A technical question

A bit before my time this (I don’t often get to say that these days) but with all the discussions about the different engines (■■■■■■■■ Gardner, RR) gearboxes and axles available in various Atkinsons, ERFs, Seddons, Guys etc. did the engine/gearbox/axle manufacturers have a ‘gentlemen’s agreement’ to make the interfaces all interchangeable?

Or did you just have to have a certain Fuller box to fit a ■■■■■■■ or a Gardner for example?

I’m not sure, someone like Bewick will put you right on that . I do know that when I was driving this beauty for Mousley Trucking it had a Lipe Rollaway clutch in it, and on one occasion I had to pull up by the tech department and their guys were all over it. I wonder where she is now, GHP 120N

Up to the early 1970’s with Gardner engines the flywheel housing was supplied with the engine, and a special mating half bell housing was supplied as part of the gearbox by the likes of David Brown. I’m not totally sure when, but at some point in the 60’s a thing called an SAE No 1 flywheel / bell housing was standardised by many manufactureres. This allowed the easy interchanging of standard gearboxes - Gardner manufactured an adapter ring to allow the likes of the Fuller gearbox to be fitted to their engines, and these could be specified in Atkinson and ERF vehicles amongst others.

AEC / Leyland was certainally one of the first in the UK to fully adopt the SAE flywheel housing. In therory you can remove the original AEC 6 speed gearbox from a 1968 760 engined Mandator and fit a 13 speed Eaton twin spitter from a 1988 ERF, but that leads us into all sorts of other problems including flywheels with push or pull (Lipe) clutchs and so on…!

Funny you should mension the AEC gear box option.
The standard fitment to and AEC Mammoth Major or Mandator with a 760 AEC motor here in NZ was the 13 speed Road Rannger,I had the pleasure of driving a 1968 Mammoth Major crane weighing 23 tonne for a few weeks ago from Auckland down to Wellington,what a great combination the 760 and 13 speed is
There are some big pulls on that road,I was up and down the box constantly and loved it. Really quick changes are possable and your able to change up when starting to level out on a hill,unlike an AEC box which is near impossable to get a nice change when on a hill.

Dieseldogsix:
I’m not sure, someone like Bewick will put you right on that . I do know that when I was driving this beauty for Mousley Trucking it had a Lipe Rollaway clutch in it, and on one occasion I had to pull up by the tech department and their guys were all over it. I wonder where she is now, GHP 120N

At that time, the Atkinson spec sheets showed the Lipe 14-2PT clutch as standard on all models, except those fitted with the 6LXB.

240 Gardner:

Dieseldogsix:

At that time, the Atkinson spec sheets showed the Lipe 14-2PT clutch as standard on all models, except those fitted with the 6LXB.

So why do you think the Borg Warner boys were so interested? the lorry had been going in there for over a year, this was 1976.

Dieseldogsix:

240 Gardner:

Dieseldogsix:

So why do you think the Borg Warner boys were so interested? the lorry had been going in there for over a year, this was 1976.

35 years too late to ask them!! :laughing: