A14 crash this morning

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ca … e-33700795

Looks quite nasty, amazed & thankful nobody was hurt…

It’s very sad that the police are having to threaten people who are driving on the opposite side, not to film it. :unamused:

Always wonder why they drive nose to tail even though they see the consequences regularly. Hopefully they got away with it this time.

The fourth serious crash on the Cambs A14 this week :frowning:

This one wasn’t down to tailgating for a change.

The DAF with the China Shipping Box had stopped on the carriageway round the blind bend just before Whippet Coaches with a front puncture.

I passed it just before 5am and was lucky to have nothing alongside me so that I could pull out.

The accident must have been minutes after I passed.

Dazzler:

The DAF with the China Shipping Box had stopped on the carriageway round the blind bend just before Whippet Coaches with a front puncture.

I passed it just before 5am and was lucky to have nothing alongside me so that I could pull out.

A14, blind bend?, presumably a short sharp slip road then.

Seems like every week there’s a serious truck crash on the A14 these days

Drove by it eastbound this morning, but didn’t really see much as thought it’d be unprofessional to slow down and gawp. The one at Dartford on Monday looked nasty too.

I hate that stretch of road in either direction, it’s not fit for purpose anymore, it needs upgrading with the amount of traffic that uses it!

Jacko123:
I hate that stretch of road in either direction, it’s not fit for purpose anymore, it needs upgrading with the amount of traffic that uses it!

If it’s anything like catthorpe it’ll take the highways idiots about 5 years to put a bridge up.

I lived within spitting distance of spittals interchange, around 2002. There was a proposal to upgrade the A14 then, work to be completed by 2009…

That worked then :grimacing:

switchlogic:

Not surprising is it though.

It’s a long, extremely boring stretch of road to drive down (especially for the container drivers going the whole distance to Felixstowe). We have drivers responsible for 44t worth of moving weight, driving extremely comfortable & easy to drive modern lorries, driving along the road on cruise control basically not doing anything, bored out of their tree, daydreaming or absorbed by whatever they are doing/listening to in order to keep entertained. All in all, it’s a recipe for disaster - especially when you throw into the mix the crazy amount of hours & daft o’clock start times coupled with reduced rests.

Totally inevitable and i’m surprised their aren’t more.

I’m a bit ■■■■■■ off with this incident. From one of the posts on this thread, it would appear the driver of the CF has had a puncture and just simply brought the vehicle to a stop. What kind of [zb]ing helmet do you have to be, to do this?

Why on earth would you not continue slowly with the hazards on until you can get out of the way? Who gives a [zb] about a knackered wheel rim or mudguards etc?

eagerbeaver:
I’m a bit ■■■■■■ off with this incident. From one of the posts on this thread, it would appear the driver of the CF has had a puncture and just simply brought the vehicle to a stop. What kind of [zb]ing helmet do you have to be, to do this?

Why on earth would you not continue slowly with the hazards on until you can get out of the way? Who gives a [zb] about a knackered wheel rim or mudguards etc?

All I saw was the truck at front of the carnage was a foreign wagon and it did have a blow out. The driver was sat in his cab.

rob22888:

switchlogic:

It’s a long, extremely boring stretch of road to drive down (especially for the container drivers going the whole distance to Felixstowe). We have drivers responsible for 44t worth of moving weight, driving extremely comfortable & easy to drive modern lorries, driving along the road on cruise control basically not doing anything, bored out of their tree, daydreaming or absorbed by whatever they are doing/listening to in order to keep entertained. All in all, it’s a recipe for disaster - especially when you throw into the mix the crazy amount of hours & daft o’clock start times coupled with reduced rests.

Prehaps they should reintroduce atkinson borders guy big j and AEC mandators that would keep the drivers alert

^^^^^no, just a fist full of gears and a man peddle.

kr79:

rob22888:

switchlogic:

Prehaps they should reintroduce atkinson borders guy big j and AEC mandators that would keep the drivers alert

I worry about getting a front wheel blow out. As I’m cruising at 89kmph I’ve got no acceleration left to force it out of vereering left or right.

Tris:

eagerbeaver:

All I saw was the truck at front of the carnage was a foreign wagon and it did have a blow out. The driver was sat in his cab.

That CF I think you’ll find is UK registered, there are 3 or 4 of them running out of FXT. Don’t know who owns them but I see them quite a bit.

Juddian:

Dazzler:

A14, blind bend?, presumably a short sharp slip road then.

Blind Bend might be slightly incorrect, but as you head past Wisemans towards Whippet coaches, the road does bare to the left with tree’s to block the view across the apex of the bend, and I can see how at 90k’s you’d be on stationary traffic/vehicle in very short order, and need to react quick. as Dazzler says He had room to get over :wink:

eddie snax:
That CF I think you’ll find is UK registered, there are 3 or 4 of them running out of FXT. Don’t know who owns them but I see them quite a bit.

Ok, my mistake, it was dark blue wasn’t it?

Tris:

kr79:

rob22888:

switchlogic:

I worry about getting a front wheel blow out. As I’m cruising at 89kmph I’ve got no acceleration left to force it out of vereering left or right.

Don’t drive at 89