just had my first day driving in the class2, i have been all over the Northeast, i mean absolutely everywhere on many tight very crowded highstreets, country lanes, motorways, duals, through every kind of roadworks and contraflows, where there is barely a few inches between lanes(A1), up and down steep hills, places i normally wouldnt go in my car, cos its too busy and and i dont know the areas too well, the gearbox 4 over 4 slapbox took about 3 minutes to master, and i loved every minute of it, however the mistakes i did make were on aproaches to junctions, roundabouts etc, all the forward planning stuff, trying to fit all that stuff in before you get to the junction/roundabout isnt easy but gets easier as the day goes on, and also the length of the vehicle when cornering, observation i nedd to work on too, i can agree with ROG on the Advanced Driving it would of helped me no end, and would compliment anybodys LGV lessons, i also agree a lot with the getting used to the size of the vehicle part too.

WHEN ITS YOUR TURN,JUST ENJOY IT RICHCFC, LOOK FORWARD TO IT WITH A SMILE, DONT WORRY FOR A MOMENT

Poor Richcfc1 only came on here for some friendly advice!

Here is my advice, going by what we have offer before;

1. Don’t book a full course, do just one day training, see how you get on first without pressure of the test in a few days.

2. Always have an assessment before booking the training above, so that you find a nice school that will consider your needs above theirs.

3. DO THE TRAINING IN AN AUTOMATIC TRUCK, you still get a full licence and its soooooo much easier!

4. Book the rest of your training and test as a block course if you feel happy to progress to the test, if not repeat step 1.

It may be more expensive this way, but there is no point failing your test because you don’t feel ready. Did you pass your car driving test on the first attempt?

Just my thoughts, we have trained drivers from Garforth College before, so not far from you.

I think the reaction to the OP has been a bit OTT. He only said he’s a bit nervous about the practical. I expect most candidates are the same.

It’s vital that the candidate is comfortable with the trainer otherwise it’s downhill all the way.

I also agree with Laurie that it’s easiest to learn on an auto.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Richcfc1

I don’t imagine you expected most of the above response to a simple basic question.

The driving part is the fun part of the whole overly complex process. In over 30 years to my knowledge and in my experience nobody has done the advanced course before starting. In fact car ADI trainers are a complete pain to teach.

Within 2 hours you will be very comfortable with the vehicle controls. By the end of day 1 you will love it. 24 hours later you won’t be far from test standard and still only half way through the course.

Relax and enjoy. Ignore the auto/manual banter. Either option is not difficult.

Finally choose a trainer that you can have a laugh and bit of banter with. All good trainers know this is a big part of the process. Good luck

As someone who had a bad experience in a large 18 tonner when learning, the size can be scary but the best advice is to go and try it. Go and book an assessment, this is where the trainer can give you an honest opinion of what he thinks you need. The sign of a good trainer is someone who can put even the most nervous person at ease in any size truck.