Accident

mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/a3 … er-8604793

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

I must have literally just missed this, I left the retail park in Cowley at 4.30 and was heading back to Reading, RIP to all

Nice one @bbc Oxford. … asking people to send pictures of the accident , ‘if it’s safe to do so’…

[zb] vultures…

the nodding donkey:
Nice one @bbc Oxford. … asking people to send pictures of the accident , ‘if it’s safe to do so’…

[zb] vultures…

• 1 why not entice people to use mobiles while driving, but because we say “as long as it is safe to do so” then we are off the hook as we are asking people only to do it if it’s safe.

RIP to those who have died.

the nodding donkey:

[zb] vultures…

Same as I thought. :angry:

Tragic, a lot of heartbreak for many… :cry:

But if you can help us report on it, then thanks! :open_mouth:

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

the nodding donkey:

[zb] vultures…

They do this Nodders because their “journalists” are too busy reporting on important issues like yet another music festival for sandal wearers, and finding tedious and tenuous links to the Olympics.
Oxford mail aren’t much better but here’s their report…
m.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/14674285 … es_on_A34/

Happened on top of the Ridgeway or very near the top of the steep drag with the 7.5t limit for the righthand lane.

The “did you see anything” boards are out on both carriageways.

Such a sad loss of life.

R I P.

selby newcomer:
I must have literally just missed this, I left the retail park in Cowley at 4.30 and was heading back to Reading, RIP to all

Only by 12 hrs.

Why don’t they ever seem to publish the exact causes of these fatal accidents - rather than just “hush it all up”, and “leave everything open to speculation” like they do?

Bugger any “impending court cases”. How can “Lessons be learned” if the lesson is never taught in the first place? :frowning:

Winseer:
Why don’t they ever seem to publish the exact causes of these fatal accidents - rather than just “hush it all up”, and “leave everything open to speculation” like they do?

Bugger any “impending court cases”. How can “Lessons be learned” if the lesson is never taught in the first place? :frowning:

I guess it will be a year or two until the court case then very few details will be released, and after such a time span the seriousness of what happened is sort of lost. I do understand the need to suppress details so as fair trials can be had and the need to respect the privacy of those who have lost loved ones - but I certainly see your point and may be a greater-good could be in publicising why and how these accidents occur whilst the horror of it all is in so many peoples minds.

I still don’t think we have had the final outcome of the Bath / Tipper incident yet, and that must be coming up to two years!

The Bath tipper crash trial starts in November.

Winseer:

Thing is, if it’s a railway accident, you can go online and read literally a second by second account of the impact and whats the consequences are.

Road accidents don’t seem to have the same forensic approach although I’m sure it will be published at what speed the arrested driver was doing at the point of impact but not for example the speed of the other vehicles.

To cause this much horror on the top of this particular hill, surely he must have been unladen with it nailed to the floor - will it all come out in the wash?

That’s the question.

The road accident reports do exist but the police only sell them to solicitors for several hundred pounds a throw. I don’t think anyone ever looks into the root causes of all the serious accidents and we certainly never hear anything about them.

I can assure you root causes for Fatal collisions are looked at.

The reason only limited information is given out is that it takes quite a time to get all the information together.

Witness statements.
Offender interviews (such as in the case).
Forensic mechanical examination of vehicles involved and reports of same.
Collision investigator reconstruction report.
Medical reports inc Drugs/blood and Pathology.

File to Crown Prosecution Service regarding possible offences.

Court case usually at Crown for Serious matters which can take up to a year or more.

When I dealt with fatal collisions on a divisional traffic unit, there was a site meeting usually the next day or 2 to see if there were any road layout or engineengineering issues that may of contributed to the collision. For a Motorway collision the report just on the road surface and signing is usually about 10 pages long.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

Traffic Rat:
I can assure you root causes for Fatal collisions are looked at.

The reason only limited information is given out is that it takes quite a time to get all the information together.

Witness statements.
Offender interviews (such as in the case).
Forensic mechanical examination of vehicles involved and reports of same.
Collision investigator reconstruction report.
Medical reports inc Drugs/blood and Pathology.

File to Crown Prosecution Service regarding possible offences.

