Accelerator stuck

Some help needed to see if anyone else has anything like this before,
Picked up keys for 08 Daf fully auto, this morning, run through all checks every thing fine, start up, pull out of parking bay over to pumps to put some ad blue in.
Switch off engine get out find no ad blue so decide to go and find trailer. Back in, engine on, into drive all fine. Now this is where the problems began pressed accelerator not fast just firm (bearing in mind this is in a yard so I am not going to floor it) to get going now what happened next still seems unbelievable.

The unit took off with such speed I had to grab the steering wheel with both hands to control it I could only drive it forward to avoid trailer which was just to the right and headed straight towards banking which was only 85-100 yards in front of me I immediately took foot off accelerator nothing happened it just kept increasing speed so I braked but I could still feel unit pulling against the brakes unfortunately I went straight in to banking front first.(if I had time I would off reached for the stalk and switched the drive off but this all happened in seconds )
It felt like when you take cruise control off and then resume it you can feel the power of the engine getting back up to speed.

Obviously when I went to tell transport what had happened they could not believe what had happened so filled in accident form and sent home.
On the way out I can see them viewing cctv of what had happened and you can see the unit at the pumps then just suddenly take off and into banking. (It looks like I am trying to commit suicide!!)

Now I know there are incidents of drivers pressing accelerator instead of brake by mistake, but that normally that’s when they are all ready moving, but this was just starting off. Obviously they are getting someone in to look at unit this morning, to see if there was any malfunction so I will have to wait to hear what they say.

Holy [zb] !!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Didn’t have a bluetooth earpiece in did you■■?

I only ask as we had a memo round saying there was a possibility that bluetooth could affect the trucks systems :open_mouth: Not that i believe it but just thought i would ask.

Sounds scary mate, although it probably happened too quickly for you to need a change of pants.

Main thing is that you are ok!

I had a stuck accelerator once and it was very scary. Pulled it out of gear and got a tow truck, it turns out it was a wiring short to the rear light cluster! apparently.

These new Daf’s have IMO a design fault, the switch on steering wheel, as you say to resume last setting is far too easy to switch on…i had one for a week and loads of times i switched it on just by moving my hands across and around wheel. BUT as i did i simply touched brakes and it canceled it. What happened to you though sounds like a fault.

Bones:

I only ask as we had a memo round saying there was a possibility that bluetooth could affect the trucks systems :open_mouth: Not that i believe it but just thought i would ask.

No just had tom tom on (and before anyone says it no it did not tell me to go straight on) :slight_smile:

Koop:
These new Daf’s have IMO a design fault, the switch on steering wheel, as you say to resume last setting is far too easy to switch on…i had one for a week and loads of times i switched it on just by moving my hands across and around wheel. BUT as i did i simply touched brakes and it canceled it. What happened to you though sounds like a fault.

Thanks, just need all info i can get

I had a similar fault recently with my manual FH12. I had either tickover revs or, if I touched the gas pedal even gently, full power. Nothing in between.

After a while it “went back normal” again and I was able to drive to Volvo’s to get it fixed. It happened again once or twice on the road, but that was less embarrassing than it had been maneuvering at the docks :laughing:

It turned out that the problem was a faulty gas pedal potentiometer, and the whole assembly was changed, pedal and all.

Something else to check, maybe - I’m presuming DAF has a similar ‘drive by wire’ system?

tommo:
(and before anyone says it no it did not tell me to go straight on) :slight_smile:

LOL! Glad to see it didn’t affect your sense of humour!

Zetorpilot:
Something else to check, maybe - I’m presuming DAF has a similar ‘drive by wire’ system?

Never had that problem myself, but I generally use a drive by muppet system :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bones:

Saw that Rich,and as someone who is into communications,that memo is a load of ■■■■■■■■.

Bluetooth headsets operate on the UHF range,and close to the microwave range,alongside the phones,which is around about the 900mhz mark.

