Acquired rights - transport manager

I’m a little uncertain about this, so for clarification -
Does this only apply to transport managers who have never passed a C.P.C course only
or
Also people who have passed a C.P.C. course in the past but have not “used” it to be a transport manager losing their rights to be a transport manager.

The reason I ask is that I passed my National & International courses when it was a “lifetime” certificate but now it is on a 5 year renewal basis (as is all hgv driving licence as of tomorrow). I’m worried I now have to resit the C.P.C if I decide to become a transport manager again.

I suspect you are getting the driver CPC and operator CPC mixed up.

As far as I am aware the operator CPC is still a lifetime qualification so you have no need to worry.

Paul

What Paul said.

I know the difference between the driver C.P.C and operator one hence the mention of national and international qualifications.
What I maybe confused about is that I think the operators C.P.C only lasts 5 years now as the hgv licence for driving is.
So if it does only last 5 years now and I haven’t used it in the last 5 years am I gonna lose it?

No it’s still a lifetime cpc but if you have only got national you have untill dec this year to get international or you have to sit the whole thing again.

I haven’t heard anything at all to the effect that an Operator’s CPC only lasts for five years now and I’m sure VOSA would have let operators know if it did. Presumably as per the post above, this refers to those who only hold a National CPC certificate having a limited time to upgrade to International. However, even if they don’t do this they can still be TM on a National O licence.

Jonah 1:
What I maybe confused about is that I think the operators C.P.C only lasts 5 years now as the hgv licence for driving is.

Nope, still a lifetime qualification. If they’ve changed it they’ve done it very quietly because it hasn’t been mentioned on here or in Commercial Motor…

Paul

I think I’ve worked it out now, this is to do with people who acquired the CPC qualification through Grandfather’s Rights who need to get an acquired rights certificate by the end of the year, there’s an article about it in the current CM.

Harry Monk:
I think I’ve worked it out now, this is to do with people who acquired the CPC qualification through Grandfather’s Rights who need to get an acquired rights certificate by the end of the year, there’s an article about it in the current CM.

yep :slight_smile:

It won’t affect you, because you sat the exams.

That’s the answere I was looking for ta

If you want an international but passed the standard before 2000 I thought you have to sit both again ?

I got my national CPC back in 1983 so can i upgrade to international without an exam now?

jackslad:
I got my national CPC back in 1983 so can i upgrade to international without an exam now?

Afraid not. You took the National CPC before OCRS took it over in 2000, you did it under the old examination board and you can’t upgrade to International, you would need to do the whole CPC course again.

Anybody who took and passed a National CPC course since 2000 under OCRS can upgrade to International by sitting just the OCRS international exam, but only for a limited period. It was supposed to be until December 2012, but now it has been extended by a year.

Anyone who got their CPC under “Grandfather’s Rights” is affected by this change and only them, they will be people who never sat any exam but were running transport companies when CPC licensing came in, they will all be in their early 70’s now at the youngest, and it only affects those who have not been involved in running a transport company in the last 10 years.

:smiley: Yeah it was the grandfather rights I had mine for standard international and now have the new acquired rights but ain.t in my early seventies. :smiley: :laughing: :laughing:

No, I’ve read the article now and it did say when it came in which was later than I thought, so 50s and over at a guess (Can’t find my copy of CM atm).

Cheers Harry I feel better now :smiley: :laughing: :laughing:

All you need to know:

docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=ca … 4vp6OxAVPw

Hi to everyone, My first time posting on trucknet, Hope I don’t make an arse of myself !
I’d like to ask some advice on this topic please, I have a CPC, National road haulage operations, which I passed in March 1991, Issued by RSA examinations board.
My first question is, Does this CPC still count (I Know it’s no good for international) or must I take the new style National and International CPC ?
My second question is, I changed my name by deedpoll (For personal and legitamate reasons!) in 1997, Can I obtain a new certificate in my (New) name? Obviously if this CPC doesn’t count anymore I shan’t be bothering to change name on it !
I am asking advice because I’m interested in the idea of hiring out as a TM, Long way to go yet though, Just looking into the possibilities. I have tried searching on trucknet but not got very far, I’ve tried searching on VOSA, DOT and DSA with no luck either.
Many thanks in advance for any assistance / advice :smiley:

vwsen2000:
Hi to everyone, My first time posting on trucknet, Hope I don’t make an arse of myself !
I’d like to ask some advice on this topic please, I have a CPC, National road haulage operations, which I passed in March 1991, Issued by RSA examinations board.
My first question is, Does this CPC still count (I Know it’s no good for international) or must I take the new style National and International CPC ?
My second question is, I changed my name by deedpoll (For personal and legitamate reasons!) in 1997, Can I obtain a new certificate in my (New) name? Obviously if this CPC doesn’t count anymore I shan’t be bothering to change name on it !
I am asking advice because I’m interested in the idea of hiring out as a TM, Long way to go yet though, Just looking into the possibilities. I have tried searching on trucknet but not got very far, I’ve tried searching on VOSA, DOT and DSA with no luck either.
Many thanks in advance for any assistance / advice :smiley:

Your certificate is for life, but if you want to get the internetional part, you can’t. you’ll have to do the lot again.
As for the deedpoll part. If you can use it, why would you if you’re keeping your head down?