A368 Somerset.

Anybody used it heading w/bound from Chelwood?

@Local Council…Thanks for there being no early wt limit warnings until you actually arrive at them, after travelling about 20 miles you ■■■■ s!!. :smiling_imp: :unamused:

Was heading for Weston SM, when this guy coming towards me asked if I was aware there was a wt limit with no proper diversion ahead.
I was in 2 minds tbh, to say ■■■■ it and go for it until another lad in a truck I met in the narrows informed me that he had heard it was a 2 grand fine. :open_mouth:
Did not care if it was just exaggerated drivercrap or not, I did not take any chances, so screwed it around, and went for the 30+ mile detour through Cheddar via Wells…day knackered. :unamused:

Pleeeease don’t tell me that there ARE signs there, and I did not clock them. :smiling_imp:
And definitely don’t tell me to go out and buy a ■■■■ truck designated sat nav!
:laughing:

Having a bad run lately with Sat nights out, dodgy manual entries and now this, feeling more like ■■■■ dozy every day. :blush:
:laughing: :laughing:

Coming from Weston SM direction it is 7.5t weight limit

However the company I work for is permitted to use it (as well as Burrington Combe)

Coming from the other direction there is no signs that I’m aware of, and I’ve seen Gregory artics coming through Blagdon (very slowly at that!)

The Gregorys will be dong the old Framptons job out of Yeo Valley otherside of Blagdon we used to have permits to use that route with double deckers. Theres no bridge or anything i think its just to stop hgvs using the route not the best especially through Blagdon village.

Its just the bit of road after Rackenford up to Churchill and yes i dont think theres a way out.

Just had a look at Google earth at the Chelwood end and must admit I cant see any warning signs there.

Think how many idiots (like me :laughing: ) have done all that milage and used all that fuel that could have been saved by a sign at the roundabout off the A37, …20 ■■■■ miles before the limit kicks in.

I think I should pay something back to my firm this week for lost fuel money out of my wages tbh., I’m a fair man.

I’m a fair man.
[/quote]
Always thought you were taking us for a ride :smiley:

That’s a few ■■■■ ups in the last week, would it not be time to go back to base for a 2 day refresher course, seems you might need it, things might get worse, next you be posting that someone did not wave at you like some on here do, we will watch with bated breath

robroy:
Think how many idiots (like me :laughing: ) have done all that milage and used all that fuel that could have been saved by a sign at the roundabout off the A37, …20 [zb] miles before the limit kicks in.

I think I should pay something back to my firm this week for lost fuel money out of my wages tbh., I’m a fair man.

Actually about 10 miles, not 20 (although it is a given that you would have covered 20 miles by the time you got back to the Chelwood island…).

If it makes you feel any better, the restriction in question doesn’t appear to be included in Truck road atlases either (at least it’s not in mine - Philips - which I think is the most recent version) so any “proper driver” following the classic advice to use a truck atlas to plan their route would have also come unstuck.

I appreciate you don’t want to waste money on a lorry satnav - but why not try one of the (free to use) online route planning websites such as TomTom’s MyDrive? The alternatives it suggests would only take a couple of minutes longer than using the A368. You don’t even need to tell anyone you’ve used it :wink:

Ok all you lads with local knowledge…, Just out of interest, is the B3134 from Burrington either down to the A39 at Green Ore suitable, or even join the B3135 to Cheddar, or is it part of the wt limit, and where exactly does the limit begin and end W/bound?

I tipped first at West Harptree, so could I even have used the B3114 short cut to A39 at Chewton Mendip rather than the A368.
My next drop was Weston SM, so you can maybe see my problem…just so as I know if there again…Cheers

I’m sure your new super duper truckers satnav would’ve saved you the hassle of worrying about getting caught out by weight limits.

Surely you do have a truckers Satnav ■■? :laughing: :laughing:

robroy:
Ok all you lads with local knowledge…, Just out of interest, is the B3134 from Burrington either down to the A39 at Green Ore suitable, or even join the B3135 to Cheddar, or is it part of the wt limit, and where exactly does the limit begin and end W/bound?