There is no record that I know of,where a bluetooth is the cause of an electronic malfunction on a truck,at such a high frequency,although I stand to be corrected.

Ken.

Quinny:
Saw that Rich,and as someone who is into communications,that memo is a load of [zb].

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Long time ago (early 70’s) I went up north to collect a Leyland National bus for a mate, it was March time but bitterly cold. Heading down the M1 went to pull into services for fuel, foot off the gas and onto brake nothing happened. Tried to change down (semi auto box, no clutch), nothing happened. Fortunately I was able to come out the services and back onto the motorway without mishap. Eventualy (30 odd miles later) ran out of fuel. Once the post mortem had been carried it transpired that the accelerator and brake were both air operated, moisture had frozen in the air lines meaning there was nothing I could do to stop the vehicle, luckily there was plenty of road and no need to stop, and no mobile phones in those days. (reminds me of a film where a train wouldnt stop - cant remember what is was called :confused: )

Tiger.

Koop:
These new Daf’s have IMO a design fault, the switch on steering wheel, as you say to resume last setting is far too easy to switch on…i had one for a week and loads of times i switched it on just by moving my hands across and around wheel.

yes i have noticed its easy to do that with the palm of your hand. But it also seems that the cruise will only re-engage when you’re doing more than about 20mph or so. going from what the guy said (being in the yard) i doubt he was doing that speed, but on the other hand the CC on his truck could be faulty and it will re-engage no matter how fast you’re going.

Quinny:
[

There is no record that I know of,where a bluetooth is the cause of an electronic malfunction on a truck,at such a high frequency,although I stand to be corrected.

Ken.

Ken,

Flying and Avionics are one of my first loves, as some on here will vouch for, and I did a degree in Avionics and Aerodynamics.

One of the modules I did was on the “myth” of mobile phones interfering with Aircrafts control systems.

This then lead on to a further study by the CAA a year or so later.

The research found that although a mobile phone can’t actually directly interfere with flight controls, particularly susceptible to interference was the autopilot system of more basic aircraft, I.E ones that don’t use an internal gyroscopic navigation system (INS) or a GPS adjusted one (Such as an FMS or MDCU)

If a mobile phone call was made, with the user close enough to the wiring between the Navigation Radio receiver and the Autopilot control unit, then it could give enough of an erroneous signal for some fail-safe systems to “trip” and disconnect the autopilot entirely.

This happened quite like when you put a mobile phone near some speaker wiring, you can hear the “pulses” through your speakers.

Basically an autopilot system needs two verifiable signals with a small error margin between the two, when in approach (landing) mode.
The “blips” caused by the mobile phones gave enough of an error on one of the signals for the system to think it was receiving inaccurate information and abort the automatic landing.

Very boring to all on here I’m sure! but just thought Ken might be interested :slight_smile:

Alex

So now everyone knows. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ken.

Bones:

Just going of topic slightly does anyone get headaches when using there bluetooth ?

thecoder0:

Bones:

Just going of topic slightly does anyone get headaches when using there bluetooth ?

Only if the missus is on the other end

Olog Hai:

Koop:
These new Daf’s have IMO a design fault, the switch on steering wheel, as you say to resume last setting is far too easy to switch on…i had one for a week and loads of times i switched it on just by moving my hands across and around wheel.

yes i have noticed its easy to do that with the palm of your hand. But it also seems that the cruise will only re-engage when you’re doing more than about 20mph or so. going from what the guy said (being in the yard) i doubt he was doing that speed, but on the other hand the CC on his truck could be faulty and it will re-engage no matter how fast you’re going.

No i ,was not going fast just starting off from a stationary postion ,and it just starting increasing speed.

MADBAZ:

thecoder0:

Bones:

Only if the missus is on the other end

Yes, I do.

I also get them with wireless devices such as wireless broadband routers and wireless keyboards and mouse. Not good!!!

I know when it starts to affect me as the pain is always in the same place about half an inch above my ear.