A question regarding Nolan Transport

if you want cheap, then use them.
if you want your goods to get where they are intented to without any damage, then use someone else.
can you get the goods to Newry? if you can, i can arrange to get them to Surrey in one piece.
but if you want it at the right price, then it’ll have to be tipped as soon as we get there, no [zb]ing about.

jezza_hr:

Silver_Surfer:
Lets face it, it’s a big firm, been going for a long time. What with the sometimes negative press, they have to be doing something right!

This is pretty much what I thought. They were the most reasonable for price and probably the quickest of everyone to do the job, mostly because their depot in Wexford is around the corner from the pickup, so it’s not too far off their route. Their hygiene isn’t too much of a concern for me, so long as they don’t ■■■■ on the cargo :laughing: But with the price they’re offering, I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t “too good to be true”.

EDIT: Also, thanks DD for moving the topic, most appreciated.

thay have a yard around the corner from me (larkfield) the gates must be locked at night as tha park in the road outside have seen them climb out of the trailer with a carrier bag on more than one occasion and thers a24hr tesco 5 mins away

robinhood_1984:
Whats most likely to happen is one of two things. They’ll take your money and cram it on to a groupage trailer so its squashed under god knows what. OR, farm the work off to a pallet line company for next to nothing and keep the other 90% of what you paid as pure profit, while your item is delivered by a six wheel rigid operated by a local company who distribute the inbound Irish groupage. I could be wrong but we all know as drivers how many times work passes hands between the shipper and the actual company who transports it.

This is 99% likely what will happen.

bigr250:

jezza_hr:
I’m assuming this means I need to seek my own insurance to cover the good against damage etc? But then looking at companies like Avon, they seem to say the same thing in their terms of service, does this mean I should be seeking insurance from a third party?

Get them to confirm that they will be carrying it under CMR conditions of carriage, then speak to your broker & tell him it’s being carried ‘under CMR’ and ask him to make certain you have sufficient cover for your commitments under CMR.

Good luck, just make sure that it’s confirmed in writing (paper or email) by them that it’ll be under CMR conditions.

Ross.

why?

limeyphil:

bigr250:

jezza_hr:
I’m assuming this means I need to seek my own insurance to cover the good against damage etc? But then looking at companies like Avon, they seem to say the same thing in their terms of service, does this mean I should be seeking insurance from a third party?

Get them to confirm that they will be carrying it under CMR conditions of carriage, then speak to your broker & tell him it’s being carried ‘under CMR’ and ask him to make certain you have sufficient cover for your commitments under CMR.

Good luck, just make sure that it’s confirmed in writing (paper or email) by them that it’ll be under CMR conditions.

Ross.

why?

If they claim to be carrying it under RHA conditions that only entitles the owner of the goods to £1,400 per ton & with the goods only weighing 200 kilo’s that’s a grand total of £280 which I would guess is a little less than it’s value.

Ross.

bigr250:

Ross.

Thanks for that, I’ll be sure to confirm this with them.

dessy:
Avoid Nolans like the Norovirus! :laughing:

Can you please elaborate on why you think that way? Any previous experiences etc?

limeyphil:
if you want cheap, then use them.
if you want your goods to get where they are intented to without any damage, then use someone else.
can you get the goods to Newry? if you can, i can arrange to get them to Surrey in one piece.
but if you want it at the right price, then it’ll have to be tipped as soon as we get there, no [zb]ing about.

I won’t be able to get it to Newry unfortunately, since it’s not me sending the goods, I’m just arranging collection. I can guarantee there won’t be any screwing about to get the goods off the truck when it arrives though. Could you please explain from experiences as to why you believe they wouldn’t get it here in one piece?

So from what people are saying, is it worth going with someone like Avon (I’ve also been given a similar price by Hales if anyone can vouch for them?) for £500 instead of Nolan at £250? The item is worth about £1300

the maoster:
It’s 428cm long x 163cm wide x 132cm high, it has to be kept flat and weighs approx 200kg. It’s going from Waterford in Southern Ireland to Surrey in England.

Dunno if they operate on the Emerald Isle, but any reputable pallet company ( pallex, tpn, palletline etc) would charge about 80 quid (or whatever the equivalent is in your funny money) for that. 2 to 3 day turnaround.
[/quote]
I`ll be interested in the names of pallet companies that will do a 4.28metre long x 1.63 metre wide pallet for £80 anywhere never mind Southern Eire to southern England.

i can recommend Hales freight. i know Roger, he’s as reliable as they get.
Nolans are full of foreign drivers, a lot of them don’t give a [zb] about what’s in the back, some have a temptation to route about in the trailer. not all of them are like that, there are some good lads there. [Removed]

Going over Nolan’s conditions of carriage yet again

Under no circumstances, will the carriage of goods between the Republic of Ireland and the United
Kingdom by the Carrier in either direction be governed by C.M.R. Conditions notwithstanding that a C.M.R. Consignment Note
may have been issued prior to the departure of the goods. The Carrier is not a common carrier and accepts goods for carriage
and undertakes all business on these Conditions

So, I guess that means I have to badger them for a C.M.R consignment note? But then, looking at another site, it states that C.M.R doesn’t apply for deliveries between the UK and Ireland? I’m confused :confused:

you don’t need a CMR.

limeyphil:
you don’t need a CMR.

I did wonder. but then, I’m fairly new to all this.

Would you be able to do anything Limey? Despite not being able to get the goods to Newry?

