Engine and gearbox info in photo captions

May I make an (impassioned) plea for just a little technical information when you post your fabulous and welcome pictures on this forum, chaps. Just take a look at the picture below. You can see who took it, by the acknowledgement: no probs there, then. You can see by the picture that it is an E-series ERF; that it was operated by BOC Euroshield (Transhield’s European ops); that it is a three-axle job; that it’s on frigo work; that it is on international work (pic taken near Paris, where I was parked up for the night).

What you CAN’T see, is that it has a ■■■■■■■ 14 litre 320 and an Eaton Twin-splitter gearbox. And it is this last information that is missing off maybe 95% of pictures posted on TNUK! You may think this is not a problem, but for those of us who are trying to piece together the history of trucks that were built and operated 40 years ago, this missing information is a real nightmare!

A classic example is my 'Lorries with Fuller Roadranger 9-speed ‘boxes’ thread. Just about everything that moved in the '70s either had that gearbox as a standard fitment or as an option. But matching photographs to actual 9-speed Fuller equipped units has been really difficult. This week I saw the first picture of a 9-speed Fuller Ford Cargo tractive unit (courtesy of Dan Punchard); yet we all know that there were loads of them out there! Same with engines. Everyone tells us in the caption if an ERF B-series had a 350 fitted, but nobody thinks to tell us if a 290 was in it, because this was more or less a standard fitting.

So there you go lads! More technical detail in the photos please. And that goes for more modern vehicles too. I like to know, for example, if a 3-series Scania had the old five-over-five10-speed synchro-box in it, or the GRS900 three-over-three 'box (partly because I much preferred the earlier 'box!).

Happy posting and blogging, ya drivers! Robert :smiley:

hey Robert, with Scania it was easy all ten speeds were the same, only the 143 had one with a different ratio’s fitted called the GR880 and of course a bit stronger built.
So first 110/140 till end '71 G672 splitter ten speed with 9 different ratios because of 9th and 8th gave only a difference of 100 revs. From end '71 till end '78 GR860 the 10 speed range change, from '79 till mid’80’s GR 870 only a few differnces and a frontshaft with more but smaller teeth (only known by me used at Scania). than the GR871 again small differences and elsewhere placed supports. All had always the same ratio’s.
So you will understand why behind the strong V8 Scania engine was very weak if you was not carefull.
Some put in Fullers after problems but Scania took off immediately warranty.
Volvo was the same till the 12 intercooler came but had a strong box so not much problems.
Always liked to drive V8 's but never liked the boxes,if I could do it again should put in a Volvo 16sp or RTO13.
At last you can think how good was a box originally built for a 225hp Scania behind an 140 (SUPER but not the box).

Cheers Eric,

robert1952:
May I make an (impassioned) plea for just a little technical information when you post your fabulous and welcome pictures on this forum, chaps. Just take a look at the picture below. You can see who took it, by the acknowledgement: no probs there, then. You can see by the picture that it is an E-series ERF; that it was operated by BOC Euroshield (Transhield’s European ops); that it is a three-axle job; that it’s on frigo work; that it is on international work (pic taken near Paris, where I was parked up for the night).

What you CAN’T see, is that it has a ■■■■■■■ 14 litre 320 and an Eaton Twin-splitter gearbox. And it is this last information that is missing off maybe 95% of pictures posted on TNUK! You may think this is not a problem, but for those of us who are trying to piece together the history of trucks that were built and operated 40 years ago, this missing information is a real nightmare!

A classic example is my 'Lorries with Fuller Roadranger 9-speed ‘boxes’ thread. Just about everything that moved in the '70s either had that gearbox as a standard fitment or as an option. But matching photographs to actual 9-speed Fuller equipped units has been really difficult. This week I saw the first picture of a 9-speed Fuller Ford Cargo tractive unit (courtesy of Dan Punchard); yet we all know that there were loads of them out there! Same with engines. Everyone tells us in the caption if an ERF B-series had a 350 fitted, but nobody thinks to tell us if a 290 was in it, because this was more or less a standard fitting.

So there you go lads! More technical detail in the photos please. And that goes for more modern vehicles too. I like to know, for example, if a 3-series Scania had the old five-over-five10-speed synchro-box in it, or the GRS900 three-over-three 'box (partly because I much preferred the earlier 'box!).

Happy posting and blogging, ya drivers! Robert :smiley:

This is a 1983 Seddon Atkinson 401 T17G23
It’s powered by 6LXCT Gardner engine coupled to a 9spd Eaton/Fuller gearbox and fitted with the SA Group axle
It was kept in service for 13 years nearly all trouble free apart from the troublesome group rear Group axle ( constant hub seal failures )

tiptop495:
hey Robert, with Scania it was easy all ten speeds were the same, only the 143 had one with a different ratio’s fitted called the GR880 and of course a bit stronger built.
So first 110/140 till end '71 G672 splitter ten speed with 9 different ratios because of 9th and 8th gave only a difference of 100 revs. From end '71 till end '78 GR860 the 10 speed range change, from '79 till mid’80’s GR 870 only a few differnces and a frontshaft with more but smaller teeth (only known by me used at Scania). than the GR871 again small differences and elsewhere placed supports. All had always the same ratio’s.
So you will understand why behind the strong V8 Scania engine was very weak if you was not carefull.
Some put in Fullers after problems but Scania took off immediately warranty.
Volvo was the same till the 12 intercooler came but had a strong box so not much problems.
Always liked to drive V8 's but never liked the boxes,if I could do it again should put in a Volvo 16sp or RTO13.
At last you can think how good was a box originally built for a 225hp Scania behind an 140 (SUPER but not the box).

Cheers Eric,

Cheers Eric, I found that information most useful and interesting. Robert :smiley:

gazsa401:
This is a 1983 Seddon Atkinson 401 T17G23
It’s powered by 6LXCT Gardner engine coupled to a 9spd Eaton/Fuller gearbox and fitted with the SA Group axle
It was kept in service for 13 years nearly all trouble free apart from the troublesome group rear Group axle ( constant hub seal failures )

Good man! Thanks for that: another one for the 9-speed thread! Robert :smiley: