A34 Layby idiots

So… driving down the A34 at a pretty decent speed, 54 as stuck behind some tool with his caravan (yes its that time of year again…). This tool bag drives off on his merry way, and i’m building up speed back to 56. I get to 56 when i see a a waitrose daf waiting for room to pull out of this layby. So i knock engine break on as a small precaution but me (in my 10 year old experience head) know he wouldn’t be a massive idiot and ruin my day. When he does just that! I cant pull out to lane 2 as some daudling car moron is looking at my trailer wheels. Hazards on and breaks ON. I get down to 20mph when i’m about a nail length away from his trailer doors.
Not only did he pull out infront of me but he just didnt seem to speed up, until i had a chance to pull out. He throttles it when i’m down the side of him. But the volvo just carried on.

The species from a different planet even had the guts to give me a w**ker sign.

Hows everyones day been then?
:smiling_imp: :imp:

Why slate the wobble box driver needlessly it wan’t him that caused you any problems, just the ■■■■■■■ of the lorry driver that pulled out of the laybye , typical of todays drivers mentality and mindset !! get a grip on life as it is ffs !!

Tell me about it.
Some of those caravan “drivers” are just as bad most of the time.
Also when it comes to rain… why do they need to slow to 40mph? i have been trying to think why for ages now

this is the world we live in ,some people are good, kind ,and thoughtful ,they are the ones that apologise when they make a mistake ,others are just ignorant, and some are lower than a snakes ar*e, if what i thought in my head came out off my mouth i would be in trouble ,and if that translated to action i would be in prison, so think it and let it go is the best bet ,breath,in with love ,out with anger :unamused:

JollyJack:
Tell me about it.
Some of those caravan “drivers” are just as bad most of the time.
Also when it comes to rain… why do they need to slow to 40mph? i have been trying to think why for ages now

You really should try to improve your intelligence levels somewhat I feel !

JollyJack:
So… driving down the A34 at a pretty decent speed, 54 as stuck behind some tool with his caravan (yes its that time of year again…). This tool bag drives off on his merry way, and i’m building up speed back to 56. I get to 56 when i see a a waitrose daf waiting for room to pull out of this layby. So i knock engine break on as a small precaution but me (in my 10 year old experience head) know he wouldn’t be a massive idiot and ruin my day. When he does just that! I cant pull out to lane 2 as some daudling car moron is looking at my trailer wheels. Hazards on and breaks ON. I get down to 20mph when i’m about a nail length away from his trailer doors.
Not only did he pull out infront of me but he just didnt seem to speed up, until i had a chance to pull out. He throttles it when i’m down the side of him. But the volvo just carried on.

The species from a different planet even had the guts to give me a w**ker sign.

Hows everyones day been then?
:smiling_imp: :imp:

surely with 10 years experience you would know that A34 has numerous short slip roads and laybys . it is a busy dangerous road .

it may well be other drivers fault for pulling out in front of you , but it seems also that you were driving too fast .

goodness only knows why government put speed limit up to 60 . but that is a limit .

not a target .

There seems to be this belief in many lorry drivers now that the lorry approaching will slow up or move over because another lorry wants to enter the carriageway, turn etc. Most times they will slow but I’ve had the coffee sign because I’ve not anchored up to let someone out.
One of the worst places on the A34 is the BP services at Weston on the Green. Box jockeys just pull out like they have priority…

So the caravan was hardly dawdling at 54mph, a whole 2mph slower than what your limiter would kick in at? If you had been stuck for the next 20 minutes behind it, you would have ‘lost’ less than a minute - what’s your rush exactly? The caravanner and indeed other road users can travel at whatever speed they wish to.

Whilst the Waitrose driver showed poor judgement in pulling out, these things happen and as a professional driver you just have to expect these sort of events to be a regular part of your working life and just take them in your stride.

As to why some drivers take their foot off the gas in bad weather and go at a more sensible pace to suit the conditions - well I’ll let someone else explain that one… :sunglasses:

Self inflicted non event.
Living life on the limiter is going to have your limits tested.

52mph is quite acceptable for the A34 unless your limit is 52 then its 50, unless your limits 50 then wtf is that all about, anything below 50 is too slow for everyone except red nissan micras.

You know it’s amazing how using some antcipation and keeping a safe distance and controlling your speed can get rid of the idiots and the stress.
More should try it.

Man drives with foot to the floor then has to slam on brakes because he saw another lorry might pull out but he didn’t bother slowing down then whinges about it shock

albion1971:
You know it’s amazing how using some antcipation and keeping a safe distance and controlling your speed can get rid of the idiots and the stress.
More should try it.

I thought you were all for safety and yet seem to condone (by not condemning) someone pulling out in front of another vehicle (assuming here he wasn’t “invited out”). The guy said he put the exhaust brake on (he wasn’t obliged to do even that). Having stated that, as a truck driver I would try to let another trucker out if possible, by observation and anticipation (as you stated) as we all know how difficult it is to get going from a layby.

I enjoy trying to pull out of laybys when a truck pulls over to an empty lane 2, the cars behind don’t. But I wait until there is enough space to get close to running speed. Just my take on waitrose drivers actions.

Clueless idiots! See it all the time.

I wouldn’t pull out in front of another truck as I know what a nightmare it can be for the truck driver you inconvienence, but cars I would as they can just hop easily into another lane or slow down/ speed up easily so causing them no inconvience at all

I really don’t understand why people are slating the OP’s driving. He avoided an accident that would have been caused by someone else’s careless/dangerous actions. Yes we’re supposed to be professional drivers, but that doesn’t absolve every ■■■■■■ else from their responsibility to drive properly.

If you are that upset about it then why not ring Bracknell RDC and get him the sack? Waitrose are very pernickety about bad driving.

Yawn. Another “he did this, he did that, I do no wrong, I’m a driving God” thread.

Snudger:

albion1971:
More should try it.

I thought you were all for safety and yet seem to condone (by not condemning) someone pulling out in front of another vehicle (assuming here he wasn’t “invited out”). The guy said he put the exhaust brake on (he wasn’t obliged to do even that). Having stated that, as a truck driver I would try to let another trucker out if possible, by observation and anticipation (as you stated) as we all know how difficult it is to get going from a layby.

Listen of course I am all for safety but the way the incident was described there was not enough thought gone into the situation.
Everyone’s an idiot apart from himself type.
Why was he not obliged to use the exhaust brake? Don’t tell me it was because the other truck was at fault.Oh right lets just smash into him because it’s his fault. :unamused: Anticipation and observation can eliminate all that 99% of the time.
The whole situation sounds like what we see on our roads most days. Two drivers that don’t have a clue. :unamused:

One of the worst places is rothersthorpe services southbound ,there will be a lorry crawling towards the entry slip when some other no brain lorry driver decides to flash his lights at the slug and pull out and jigger everyone else up the said slug will then drive straight on to lane 1 about 30 mph if that with out using the slip way .