A368 Somerset.

Nah…if the firm ever want to buy me that type of kit (what are the chances eh? : :smiley: ) I’ll go with it, but in the meantime I’ll stay stuck in the 80s with me Truckers Atlas, and me el cheapo car sat nav as a guide, it ain’t often I ■■■■ up tbf :neutral_face: …(touching wood. :laughing: )

The route from the Yeo Valley dairy factory from Blagdon to Yeo Valley in Highbridge is a 24/7 operation for the chiller double deckers of what was Framptons , which is now owned by Gregorys .
I have heard their drivers say there is an old retired ex Army or navy gent , that thinks he owns the road and the whole village, he used to stand in the road and stop artics , with arguments about not being allowed in a weight limit , the silly old duffer made a fake speed gun out of an old hair dryer and point it at trucks , he thought were speeding .
The general manager at Frampton`s wrote to him telling him to bog off , as all their vehicles had permits to run from factory to factory , they never heard from again , as he was threatened with legal action .
As for OP, i would not drive an artic from Blagdon to get to WSM , there are several villages with very tight bends and double parked cars .
I did it once , never again , i got the look of shame from passing motorists , if you meet a tractor or another truck , you are well and truly
stuffed .
From Blagdon heading Westbound from Chelwood , i do not think there are weight limit signs , but there may some heading Eastbound further on from the main road near the outdoor dry ski slope leisure centre .

toby1234abc:
The silly old duffer made a fake speed gun out of an old hair dryer and point it at trucks , he thought were speeding .

:open_mouth: God I would have loved to have seen that. :smiley:
The ultimate ‘Self appointed Policeman’…
‘‘Armed’’ with his wife’s hairdryer. :laughing: :laughing:

Coming down Burrington Combe turn left onto the A368 the weight limit starts there

Back in the 90s and not long after I had gone back to driving, I was working for Blake’s who had the Yeo Valley contract back then.

They usually put ten or a dozen trailers into Cheddar every day, and some kind soul warned me not to go into Cheddar village so that was okay. One afternoon I was asked to ‘nip’ over to Blagdon to pick up a load and the local guy who shunted back and forth all day said to follow him. No problem as far as Churchill, but then he went off like a bat out of hell and I simply could not keep up. What amazed me was that the local car drivers (this was not holiday season) saw us coming over the hedges and just got out of the way in driveways and gates.

The real problem came when getting out of the Blagdon Farm. There was a steep bit at the T junction and the only way to get out, even with the axle up was to take a run at it and keep moving with fingers crossed and buttocks clenched.

Santa:
Back in the 90s and not long after I had gone back to driving, I was working for Blake’s who had the Yeo Valley contract back then.

They usually put ten or a dozen trailers into Cheddar every day, and some kind soul warned me not to go into Cheddar village so that was okay. One afternoon I was asked to ‘nip’ over to Blagdon to pick up a load and the local guy who shunted back and forth all day said to follow him. No problem as far as Churchill, but then he went off like a bat out of hell and I simply could not keep up. What amazed me was that the local car drivers (this was not holiday season) saw us coming over the hedges and just got out of the way in driveways and gates.

The real problem came when getting out of the Blagdon Farm. There was a steep bit at the T junction and the only way to get out, even with the axle up was to take a run at it and keep moving with fingers crossed and buttocks clenched.

It still is. Well, it was when I last did it, which was about 10 years ago. To be fair, I very much doubt, anything has changed there in the last 40 years or so…

When you drive milk tankers, you get used to going places that look tight in a transit… :grimacing:

Yes few years since i did it but coming out of Yeo Valley at Blagdon with DD on stop at bottom of hill by factory lock in low gear and dont stop sharp right at top trailers legs just miss road surface by a couple of inches. Great at night when you could see the headlights coming but a bugger during the day and if you did have to stop at the top a sod to get moving again. Majority of the car drivers were ok as previous said most would see you coming and just get out of the way. Blagdon village was the worst bit round the tight left and into the narrow bit but once past that it was ok.

the nodding donkey:
When you drive milk tankers, you get used to going places that look tight in a transit… :grimacing:

Blakes sent me to a few farms. One near Wincanton I remember - came off the 303 and turned onto a lane with an “Unsuitable for HGVs” sign. The farm was an unmade lane off that with a sharp left turn and a ditch on the corner just to test your skills. The farm was a mess, with rusty tractors etc and a tiny yard. Why did we go there in a six-axle artic? They took out-of-date cheese from supermarkets and turned it into cheese powder for flavouring cheese and onion crisps.

Another regular at Luddington near Stratford, had an approach road mad nicely of concrete. The problem was that it was only about 8 feet wide and there were a couple of tight bends with nothing but muddy fields on either side.

Deleted…wrong thread. :blush: