Ackworth / Onward Transport

Found a few more old photos some might have been posted before.
The crusader was from the onward depot at castleford must be parked on the sevices somewhere the flat looks like its loaded with tanks from Sturges.
The 2nd and 3rd are of the C.R.T.S. that used to go over the water it was run with a firm from Belgium L. Van Gaever they used to swap trl on the docks and also go over with the full kit i dont know if the Belgium firm is still going maybe one of the euro lads might know■■?.
The bottom one is of course an old wrecker by the look its taken at ackworth down in the bottom yard where the old tyre shop was.

Great pics Andy, keep them coming. Regards Kev.

BIG AW:
A few more from the past.
The top one is one of the units that worked on the Spillers Foods contract (pet foods homepride flour )
The second pic i can remember it being taken it was outside No6 w/house at ack i think the man on the trl is a fitter called John Edwards you will know better Allan if you see this and the guy on the clamp truck is Harold Greenfield.
The scammell trunker is one of the Wheeler Road fleet which was part of the Ack group they were in Sheffield.
The last one is well sheeted load of bottles i would say like the corner boards lucky enough not to have to use them.

Hi, I’ve just bought the Seddon Atkinson in 401 in the picture above reg number C683 CWR. Does anyone have any more pictures or information on it?

Welcome to Trucknet Atki101… :smiley:

Atki101:

BIG AW:
The top one is one of the units that worked on the Spillers Foods contract (pet foods homepride flour )
The second pic i can remember it being taken it was outside No6 w/house at ack i think the man on the trl is a fitter called John Edwards you will know better Allan if you see this and the guy on the clamp truck is Harold Greenfield.
The scammell trunker is one of the Wheeler Road fleet which was part of the Ack group they were in Sheffield.
The last one is well sheeted load of bottles i would say like the corner boards lucky enough not to have to use them.

Hi, I’ve just bought the Seddon Atkinson in 401 in the picture above reg number C683 CWR. Does anyone have any more pictures or information on it?

Aye up mate if my memory is right Onward bought two and they were given too Tommy Murtagh and Roy Bailey but i cant remember which way round, they were put to work on gen haulage i think they were sold of before BOC took over i cant remember seeing them at the end
so sorry mate thats as much as i remember

BIG AW:

Atki101:

BIG AW:

Aye up mate if my memory is right Onward bought two and they were given too Tommy Murtagh and Roy Bailey but i cant remember which way round, they were put to work on gen haulage i think they were sold of before BOC took over i cant remember seeing them at the end
so sorry mate thats as much as i remember

Thanks for that, hopefully somebody might have some pictures.

ello drove for onward for a number of years,i heard onward had sum wagons at a museam in scunthorpe anyone know any thing about that.

von henry:
ello drove for onward for a number of years,i heard onward had sum wagons at a museam in scunthorpe anyone know any thing about that.

I still see some off the old drivers and ive not heard anything ,not to say it isnt true as far as i can remember all the vehs were transfered when they sold to BOC and if it was true they wound be at Ackworth if anywhere. It might be just a rumour if i find owt out i will post the info

BIG AW

hi.i rang onward they didnt know anything about a museaum, i still see sum drivers go for a drink with geoffe chilton every friday,and see roy reid now and again,i was at selby depot still doing a bit of driving agency mostly white van man now i must be mental.