I tipped first at West Harptree, so could I even have used the B3114 short cut to A39 at Chewton Mendip rather than the A368.
My next drop was Weston SM, so you can maybe see my problem…just so as I know if there again…Cheers

The weight limit Westbound on the A368 begins at the B3134 junction (Burrington) and continues due West for almost 2 miles to the A38.

peirre:
I’m sure your new super duper truckers satnav would’ve saved you the hassle of worrying about getting caught out by weight limits.

Surely you do have a truckers Satnav ■■? :laughing: :laughing:

I believe he may use a car sat nav and a keen eye said with
tongue firmly in cheek !! :laughing:

Yes as Roymondo says.
Theres no bridges or anything i think its just to keep hgvs from using it as a through route as i say we used to use it with DDs but we had a permit never saw any cameras so dont know how its controlled always used to meet other truck along there its a bit narrow in places. Im surprised it doesnt go further because Blagdon is worse especially when its busy round there. Been held up there (Blagdon) many a time complete with abuse from the car drivers for taking a big vehicle through there despite the fact we were allowed and its the most direct route to the factory. Dont know about the other road never been up there.

Trucker56:
Yes as Roymondo says.
Theres no bridges or anything i think its just to keep hgvs from using it as a through route as i say we used to use it with DDs but we had a permit never saw any cameras so dont know how its controlled always used to meet other truck along there its a bit narrow in places. Im surprised it doesnt go further because Blagdon is worse especially when its busy round there. Been held up there (Blagdon) many a time complete with abuse from the car drivers for taking a big vehicle through there despite the fact we were allowed and its the most direct route to the factory. Dont know about the other road never been up there.

Yep I went through Blagdon, tight as arses it was.
You would think the locals there would advocate to get signs done to stop the unnecessary traffic going through, and back through again when the wt limit is eventually discovered by unsuspecting truckers.
It will probably take somebody to get knocked over before anything is done…as usual.

Anyway, all questions answered, thanks for the information chaps. :wink:

robroy:

Trucker56:
Yes as Roymondo says.

You would think the locals there would advocate to get signs done to stop the unnecessary traffic going through, and back through again when the wt limit is eventually discovered by unsuspecting truckers.
It will probably take somebody to get knocked over before anything is done…as usual.

It’s only tight the first time Rob…

As you must by now know, the west country, and specifically the Mendips, are a nightmare for artics… but there are plenty of ways around, if you know them.
The biggest problem is anybody looking for a quick way through. There isn’t. If you need to go somewhere, for a delivery or collection, the company needs to accept that the way in and out, may not be the shortest…
I used to collect milk from farms around there, and deliver bulk loads of milk to Yeo Valley. You get used to numpties giving you grief and telling you that you should not be there… :grimacing:

the nodding donkey:

robroy:

Trucker56:
Yes as Roymondo says.

It’s only tight the first time Rob…

As you must by now know, the west country, and specifically the Mendips, are a nightmare for artics… but there are plenty of ways around, if you know them.
The biggest problem is anybody looking for a quick way through. There isn’t. If you need to go somewhere, for a delivery or collection, the company needs to accept that the way in and out, may not be the shortest…
I used to collect milk from farms around there, and deliver bulk loads of milk to Yeo Valley. You get used to numpties giving you grief and telling you that you should not be there… :grimacing:

Yeh I know, there are some roads in that area and in Devon and CW a lot worse.
It was just a bit of a ball ache having to turn around after so many miles then go all the way round to my drop at WSM via Cheddar,.and maybe even that was the wrong way…and my lot are paid by pre planned out milage, so I try and stick to shortest routes between drops (me being a good lad :smiley: ) but to be fair they were ok on explanation.
Maybe I SHOULD buy a truck sat nav after all eh? :laughing:

No Rob, any driver who drives around the Mendips/South West, uses a Navigator …

Well, all the milk drivers did anyway…

PLEASE post that picture of you with your shiny brand new truck sat nav Rob :smiley:

Install Co-Pilot on your phone?

Saves a fortune from buying yet another bit of kit