A14 closed eastbound Truck overturned at Spitals

Tell me why do so many trucks end up on their side at Spittals interchange. Is there something wrong with the road or is it just driver error?

Its not driver error or a road fault, its licence holders instead of lorry drivers.

Had a deja vu there a few years ago, one particular company’s trucks lying on its side at Spittalls, fast forward about a year and as i dropped down the A1 to turn right onto A14, sure enough another from the same Shrops stable lying on its side under the flyover…i make sure never to be alongside one theirs at any time.

This is not to say that rollovers can’t happen to the best, taking avoiding action for other numpties for example.

Must be a fortnight since we had one of these.

waddy640:
Must be a fortnight since we had one of these.

We’re definitly improving.

I wonder if it has alot to do with people trying to beat the lights? :question:

Jacko123:
I wonder if it has alot to do with people trying to beat the lights? :question:

Where is it these trucks fall over? Is it the lights after you cross the bridge heading east bound? As that is quite a curve to take at speed if trying to beat the lights. Are all the trucks that take a nap on this junction doing so in same place?

I usually seem them heading westbound, they usually come to rest at the armco as they come off the roundabout. Some people take that roundabout at stupid speeds :open_mouth:

It kicks back out on the eastbound bit. It would be better if it was a smoother exit.

I’ll tell you exactly what causes 99% of rollovers at this junction…Speed limiters :open_mouth:

You get a couple of drivers running up the A14, the one behind is frustrated because he hasn’t been able to pass, due to the fact that his lorry is only 0.1KM/H faster, so when they hit the roundabout he has a chance to outbrake the other lorry or take the roundabout a bit faster so that he can be in front for the next section, sometimes the drivers make it, sometimes they end up on their side :open_mouth:

newmercman:
I’ll tell you exactly what causes 99% of rollovers at this junction…Speed limiters :open_mouth:

You get a couple of drivers running up the A14, the one behind is frustrated because he hasn’t been able to pass, due to the fact that his lorry is only 0.1KM/H faster, so when they hit the roundabout he has a chance to outbrake the other lorry or take the roundabout a bit faster so that he can be in front for the next section, sometimes the drivers make it, sometimes they end up on their side :open_mouth:

What he said ^^^^^^^^^

I’ve had a few trucks go hell for leather to outbreak/undertake me there. Completely crazy in my opinion. If a driver is under so much pressure that he/she has to resort to those tactics, maby it is time that he/she looked for another job.

Rob

Again!

newmercman:

It is similar to what BMW drivers do on roundabouts except that they don’t normally rollover.

I have to admit to a dislike of the A14 in general, however I like to keep moving on all roundabouts where possible as my little scania is somewhat short of horsepower. That said I wouldn’t go hell for leather through that roundabout in particular, as one of you has already said you can get a kick as you leave the junction. I would have assumed a flour tanker would be quite stable, and if my memory serves me right, didnt we have one of these go over a month or so ago?

The A14 is sureley now in need of an upgrade to a proper dual carrigeway…OOPS sorry all the money has been spent on the M25!!!
While were here what is happening to the A11 at Barton to Thetford■■?

Deepinvet:
The A14 is sureley now in need of an upgrade to a proper dual carrigeway…OOPS sorry all the money has been spent on the M25!!!

Dualing the last bit at Elevadon(at last) when they get amove on :unamused:

Deepinvet:

Sorry you’ll have to explain that to me, the last time i checked it was definitly a proper daul carriage?

jackg:

Deepinvet:

Dualing the last bit at Elevadon(at last) when they get amove on :unamused:

:unamused:

newmercman:
I’ll tell you exactly what causes 99% of rollovers at this junction…Speed limiters

I’ll tell you exactly what causes 99% of rollovers at this junction…Drivers.

Regards,
Nick

ncooper:

newmercman:
I’ll tell you exactly what causes 99% of rollovers at this junction…Speed limiters

Regards,
Nick

Sorry Nick, but being the holder of a licence doesn’t make them drivers :open_mouth:

newmercman:

ncooper:

newmercman:

Regards,
Nick

Sorry Nick, but being the holder of a licence doesn’t make them drivers :open_mouth:

No but being behind the wheel of a truck does, and in the situation you describe it’s impatience and/or incompetence that causes the crash, not the speed limiter.

Paul