Accident

Evil8Beezle:

James the cat:
I cannot think of a other sphere of society that takes the selfish liberty of indulging in a group event for hobby pleasure on a working highway without it being closed.

Really? :open_mouth:

One in particular comes to mind, but we aren’t really allowed to discuss them on here! :wink:

However I’m sure DieselDog will spare a few words about them… :laughing:

Who? Talking about otherwise law abiding “citizens” and not outright outsiders of society who’s activities on the highway are the least of a very long list if its who I think you’re taking about :laughing:

Note, I said sphere of society. I don’t see those individuals as being any way part of society.

James the cat:

Traffic Rat:
JTC, Good question, I know in my region we were always notified of these events, but they passed off without problems. Its possible that an office bod makes a risk assessment based on numbers, distance involved etc to say if police need to be involved.

As with many events either of this type or even stuff like a large scale flower show or V festival or similar, you wont see the police doing the traffic due to the costs involved. Hence its all private marshals or Traffic Management companies such as Arrow etc.

The police charge around £55-60 per hour, per officer for private cost work. This is why you only see them doing stuff like Abload ■■■■■■ where the road needs a complete closure for a short time and the police cost is factored into the overall complete cost of the contract.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

Thanks Traffic Rat.

Interesting insight. I personally was both dismayed and stunned that such an event could take place on one of the UKs main busy dual carriageways whilst traffic flowed with no official control/closing. There were no private marshals, just all the accoutrements of a race with number riders everywhere complete with finishing line (car next to side of road with chequered flag hanging into carriageway).

I took a step back, drew a deep breath and had an “exterior” think about the whole thing during the drive home after what I’d seen. I felt bewildered and at the same time quite angry that in a Uk road legal world where someone can find themselves with a hand slap for reaching into a bag of quavers we have the black and white stark contrast of events like this taking place under the legal (approved maybe or ignored?) nose. To me, it waters down the credibility of the motives behind some of our road safety regulation when events like this can take place on live highways, let alone dual carriageways. I cannot think of a other sphere of society that takes the selfish liberty of indulging in a group event for hobby pleasure on a working highway without it being closed.

Well said, that man.