A1 Scotland - Speeding

My mate has been out of driving for a while and did not realise that new speed limit did not extend to Scotland. He did 45-50 mph most of the way upto Edinburgh on A1 even on single lane carriageway.

What are the chances of fines from those speed cameras?

If he went through multiple then he might be looking at a ban or at the very least a nice chat with the Traffic Commissioner.

Zero.

There is one camera set to 40 at cockburnspath the rest are set above 60 for cars, you just need to watch out for vans in laybys or bushes

Oh dear,the I didn’t know excuse won’t wash I’m afraid…remeber when we have done something wrong we are professionals allegedly,any other time we are just scum.

CKM, that is very true!

If your mate happened to follow Traffic Scotland on twitter, he would have known. I reckon they have tweeted about the new HGV speed limits not applying to Scottish roads every hour for about 3 weeks now.[emoji1] [emoji1]

Oh well, will just wait and see what happens. Just had a look and it seems there are three Southbound ‘fixed cam’ possible where he could have been snapped - Reston, Cockburnpath and Granthead. He didn’t see any flashes and does not definitely know he was speeding at that point when he passed them. Fingers crossed and at least he knows for the future :unamused:

I was on the Arco, Hull run last week, I’m staggered that he could go fast enough to be done for speeding north of J50 :open_mouth:

I know I retired a couple of weeks ago but I got bored and the agency called when my defences were down :blush:

Ryy86:
Zero.

There is one camera set to 40 at cockburnspath the rest are set above 60 for cars, you just need to watch out for vans in laybys or bushes

There are several gatsos set for HGVs :unamused:

Usually still get the thumbs down in Scotland from other drivers when the camera vans are about ( dont see it in the rest of the UK much now )… I know too many drivers that have been done for going over 40mph up there so its not worth the hassle… just keep plodding :unamused:

scanny77:

Ryy86:
Zero.

Height of vehicle usually?

If he never went over 50 he probly wont see a ticket

I was flat out from edin to weatherby no flash from cockburnspath to Newcastle, maybe some of the older ones are set to HGVs but not those, and I haven’t met one yet.
I got flashed by the one at cockburnspath a couple of years ago but didnt hear anything from it, I think because the company I was driving for had a mix up with what vehicle to take and I helped myself to one on a malt run, and never dl’d my card.

Only thing I rely on is other drivers letting me know as I do for them, as I’ve a clean licence I can afford to sacrifice 3

@jim the 2 south of the border have been removed I’m guessing as they are n/a due to new limit

just hope he didn’t get clicked by a car …
makes me laugh people are so worried about fixed cameras when most traffic cars have cameras fitted :unamused:

Born Idle:

scanny77:

Ryy86:
Zero.

Height of vehicle usually?

I think so. The one at lamberton (I think? First one heading north when you are on S/C) is definitely set for trucks. That’s the one that I got a ticket for when pollocks tried to pin it on me 2 hours before I started a shift at Iceland 8 years ago. Best bet is slow to 40 for all of them

The one at cockburnpath is that just before the asda roundabout heading south on the 70mph duel carriage way that’s where I got flashed not sure about a fine as nothing has come threw!!!

kitch91:
The one at cockburnpath is that just before the asda roundabout heading south on the 70mph duel carriage way that’s where I got flashed not sure about a fine as nothing has come threw!!!

Its well before the asda aye just a bit before torness power station just after the wee roundabout on the bit some folk might take as a dual carriageway.

Its recently been set on fire wasn’t you? :wink:

Actually reading your post correctly you sound like your describing the one at Haddington, that doesnt flash trucks, you can set it off heading up the other side of the road though I do it all the time, (in my car or van ofc)

Ignore the DC gatsos. Its only the SC cameras that you need to slow down for.
The one at torness is actually on the straight SC section south of the power station junction. Anything north of torness is not going to trigger at 56mph

There used to be 13 between morpeth and torness but now the ones south of the border can be excluded, that leaves 6 or 7 (cant remember how many on each side of the border) on SC sections. I think 4 northbound (lamberton, eyemouth, a few miles after eyenouth, cockburnspath) and 3 southbound (torness, after the DC south of cockburnspath), long straight section before eyemouth) covers them all.

Ryy86:

kitch91:

Its well before the asda aye just a bit before torness power station just after the wee roundabout on the bit some folk might take as a dual carriageway.

Actually reading your post correctly you sound like your describing the one at Haddington, that doesnt flash trucks, you can set it off heading up the other side of the road though I do it all the time, (in my car or van ofc)

Haha no no was not me [emoji12] but seriously no it was not me!
The thing that got me was I done the same run for 10 days down to Washington and back up to Edinburgh and it only flashed me on the last day heading south!! Well hopefully it was not me that set it of…

kitch91:

Ryy86:

kitch91:

Haha no no was not me [emoji12] but seriously no it was not me!
The thing that got me was I done the same run for 10 days down to Washington and back up to Edinburgh and it only flashed me on the last day heading south!! Well hopefully it was not me that set it of…

If you’ve been heading south its defo going to be the one at haddy that’s flashed, its been triggered by someone on the opposite carriageway, I live their now and got caught out by it a few times until I realised what was happening lol