Ackworth / Onward Transport

royhebb2:

kevmac47:
Andy, do you know what happened to Graham Jarvis? I seem to remember he became an owner driver, but I haven’t heard of him for years. Regards and season’s greetings to you ( and your Dad). Kev.

hiya its royhebb.ex cas driver ,last I heard of graham he was driving for a Doncaster firm,i saw him last year,just cant remember what firm tho,I used to bring the wages up for the birtley depot every Friday night,i was on night trunk from ackworth to Berwick upon tweed, somebody used to meet me at the services through the fence, or sometimes it was a young lad and I met him just past the angel, I think it was cheques tho not cash lol, :smiley: royhebb

I wouldnt mention Roy about meeting a young man on the services in the middle of the night and giving him money people might gt the wrong idea :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :slight_smile:

BIG AW:

royhebb2:

kevmac47:
Andy, do you know what happened to Graham Jarvis? I seem to remember he became an owner driver, but I haven’t heard of him for years. Regards and season’s greetings to you ( and your Dad). Kev.

hiya its royhebb.ex cas driver ,last I heard of graham he was driving for a Doncaster firm,i saw him last year,just cant remember what firm tho,I used to bring the wages up for the birtley depot every Friday night,i was on night trunk from ackworth to Berwick upon tweed, somebody used to meet me at the services through the fence, or sometimes it was a young lad and I met him just past the angel, I think it was cheques tho not cash lol, :smiley: royhebb

I wouldnt mention Roy about meeting a young man on the services in the middle of the night and giving him money people might gt the wrong idea :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :slight_smile:

andy you might ruin my reputation, you swine :grimacing:

A few more oldies the two at the top are down the bottom yard at Ackworth the middle two are on the top yard and the unit under the old low loader is parked at the side of the wash with the garage in the background.

wrecker.jpg

,,,.jpg

imagesCAWQ1JLM.jpg

royhebb2:

royhebb2:

BIG AW:
A few more pics borrowed from the photo forum.
Hope somebody knows the bloke lent on the bumper ?

aup bigaw I remember him he had a nickname just like everybody else,don’t like saying it but im nearly sure it was ratface :astonished: :laughing: ask your dad I remember him driving the sleeper cab marathon,anyway hope you’ve had all the presents you wanted,merry Christmas & a happy new year royhebb :smiley: :smiley:

just on another note ive just seen the fitter from Selby writing about the Selby depot,i remember some of those names,george ransome he was a character oh boy I remember he used newspapers for curtains in guy big j,and Arthur pickard /roy reed etc etc ,we used to call Selby the handball depot we had some good old nights out sorry to here about ■■■■ pratt,god I could write a book ,im nearly sure one night at Carlisle truck stop he was in one of those first cheap sleeper cabs they had, we all went to bed but he had somebody with him nudge nudge,and the sleeper bit broke off :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: memories :wink: :wink:

Is this why they called Selby the handball depot Roy

Some good pics there Andy, thanks to all for the input on Graham. Roy, the young lad you used to meet on the services to deliver the wages to was my young pal Iain, don’t worry your reputation is intact, at that time the only thing he was interested in getting into was this ERF. Best wishes to you all for the New Year, Ackworth/Onward was the best job I ever had, also you were a great crew to work with. Regards Kev.

This was taken by Roy Field outside his house he had called home “to use the bog” :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
its a 265 RR i think day cab used on the Spillers job out of Ackworth the year i guess would be around 1983/4

Kevin EWR 162T was that your motor or Gary Tweddle’s when i started at Birtley. The registration rings something in my head.
Iain

ERF64cu1:
Kevin EWR 162T was that your motor or Gary Tweddle’s when i started at Birtley. The registration rings something in my head.
Iain

Sorry Iain, doesn’t ring a bell, probably GT’s though, mine looked better than that!! Regards Kev. Ps. where’s the pics you promised■■?

Here’s a couple of unusual ones for you
A Hinchcliff tipper outside No4 (Ackworth) shed, during groundworks for the new workshops.

