A17 racetrack!!

Just a quick hi to all the drivers over the past week who have driven right on my bumper, weaved in and out, finally overtaken me flashing their lights and given hand gestures which I’ve taken to meaning hello whilst I have been driving along the A17 at what should be an unstressful 40mph. Some of the over-taking has been quite dangerous even causing other road users coming in the other direction alarm. Anyhow this past weekend this kind of behaviour got me thinking and i asked friends and family who know nothing about lorry driving what they think the speed limit is for lorries. Guess what they all thought at least 50mph on the A17. One even commented on how they had once been stuck behind a driver doing 40mph on single track road and that they couldn’t understand why the lorry was going so slow even commenting on how the 40mph was causing a nuisance for other lorries behind him. At no point whilst using the A17 have I come across another lorry doing 40mph, I even kept below 50mph on the Sleaford bit to allow the queue behind me time to get past and all I got for my effort was the same hand gestures and honking of horns. Wouldn’t mind but I travel this bit of road in my car regularly doing mainly 60mph (where permitted) and from Kings Lynn to Newark (A1) It takes a massive 15 minutes more to do this stretch of road at 40mph than thats right a massive 15minutes!!! 40mph!!! Rant over

■■? and breath■■?, i use the 17 once a week boston to sleaford strech, at the end of the day the truckers are only following the law most do 50 but some firms will track vehicles and if they are caught do 50 on a 40 road they will be hauled up in to to office over it.
i have driven the whole of the 17 newark to kinglynn, not all at once though.
i’m 20 yrs old and at one point i would do everything possable to get past a vehicle that was slower than me, but now i’m more than happy to pootle along a 40mph, it saves me fuel, and at the end of the trip i’m a lot happer and less stressed,
what was it someone said about the 17, sit back relax and enjoy the drive and the view.

If it gets to you that much, why not copy what some of the companies like Walkers do and make up an A4 poster to stick on the back of your trailer pointing out that the law limits you to 40mph on single carriageways - may cut down the aggro a little bit.

Norfolknewbie:
Just a quick hi to all the drivers over the past week who have driven right on my bumper, weaved in and out, finally overtaken me flashing their lights and given hand gestures which I’ve taken to meaning hello whilst I have been driving along the A17 at what should be an unstressful 40mph. Some of the over-taking has been quite dangerous even causing other road users coming in the other direction alarm. Anyhow this past weekend this kind of behaviour got me thinking and i asked friends and family who know nothing about lorry driving what they think the speed limit is for lorries. Guess what they all thought at least 50mph on the A17. One even commented on how they had once been stuck behind a driver doing 40mph on single track road and that they couldn’t understand why the lorry was going so slow even commenting on how the 40mph was causing a nuisance for other lorries behind him. At no point whilst using the A17 have I come across another lorry doing 40mph, I even kept below 50mph on the Sleaford bit to allow the queue behind me time to get past and all I got for my effort was the same hand gestures and honking of horns. Wouldn’t mind but I travel this bit of road in my car regularly doing mainly 60mph (where permitted) and from Kings Lynn to Newark (A1) It takes a massive 15 minutes more to do this stretch of road at 40mph than thats right a massive 15minutes!!! 40mph!!! Rant over

Do-gooders! Just get your toe down and quit yer whining. :smiling_imp:

RobK:

Norfolknewbie:

Agreed.

limeyphil:

RobK:

Norfolknewbie:

Agreed.

I’ll second that

205:

limeyphil:

RobK:

Norfolknewbie:

Agreed.

I’ll second that

no mate. you thirdid it.

I dislike the a17 because it comes to a stand still quite often. Is this because of dangerous overtaking?

The Saxmachine:
I dislike the a17 because it comes to a stand still quite often. Is this because of dangerous overtaking?

Yeah, caused by people who will insist on sitting at 38 39 or even 40 mph, instead of keeping up with the flow of traffic.

Interesting replies so far. Strange how drivers constantly strive to keep within the law hours wise yet are more than prepared to break the law speeding.

Thats because they have no concerns about their licences…they only whinge when they get a speeding ticket, or have accrued so many points that they finally lose it…keep to the speed limits…and muck em all, let them wait…you dont get any extra money for risking your licence and speeding.

Norfolknewbie:
Interesting replies so far. Strange how drivers constantly strive to keep within the law hours wise yet are more than prepared to break the law speeding.

Probably because the speed limit laws in this country are so out-dated :confused: :confused:

I agree the speed limits are out dated, however the limit is 40, you want to go faster thats up to you, but please don’t try and kill me in the process ! We are tracked on “live” monitoring, so i stick to the limit, now if you want to pay my salary when i loose my licence and job through speeding then i will sit on the limiter the same as the rest ! but at roundabouts i have been known to do a lap or 2 to let traffic behind get past :wink:

annitram:

Norfolknewbie:

Probably because the speed limit laws in this country are so out-dated :confused: :confused:

And it’s strange how many of these drivers will sit on the limiter on dual carriageways, double standards.

See all this crap about being tracked etc etc… I drive for either Morrisons or Gist on agency, both are companies that track their vehicles. I hammer the arse out of them, rev the nust off them, slam the brakes on and go as fast as the wind will take me and have never ever once been pulled up.

Just yesterday followed ESL truck for 5 miles or so…38-40mph strictly…then we had a short stint of dual carriageway…and he went full steam ahead…back to single carriageway…40again…and wont let overtake…thats worst IMHO

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

iwas behind one of the best richardsons, doing 37… then we hit the duel bit and the morons up to 56. then back down to 37 grrrr :smiling_imp:

all you tossers that give it the biggun and moan abt the proper drivers doing as they should when you get banned let me know so i can ■■■■ myself laughing you arrogant wasters ,if you crash and kill someone and they check your tacho start liking soap and mr big

See all this crap about being tracked etc etc… I drive for either Morrisons or Gist on agency, both are companies that track their vehicles. I hammer the arse out of them, rev the nust off them, slam the brakes on and go as fast as the wind will take me and have never ever once been pulled up.

Well done you , I bet you stand and laugh at drivers who are struggling to back onto tight bays too .

and ■■■■ on the tarmac at the services instead of walking 100 yds

and get bays coned off when your hours are up at RDC’s

Anyway if your on the agency , does it not make more sense for you to trundle along enjoying the view . More time =more money doesn’t it :bulb:

markoyl:
Just yesterday followed ESL truck for 5 miles or so…38-40mph strictly…then we had a short stint of dual carriageway…and he went full steam ahead…back to single carriageway…40again…and wont let overtake…thats worst IMHO

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This!

If you want to stick to the speed limits then help drivers behind by sticking to the speed limit when you hit the dual carriageway! I have no problem if you stick to the limit, but don’t try and police the roads yourself, I think drivers doing 40mph on s/c whether they be cars or trucks cause more accidents than anything else! I’ve been stopped a couple of times years back on the A17 for speeding, thankfully both times I was let go with a bollocking, on one occasion the copper said don’t ride the limiter and keep it under 50mph and you won’t get problems.