Accessing a weight restricted road

if you have a road that has 7.5 ton signs at both ends, another set at a junction joining said road, but there is a route you can take to access the road where you don’t pass through any weight restriction signs, is it legal to take this route?

many thanks

kevin

If you got pulled, and were able to prove to the bobby that no signs existed at the point where you joined the restricted road, you’d probably get away with it… unless you were local in which case you might have a job explaining your ignorance.

Whether it’s actually legal or not I wouldn’t like to say, but AFAIK weight restrictions don’t even show up on GPS let alone maps.

I’m sure this has happened to many of us, certainly get it quite a bit in my job as it’s mostly farm deliveries.

kevin0410:
if you have a road that has 7.5 ton signs at both ends, another set at a junction joining said road, but there is a route you can take to access the road where you don’t pass through any weight restriction signs, is it legal to take this route?

Yeah, thats the idea of it mate.

I would say that’s legal as you haven’t passed any signs indicating that the weight restriction has changed when you pull on to said road. Just like on a single carriage way when national speed limit is in force and it’s still in force until you reach the next speed limit sign even if you have passed through what you think should be a 30 or 40mph section.
There’s an industrial estate in… I think it’s Buckingham where it’s impossible to get to it without going through 7.5t limits, And there not “except for access” either just plain 7.5t limit at any time.

I had an argument with a colleague over accessing a site in Eynsham. Site rules said to access via Eynsham traffic lights, where there’s a 7.5ton limit, no access signs. I refused and went via an unrestricted road through a residential area, which got complaints but at the end of the day the byelaw or whatever the weight limit comes under takes precedence over some site managers rulebook.

I think the thread title says it all, if you need access, you can pass those signs

I always get worried when I pass an “end of weight limit” sign but can’t remember seeing the original weight limit sign. :open_mouth:

oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/conte … ion-orders
Note no information telling the public about “except for access”…I found that trying to find if a road I’ve got to use tomorrow has a weak bridge on it. :confused:
Ah, just found it oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/conte … -and-areas

As the majority of my tips are farms, i generaly take no notice of weight limits, because i need the access, the only thing i worry about is height restrictions, and weak bridges!! :grimacing: :grimacing:

Wheel Nut:
I think the thread title says it all, if you need access, you can pass those signs

(its pick on wing nut night tonight!!) The thread title does not say it all. The post contains more information. If there are weight restrictions upon entering the road at several places, and there is one route with no weight restriction then the route with no weight restriction is the route to take.

Mike-C:

Wheel Nut:

(its pick on wing nut night tonight!!) The thread title does not say it all. The post contains more information. If there are weight restrictions upon entering the road at several places, and there is one route with no weight restriction then the route with no weight restriction is the route to take.

Weight limits should state how far the limit goes; I’ve gone through several “except for access” signs knowing an address is down said road, only to find the end of the weight limit with destination usually a stones throw the other side :imp:

Mike-C:

Wheel Nut:

But from what I read, there were not any restriction signs or HGV routes signed. 7.5 limits normally go along with a plate giving instruction.

If you come into my village, there are no other signs except the round ones and an except for access plate. At the other end it gives an HGV route, but if you don’t know about it you only discover it as you leave the village

Wheel Nut:

Mike-C:

Wheel Nut:

But from what I read, there were not any restriction signs or HGV routes signed. 7.5 limits normally go along with a plate giving instruction.

If you come into my village, there are no other signs except the round ones and an except for access plate. At the other end it gives an HGV route, but if you don’t know about it you only discover it as you leave the village

I’m reading he said there was 7.5 restrictions. I’m not aware of 7.5 ton restrictions ‘normally’ having instruction plates. The instruction is usually the ‘prohibition’.

Mike-C:
I’m reading he said there was 7.5 restrictions. I’m not aware of 7.5 ton restrictions ‘normally’ having instruction plates. The instruction is usually the ‘prohibition’.

Here you are then, the bloody scousers have probably nicked all the ally plates.

Wheel Nut:

Mike-C:

Here you are then, the bloody scousers have probably nicked all the ally plates.

No no, you might have misunderstood me. I didn’t say and i hope i didn’t imply that i’d never seen instruction plates. I am saying they are not a requirement to go with a restriction. You can just get a restriction with no other info as there is no other info to add. i.e nothing over 7.5T (end of story!).

If there is no weight limit sign there no weight limit. It could be in place to stop lorries coming in from a certain direction because in the past they’ve hit a house going round a tight corner etc, but coming from the other direction mite mean the dont have to make the tight turn hense not hitting the building.

OK, whats the score here, take note of the sign in this link Google Maps 7.5t truck limit yeah?
So you take the next left turn off the A339 into Burghclere then Google Maps you see this sign :confused:

What’s the difference,if any, between"except for access"and “except for loading” on the qualifying plates? Does “except for loading” include unloading? :confused:
Earlier this year,we were tipping at a packing plant on Great Drove in Yaxley and every road around it is covered by a 7.5t limit except for loading. :unamused:

Highlander:
What’s the difference,if any, between"except for access"and “except for loading” on the qualifying plates? Does “except for loading” include unloading? :confused:
Earlier this year,we were tipping at a packing plant on Great Drove in Yaxley and every road around it is covered by a 7.5t limit except for loading. :unamused:

As I understand, “Access” could allow the driver into the area to use local facilities ie shop, cafe etc but “Loading/unloading” only allows access in connection with making a delivery. I don’t get the ones that say “except for loading by (then show a picture of a lorry)”. Lorry loading something else, or lorry loading but not to unload?

DAF95XF:
OK, whats the score here, take note of the sign in this link Google Maps 7.5t truck limit yeah?
So you take the next left turn off the A339 into Burghclere then Google Maps you see this sign :confused:

It is an offence to pass the prohibition further up the road, e.g. to take an HGV over the bridge!

As for sub-definitions of restrictions, see this old’un:-

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1781