And wind the clock forward 25 years or so… Pink :stuck_out_tongue: who’d remember “Original New York Selzter”…

I think it looked quite fetching! - I don’t know why, but I have Mike Rudd’s name in mind for a name on that job!

Onwardnupward:
A Hinchcliff tipper outside No4 (Ackworth) shed, during groundworks for the new workshops.

And wind the clock forward 25 years or so… Pink :stuck_out_tongue: who’d remember “Original New York Selzter”…
I think it looked quite fetching! - I don’t know why, but I have Mike Rudd’s name in mind for a name on that job!

Does it have anything to do with waste of space or the job wasnt worth a ■■■■ ■■? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

BIG AW:

Onwardnupward:

Does it have anything to do with waste of space or the job wasnt worth a [zb] ■■? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

if I remember right that wagon was driven by mick barker :laughing: didn’t last long tho, royhebb

Yes Roy it was and i think when Mick got 404 in the Homepride livery 332 was painted the same and John Hatfield got it :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
BIG AW

BIG AW:
Yes Roy it was and i think when Mick got 404 in the Homepride livery 332 was painted the same and John Hatfield got it :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
BIG AW

Mick at the time when he had the pink lady had come back to work after breaking his wrist and had a note from the doctor excusing him ropes and sheets never pulled a flat again bless him , nevermind Mick was a sound bloke. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

god i remember the pink peril,brought it to workington one weekend as my truck was needing a service,told tony in the office i will be a laughing stock going through workington in that .drove through workington to thames board ignoring people

little ha ba:
god i remember the pink peril,brought it to workington one weekend as my truck was needing a service,told tony in the office i will be a laughing stock going through workington in that .drove through workington to thames board ignoring people

Would have made it worse Les with you having that ■■■■ tashe :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

hi all,recieved a letter from steve Morris’s wife,sadly he passed away in april2012,i worked with steve on the hazelwood contract shunting stock between Selby and Castleford, happy days he was a good friend. was chatting to roy reid other day he remembers a depot in hull next time we chat ill write it down an post it on here.went to ■■■■ pratts funeral was well attended with ex onward drivers mick goodwill, john mouncer among them

hiya andy and kev ive just been talking to graham Jarvis,he is agency driving now for sainsburys & next, and he is going to have a look at truknet,so keep a look out for him :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

royhebb2:
hiya andy and kev ive just been talking to graham Jarvis,he is agency driving now for sainsburys & next, and he is going to have a look at truknet,so keep a look out for him :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Thanks Roy, it will be good to hear from him again. Regards Kev. :smiley: :smiley:

kevmac47:

royhebb2:

Thanks Roy, it will be good to hear from him again. Regards Kev. :smiley: :smiley:

Hiya Lads I stopped at at rugby many moons ago and was having a drink with one of the
Dvrs from Ackworth tpt good bloke though one of the old school We got talking about Dafs
I had never seen one only Ack/Onw.He told me they never had any I am not a betting person
but took him on for a pint.Go and ring your Transport Mnger who had been there some time then
He came back red faced (I got my pint) Think it was round 60/70s Like Harry my heads going.
They were a wierd looking cab anyone any pics.
Take care.
GUESTY44 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

Guesty44:

kevmac47:

royhebb2:

Hiya Lads I stopped at at rugby many moons ago and was having a drink with one of the
Dvrs from Ackworth tpt good bloke though one of the old school We got talking about Dafs
I had never seen one only Ack/Onw.He told me they never had any I am not a betting person
but took him on for a pint.Go and ring your Transport Mnger who had been there some time then
He came back red faced (I got my pint) Think it was round 60/70s Like Harry my heads going.
They were a wierd looking cab anyone any pics.
Take care.
GUESTY44 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

Aye up GUESTY if you look back through this thred ive put some pics on the old DAFS they were wierd looking, before my time my dad says they were big inside for day cabs on the passenger side because they were left hookers converted and they had white steering wheels ,then again mi dad as been known to talk a load of ■■■■■■■■ :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: