Ackworth / Onward Transport

brothertonmick:
This one has been in a field just outside pontefract for as long as i can remember.

Yes mate theres a few old trls like that stactered about round ponty area mostly on farms round the east hardwick one of the directors live that way.those tlrs were from the old Spillers job at Ack curtains used to open from the middle out 16 plt trls for the shop dels
BIG AW

royhebb2:

BIG AW:

royhebb2:
AUP BIGAW IM BACK ,JUST SEEN MY OLD MOTOR C116 WHERE DID YOU GET THAT PHOTO FROM, BLOODY ELL, ROYHEBB2, .

BIG AW:
Found a few more old photos some might have been posted before.
The crusader was from the onward depot at castleford must be parked on the sevices somewhere the flat looks like its loaded with tanks from Sturges.
The 2nd and 3rd are of the C.R.T.S. that used to go over the water it was run with a firm from Belgium L. Van Gaever they used to swap trl on the docks and also go over with the full kit i dont know if the Belgium firm is still going maybe one of the euro lads might know■■?.
The bottom one is of course an old wrecker by the look its taken at ackworth down in the bottom yard where the old tyre shop was.

Welcome back Roy!!! got that pic from Bubbleman i tink from the scrapbook files. Have you seen the reg as well SUG 246R they always said the traffic office was sweet on you :smiley: :smiley:

thanks andy soz I mean BIGAW yes ive just got a photo out of that wagon SUG246R got it brand new 1977,god I feel old now,its outside my house my 2 daughters stood at the front of it,ill put it on when I know how lol,

By god that photo brings back some memories, mi old fella had C117 spent some hours up an down from scotland on mi school holidays, sadly missed

hi,me, roy reed an geoffe chillo will be at prince william Castleford for a meal fri 4 oct we go every 2nd fri usually arrive about 7 pm ish ■■■ an av a natter, I do remember u roy b how u doing think am retired now agency not rang for about 3 month’s now, not that i’m botherd now.
may the sun all way’s shine on you

von henry:
hi,me, roy reed an geoffe chillo will be at prince william Castleford for a meal fri 4 oct we go every 2nd fri usually arrive about 7 pm ish ■■■ an av a natter, I do remember u roy b how u doing think am retired now agency not rang for about 3 month’s now, not that i’m botherd now.
may the sun all way’s shine on you

hiya alex or is it alec I will try and call in if I can, im doing airports now with a mini bus,should retire really but I cant,its in the blood they will have to shoot us I think,i still do the odd bit of agency work now and then ,just to keep my hand in,ive done my driver cpc so ok till 2019 lol roy hebblethwaite…

had a result on here made contact with the yank an old drive at Selby u may not remember him he’s living in Aberdeen was nice to hear from him, am of to meet roy and chillo tonight.
regards alex, but most call me alec

von henry:
had a result on here made contact with the yank an old drive at Selby u may not remember him he’s living in Aberdeen was nice to hear from him, am of to meet roy and chillo tonight.

You want to be careful Alec meeting people from the " tint a net" :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

BIG AW:

von henry:

You want to be careful Alec meeting people from the " tint a net" :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Your right there Andy, nearly as dangerous as meeting someone from Fraggle Rock Ponte, :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :wink: :wink: Regards Kev.

ur rite sum dogy peeps in ponty lol

Found a few old pics from a book about Ackworth a pair of tankers an old C.R.T.S loading and a tipper which was a part of the Ackworth group way back.

nice pics,i don’t know if any one remembers ■■■■ pratt,he passed away on 20th of December aged 66,his funeral is at riccal, st Mary’s church 4th of December,myself and roy reid an geoffe Chilton will be their.
alex

Just found this site. Amazing!. I was a fitter at Selby from 1971 to 1976. I left just as the Guy Big J6Ts were arriving. In the garage at various times were Johno, Ron Parker, Ken Durkin, Billy Atkins, Harry Radford and one or two others whose names I forget. Some drivers I haven’t seen mentioned are, in no particular order, Harry Hutton, Bert Wintersgill, George Ransome, John Cousans, Johnny Singleton, Arthur Grit, Tommy Smith, Dave Moore. Manager was Mc Kelvie and the yard men were Ken Milner and Jimmy Southern. My dad worked for Onward from 1958 till 1967. He had to stop driving due to illness but fortunately Onward got the contract with Castrol and dad worked in the stores filling churns and putting up orders for the delivery wagons. These wagons were driven by Bert Wintersgill and his mate for a time (I think) was Archie Wood. Bert just delivered churns and filled the garage oil cabinets while a second wagon delivered other oils and grease etc. The drivers on this vehicle included Albert Ward, John Draper and Barry ? who later moved to London and did the London end of the shunting. Archie later had his own little truck (a Leyland threepenny bit cab job) before moving up to the big stuff. If there are any Onward/Ackworth historians out there does anyone no of or remember a depot in Hull?. My dad got a “new” wagon in 1960 and it was fully painted in the company colours but lettered Scott Street Warehousing. His first one, an old Seddon OLL 843 was still in faded red nationalised BRS livery.