Court case usually at Crown for Serious matters which can take up to a year or more.

When I dealt with fatal collisions on a divisional traffic unit, there was a site meeting usually the next day or 2 to see if there were any road layout or engineengineering issues that may of contributed to the collision. For a Motorway collision the report just on the road surface and signing is usually about 10 pages long.

Hi Traffic Rat

As an ex traffic police Officer, it would be interesting to have your input on something discussed recently.

I recently witnessed a cycle “racing” event being held on the A1 on a bus Sunday morning with I estimated between 50-100 cyclists between a short stretch of the A1 leading up to black cat. I saw quite a few incidents, some minor to some very dangerous. But in the space of a few miles I’d say a lot of near misses. The event seemed highly organised and some of the behaviour by the participants can only be described as leaving other motorists feeling they had tressapassed onto a private racing track.

There was no police presence. I was so jaw dropped I trawled back through various aspects of the road traffic act, turns out they seem to be dining on loop holes at best. It seemed to me when the road is deemed dangerous prior authority permission should be saught and where appropriate, the road policed or closed. Now, if a busy A1 isn’t dangerous I don’t know what is. And given the lack of any Police or closure leads me to suspect this wasn’t authorised.

In which case, given the severity of the incidents witnessed why is this allowed when someone can get knicked for munching on a mars bar in a traffic que at standstill? I only ask as the attitudes of some of the cycling fraternity are a hot potato towards a haulage industry that seemingly is shouldering all of the responsibility single handedly.

Original thread here

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=139974

Cheers.
jtc

JTC, Good question, I know in my region we were always notified of these events, but they passed off without problems. Its possible that an office bod makes a risk assessment based on numbers, distance involved etc to say if police need to be involved.

As with many events either of this type or even stuff like a large scale flower show or V festival or similar, you wont see the police doing the traffic due to the costs involved. Hence its all private marshals or Traffic Management companies such as Arrow etc.

The police charge around £55-60 per hour, per officer for private cost work. This is why you only see them doing stuff like Abload ■■■■■■ where the road needs a complete closure for a short time and the police cost is factored into the overall complete cost of the contract.

Traffic Rat:
JTC, Good question, I know in my region we were always notified of these events, but they passed off without problems. Its possible that an office bod makes a risk assessment based on numbers, distance involved etc to say if police need to be involved.

As with many events either of this type or even stuff like a large scale flower show or V festival or similar, you wont see the police doing the traffic due to the costs involved. Hence its all private marshals or Traffic Management companies such as Arrow etc.

The police charge around £55-60 per hour, per officer for private cost work. This is why you only see them doing stuff like Abload ■■■■■■ where the road needs a complete closure for a short time and the police cost is factored into the overall complete cost of the contract.

Thanks Traffic Rat.

Interesting insight. I personally was both dismayed and stunned that such an event could take place on one of the UKs main busy dual carriageways whilst traffic flowed with no official control/closing. There were no private marshals, just all the accoutrements of a race with number riders everywhere complete with finishing line (car next to side of road with chequered flag hanging into carriageway).

I took a step back, drew a deep breath and had an “exterior” think about the whole thing during the drive home after what I’d seen. I felt bewildered and at the same time quite angry that in a Uk road legal world where someone can find themselves with a hand slap for reaching into a bag of quavers we have the black and white stark contrast of events like this taking place under the legal (approved maybe or ignored?) nose. To me, it waters down the credibility of the motives behind some of our road safety regulation when events like this can take place on live highways, let alone dual carriageways. I cannot think of a other sphere of society that takes the selfish liberty of indulging in a group event for hobby pleasure on a working highway without it being closed.

Personally I don’t see why public highways should be closed off for any fun run, cycle event, protest etc. It’s a public highway therefore we all have a right to use it, not just someone doing something for charidee or as a hobby.

James the cat:
I cannot think of a other sphere of society that takes the selfish liberty of indulging in a group event for hobby pleasure on a working highway without it being closed.

Really? :open_mouth:

One in particular comes to mind, but we aren’t really allowed to discuss them on here! :wink:

However I’m sure DieselDog will spare a few words about them… :laughing: