Acting as a TM

Got a bit of a random email this morning from a guy based just down the road from me, he claims to be in the initial stages of starting up for himself and has booked on to his CPC exam later this year. Anyway he wants to know if I would act as his TM whilst he awaits his CPC. He apparently got my details from the o licence application in the paper several weeks ago. Being a very untrusting person I have found this strange - is it legal to do this, especially as I am about to take delivery of my own vehicles to take care of. Does anyone else on here do this?

It would be legal, provided you exercised control over the company rather than just being a “name on the form” but I would strongly advise against doing it unless you are prepared to risk losing your repute.

MysonVinnie:
Got a bit of a random email this morning from a guy based just down the road from me, he claims to be in the initial stages of starting up for himself and has booked on to his CPC exam later this year. Anyway he wants to know if I would act as his TM whilst he awaits his CPC. He apparently got my details from the o licence application in the paper several weeks ago. Being a very untrusting person I have found this strange - is it legal to do this, especially as I am about to take delivery of my own vehicles to take care of. Does anyone else on here do this?

if you don’t know much about the guy, stay well clear, it could be a front for anything, he may be a bad lad already and would jeopardise your license. At the moment you must have got some repute, you wouldn’t want to lose that would you?

I have never met the guy! Just done a search on google and seen loads of ‘companies’ offering this service. I think I will reply to him with a polite NO!

MysonVinnie:
I have never met the guy! Just done a search on google and seen loads of ‘companies’ offering this service. I think I will reply to him with a polite NO!

I’d leave it too mate.

I’m with Harry and Malc on this.

To me, the randomness would be a bit of a giveaway.

As wheelnut & Harry Monk suggest, too much to loose with little or no gain even if it is as he said ‘only till he gets his cpc’. As well as my own O licence I’m TM for a friend who has two bodyshops (1 liverpool & 1 in Manchester) & runs 1 recovery vehicle at each depot. He’s a personal friemd who I’ve known for 20 yrs and trust totally, I oversee his operation & am in charge of my own destiny & repute where his O licence is concerened.

I wouldn’t trust him either!!

Ross.

Well I just emailed him back to say no, and within seconds I get a reply saying that he has managed to find someone via this forum! Any ideas who this is, it will be someone based in Kent.

If you are working full time with your own business Vosa will not let you act as TM for anyone else.The goalposts moved last December.

I do this for another company but I’ve known them for years and became their tm when they went international but I don’t think I’d be too keen to get involved with strangers.

MysonVinnie:
Well I just emailed him back to say no, and within seconds I get a reply saying that he has managed to find someone via this forum! Any ideas who this is, it will be someone based in Kent.

did the original email come through the Trucknet system?

Wheel Nut:

MysonVinnie:

did the original email come through the Trucknet system?

No it came direct to me apparently as a result of my o licence application advert

Is there a age limit to which someone can be a TM? I’ve a old friend I worked with for over ten years who turns 73 this year but he’s still fit as a fiddle, he’s looking for some work as he’s now packed in driving.

The guy I currently employ as my TM is not up to scratch and constantly having time off and it’s not acceptable.

So basically would Vosa object because of his age? He’s very good and run his own vehicles for over 30 years!

I’ve never seen any restriction on age, as long as he’s physically and mentally fit to do the job I can’t see them objecting.

Paul

repton:
I’ve never seen any restriction on age, as long as he’s physically and mentally fit to do the job I can’t see them objecting.

Paul

He’s as fit as they come!

mixer driver:

repton:

Paul

I suppose at 73, it doesn’t really matter if you lose your repute :open_mouth:

I was in the chemist this morning and an old chap in front of me collected his prescription. He asked the chemist if he could cut each tablet into quarters.

The chemist grinned and said, look, these are ■■■■■■ and a quarter would not even give you an erection.

The bloke grinned and said, son I don’t want an erection. I just want to go for a ■■■■ without wetting my slippers…

mixer driver:

repton:

Paul

There is no way that anyone can object to your chap being your TM because of his age.They would be done for discrimination if they opposed it.I haven’t seen anything on the form regarding age as long as you are competent.He will probably give you better advice than a lot of young blokes.

Dave the Renegade:

mixer driver:

repton:

Paul

There is no way that anyone can object to your chap being your TM because of his age.They would be done for discrimination if they opposed it.I haven’t seen anything on the form regarding age as long as you are competent.He will probably give you better advice than a lot of young blokes.

I’m sure Vosa ain’t ageist :wink:

Anyway he’s on my O licence now as my TM gave his notice as immediate effect :laughing:

it must be prety easy to pass the cpc nowadays.
if you had a cpc yourself, then you should know the legalities.
but in answer to your question. yes you can.

limeyphil:
it must be prety easy to pass the cpc nowadays.
if you had a cpc yourself, then you should know the legalities.
but in answer to your question. yes you can.

I did my CPC about 15 years ago, i wasn’t 100% sure on the legalities hence my question

Whats the notice a TM needs to give his employer?