trunker3:
Just found this site. Amazing!. I was a fitter at Selby from 1971 to 1976. I left just as the Guy Big J6Ts were arriving. In the garage at various times were Johno, Ron Parker, Ken Durkin, Billy Atkins, Harry Radford and one or two others whose names I forget. Some drivers I haven’t seen mentioned are, in no particular order, Harry Hutton, Bert Wintersgill, George Ransome, John Cousans, Johnny Singleton, Arthur Grit, Tommy Smith, Dave Moore. Manager was Mc Kelvie and the yard men were Ken Milner and Jimmy Southern. My dad worked for Onward from 1958 till 1967. He had to stop driving due to illness but fortunately Onward got the contract with Castrol and dad worked in the stores filling churns and putting up orders for the delivery wagons. These wagons were driven by Bert Wintersgill and his mate for a time (I think) was Archie Wood. Bert just delivered churns and filled the garage oil cabinets while a second wagon delivered other oils and grease etc. The drivers on this vehicle included Albert Ward, John Draper and Barry ? who later moved to London and did the London end of the shunting. Archie later had his own little truck (a Leyland threepenny bit cab job) before moving up to the big stuff. If there are any Onward/Ackworth historians out there does anyone no of or remember a depot in Hull?. My dad got a “new” wagon in 1960 and it was fully painted in the company colours but lettered Scott Street Warehousing. His first one, an old Seddon OLL 843 was still in faded red nationalised BRS livery.

By eck thas going back a bit mate long before my time, i worked with Archie when he worked from Ackworth and Mac he was transfered to Ack as well when the traffic stopped running from Selby he was pused out not long after BOC took over but he wasnt fussed he was ok Mac to be fair.
I still see one or two old retired drivers i will asked about the Hull depot.

A few more pics borrowed from the photo forum.
Hope somebody knows the bloke lent on the bumper ?

BIG AW:

aup bigaw I remember him he had a nickname just like everybody else,don’t like saying it but im nearly sure it was ratface :astonished: :laughing: ask your dad I remember him driving the sleeper cab marathon,anyway hope you’ve had all the presents you wanted,merry Christmas & a happy new year royhebb :smiley: :smiley:

royhebb2:

BIG AW:

aup bigaw I remember him he had a nickname just like everybody else,don’t like saying it but im nearly sure it was ratface :astonished: :laughing: ask your dad I remember him driving the sleeper cab marathon,anyway hope you’ve had all the presents you wanted,merry Christmas & a happy new year royhebb :smiley: :smiley:

just on another note ive just seen the fitter from Selby writing about the Selby depot,i remember some of those names,george ransome he was a character oh boy I remember he used newspapers for curtains in guy big j,and Arthur pickard /roy reed etc etc ,we used to call Selby the handball depot we had some good old nights out sorry to here about ■■■■ pratt,god I could write a book ,im nearly sure one night at Carlisle truck stop he was in one of those first cheap sleeper cabs they had, we all went to bed but he had somebody with him nudge nudge,and the sleeper bit broke off :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: memories :wink: :wink:

Andy, do you know what happened to Graham Jarvis? I seem to remember he became an owner driver, but I haven’t heard of him for years. Regards and season’s greetings to you ( and your Dad). Kev.

kevmac47:
Andy, do you know what happened to Graham Jarvis? I seem to remember he became an owner driver, but I haven’t heard of him for years. Regards and season’s greetings to you ( and your Dad). Kev.

hiya its royhebb.ex cas driver ,last I heard of graham he was driving for a Doncaster firm,i saw him last year,just cant remember what firm tho,I used to bring the wages up for the birtley depot every Friday night,i was on night trunk from ackworth to Berwick upon tweed, somebody used to meet me at the services through the fence, or sometimes it was a young lad and I met him just past the angel, I think it was cheques tho not cash lol, :smiley: royhebb

I can remember graham being in a edition of truck magazine,doing a test drive on a new truck,but cannot remember which truck.I also remember he had a daft mask in the wagon and he used it to scare folk with.

Cant add anymore about Graham Kev than Roy and Les have added not seen him for years, he used to park at the back of the old cafe at upton last unit he had was a 113 scania i think but not heard anythink else.
All the best you lot for the new year.

Andy