No matter who you use insurance will all be the same cmr or rha etc etc

This limits the carrier to what the insurer pays out
Normally on weight
I have Couple customers with full risks to 50k etc but costs additional premium for year and reguler work . Wouldnt be poss for a one off job

If your really worried about damage you need to insure over and above the conditions of carriage

Had no dealings with nolans but insurance wise will be same with who ever you use

gettin-on:
No matter who you use insurance will all be the same cmr or rha etc etc

This limits the carrier to what the insurer pays out
Normally on weight
I have Couple customers with full risks to 50k etc but costs additional premium for year and reguler work . Wouldnt be poss for a one off job

If your really worried about damage you need to insure over and above the conditions of carriage

Had no dealings with nolans but insurance wise will be same with who ever you use

Thanks very much for the input :slight_smile: Everyone is proving very helpful on here from my experiences so far. Would you recommend any particular insurance company to go to?

Try your normal company
No doubt your goods are insured when on your premises etc incase of fire theft etc

My personal opinion would be the size of nolans it would be delivering on one of their trucks yes will be groupage at that price etc
But prob less chance of damage than a plt network or a groupage house as once on that truck may get swapped at there depot but more than likely deliver direct to you

Where as groupage plt network would be
Collection off at depot onto trunk off at hub on to delivery vehicle
Maybe even hub to hub inbetween

One of my customers use nolans for irish work around 5 full loads week
Uk to dublin they never have an issue with them

If they were damaging it they would of kicked them off as high ish value equipment

To be honest my view on it is that if you want it done cheap then fair enough but if you want it with a lot less worry and stress you would be more than willing to spend the extra money and send it on a dedicated vehicle.
Depends how important it is to you at the end of the day.
You get what you pay for.
No point paying a pittance then wondering why this or that happened.
If its of any value whatsoever then surely its worth paying extra for.

limeyphil:
you don’t need a CMR.

I don’t know where your coming from here Phill but he does need his goods to be carried either ‘under’ CMR conditions of carriage or on an agreed valuation cover & it looks like Nolans are trying to shake their commitment to CMR cover with this comment;

jezza_hr:

Under no circumstances, will the carriage of goods between the Republic of Ireland and the United
Kingdom by the Carrier in either direction be governed by C.M.R. Conditions notwithstanding that a C.M.R. Consignment Note
may have been issued prior to the departure of the goods. The Carrier is not a common carrier and accepts goods for carriage and undertakes all business on these Conditions

They clearly state that despite the possibility that while a CMR might be issued on collection goods “UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES” will they be governed by CMR conditions!! This looks to me like they’re saying that goods are carried exclusively under their own conditions which I think you’ll find will fall a long way short of the kind of insured valuations that CMR will cover!!!

In summary, if the goods are of either high value, either personal or monetary, I wouldn’t touch these people with a crappy stick!!

It’s enshrined in law that all goods carried across an International border, whether the border is an open (under the Schengen agreement) or closed, all goods carried WILL be carried under CMR conditions & Nolans are breaking international law by stating otherwise. What they have written in their ‘conditions of carriage’ wouldn’t stand up in court & they would have to pay out the full value of the goods (provided the value falls within the conditions laid out in CMR) if damaged or lost.

However, it would almost certainly take a protracted & VERY expensive legal battle before they paid you any more than their conditions state, & we all know that the only people who win from long drawn out legal battles are lawyers!!!

Only use a firm like Nolans for a job like this if you can afford to loose or replace the consignment, if not, get a dedicated vehicle to collect & deliver your goods & ‘bite the bullet’ with the cost.

Ross.

I note that they’re claiming that they weren’t a '“common carrier”!! If not, what are they?

Read; en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_carrier

This gets deeper, they hold a ROI International Operators licence, so what are they if not a “common carrier”■■

Ross.

Right, I’ve made a few phone calls this morning to speak about insurance cover. I spoke to a nice guy over at CG Lloyds who gave me the full run down regarding CMR insurance. He told me that CMR is a law between all European countries (which highlights what you’ve said Ross) and that it should be provided by every carrier that are delivering within the EU countries that cover the legislation. He was a bit confused as to why Nolan suggests that they won’t cover goods coming from Southern Ireland unless they provide a consignment note and he said that if they give me hassle about providing it, then I would be best to take out insurance with a third party such as themselves, but if Nolan DOES provide it then it wouldn’t be necessary as my goods are well within the CMR guidelines to make a claim for the full value if it’s damaged in transit.

I’ve since spoken to Nolan transport and they have said they will E-mail me a CMR consignment note and they didn’t give me any hassle about it. They also assured me that it won’t leave the truck it’s loaded onto until it hits Surrey as they won’t sub contract the work to anyone else, they would rather delay the delivery until they have the available time to carry it out than sub contract.

I think that maybe with some of the issues that Nolan have had over the years with legal battles, they may be trying to do everything more by the book these days to make sure they can gain a decent reputation again or to avoid bad press, or at least I would have hoped, the terms of carriage don’t seem to imply as such and seem fairly contradictory.

I can somewhat understand why people would say it’s better to get a dedicated vehicle to transport my goods if they’re important to me, but when a dedicated vehicle is about four times the cost of the delivery that Nolan are providing, even if it shows up in perfect condition, that’s a big sum of money I would never see again and more than half of the items value.

EDIT:
If anyone fancies going over Nolan’s terms of carriage, you can do so at nolantransport.com/Downloads … itions.pdf
I think this might come in handy for anyone else using them in the future.