Aye up Alec hows tricks ■■? didnt think Geoff Chilt was still alive. DOo you still have a supply ov pickled onions and red cabbage in the shed it must be running out by now??

hello,geoffe is much the same as u would have remember him,he’s 78 now.i have also been in touch with roy reid we all went for a meal last night at the prince of wales at whitwood we will be going in a fortnights time again your quite welcome to join us,ah them pickles sorry to say they’v all gone them were the days, have you finshed all the pop u used to get.
regards alex

No mate got no pop left i had to buy some weedkiller last summer broke my heart!!! i had to laugh the other week i was at me dads in his garage and found an old winding handle they were like gold dust at one time ask some folk now they have not got a clue what they are
I…am trying to picture Roy Reid did he used to drive one off the six wheeler flats at selby nice old boy with glasses ■■?
Theres one thing for sure i wont forget Geoff !!
I keep finding some old photos as you can see on this thred there not a lot about really to say the years it was going do you remember Tony Thorpe??
he as ask Ken Storey if he as got any from the past but the old sod isnt intrested to busy counting all his money made from the backs ov us and more so from you older end (respect).
Ive seen that the yard at selby as been turned into an houseing estate more coffers for Ken and Co, you should see the yard at ackworth its all houses now i still think spillers is up but the rest is gone.
My dad sends is regards to you and G Chilt say hello to him from me and Roy but i dont think he will remember me i only meet him a couple ov times he must have retired about 1990■■?
Talk later ,
Andy

8512004709_04097fd7d5.jpgSome more that ive found and borrowed.
This might have been you Alex■■?

hi.nice pic oh the joy’s of roping and sheeting,dont think it’s me don’t recognise num,yes roy did drive a 6 wheeler flatbed,wen I cleared me hut out had abpot 4 of them winding handles and loades of bulbs an ropes no wander u couldnt find em I give em all to hughes transport to get rid of em he thought it was his birthday

AUP BIGAW IM BACK ,JUST SEEN MY OLD MOTOR C116 WHERE DID YOU GET THAT PHOTO FROM, BLOODY ELL, ROYHEBB2, .

BIG AW:
The crusader was from the onward depot at castleford must be parked on the sevices somewhere the flat looks like its loaded with tanks from Sturges.
The 2nd and 3rd are of the C.R.T.S. that used to go over the water it was run with a firm from Belgium L. Van Gaever they used to swap trl on the docks and also go over with the full kit i dont know if the Belgium firm is still going maybe one of the euro lads might know■■?.
The bottom one is of course an old wrecker by the look its taken at ackworth down in the bottom yard where the old tyre shop was.

royhebb2:
AUP BIGAW IM BACK ,JUST SEEN MY OLD MOTOR C116 WHERE DID YOU GET THAT PHOTO FROM, BLOODY ELL, ROYHEBB2, .

BIG AW:

Welcome back Roy!!! got that pic from Bubbleman i tink from the scrapbook files. Have you seen the reg as well SUG 246R they always said the traffic office was sweet on you :smiley: :smiley:

von henry:

hiya alec old ■■■■,ive just been talking to BIGAW and he told me who you are, can you guess who I am,i had a few nights out with you and some of the other Selby lads down at purfleet,penrith,abington, ( mrs millars), brough wow remember brough :laughing: bet you remember my mates Gerry clegg.geoff talent,mick booth,tom thumb,cocko-leaky,tut orrell,micky mouse,laury cole,george bonson lol, ,i was at cas depot,where has everybody gone ,last I heard of you was at morrisons,remember jock mclean boy he could drink,nights out in livingstone, do you still live in micklefield,ive just seen my old wagon on pics c116, sug246r,that must have been me driving it cos I got it brand new and I painted some things on it and got a bollocking off Granville storey, royhebb

BIG AW:

royhebb2:

BIG AW:

Welcome back Roy!!! got that pic from Bubbleman i tink from the scrapbook files. Have you seen the reg as well SUG 246R they always said the traffic office was sweet on you :smiley: :smiley:

thanks andy soz I mean BIGAW yes ive just got a photo out of that wagon SUG246R got it brand new 1977,god I feel old now,its outside my house my 2 daughters stood at the front of it,ill put it on when I know how lol,

Ers an Old un Found it in a 50/60s on er Atki one of there Belgian jobs I think Cheers Chris CJA1.

Ackworth Rd Trans.JPG

This one has been in a field just outside pontefract for as long as i can remember.