A question regarding Nolan Transport

Hi guys,

I’m sorry if this isn’t exactly a really relevant first post and I wasn’t entirely sure what section to put this in, but it seems this is the only forum I could find that has any idea on the subject matter.

Looking around the forum, I’ve seen a fair few comments surrounding Nolan Transport from both a positive and negative point of view, mostly from an employment perspective and down to potentially breaking the law or upsetting VOSA.

But, what I’m trying to find out is, what is their service to their customers like? and are they reliable?
Now, I don’t want to upset any drivers here for Nolan Transport, since I know there are a few here, but I’m having trouble finding customer feedback online and I want to make sure that a collection that they will be doing for me in a couple of weeks will have as few issues as possible, as it’s a personal high value item. Could anyone possibly shed any experiences that they have had or they have been made aware of by customers of Nolan?

Thank you in advance.
Jezza

I’ve moved your topic to where I think it will get more responses. dd.

Bump :smiley:

don’t know about that, but i do know they didn’t like the photo i posted on the facebook page TWICE, because they have removed it TWICE :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

it only showed one of their Noliban drivers ■■■■■■■ up his wheel in a lorry park when there was a toilet 300 meters away, which he walked straight past when he went to the shop after he had finished watering his tyres :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Lets face it, it’s a big firm, been going for a long time. What with the sometimes negative press, they have to be doing something right!

Silver_Surfer:
Lets face it, it’s a big firm, been going for a long time. What with the sometimes negative press, they have to be doing something right!

This is pretty much what I thought. They were the most reasonable for price and probably the quickest of everyone to do the job, mostly because their depot in Wexford is around the corner from the pickup, so it’s not too far off their route. Their hygiene isn’t too much of a concern for me, so long as they don’t ■■■■ on the cargo :laughing: But with the price they’re offering, I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t “too good to be true”.

EDIT: Also, thanks DD for moving the topic, most appreciated.

jezza_hr:

Silver_Surfer:
the quickest of everyone to do the job,

lol.

Why did you book them and then research afterwards?

Saaamon:

jezza_hr:

Silver_Surfer:
the quickest of everyone to do the job,

lol.

Why did you book them and then research afterwards?

They’re not fully booked up yet, everything is tentative at the moment, as I haven’t received the invoice. So I have time to change my mind if I think they’re not up to scratch.

Just for a comparison try these: http://www.avonfreightgroup.co.uk/contact

Santa:

Thank you, I’ll give them a call for a quote tomorrow, it’s worth a shot. But, I’ve had some crazy quotes of nearly £2000 from some companies :confused:

jezza_hr:

Santa:

Thank you, I’ll give them a call for a quote tomorrow, it’s worth a shot. But, I’ve had some crazy quotes of nearly £2000 from some companies :confused:

what size,weight,and distance are you talking about.

browncow2:

jezza_hr:

It’s 428cm long x 163cm wide x 132cm high, it has to be kept flat and weighs approx 200kg. It’s going from Waterford in Southern Ireland to Surrey in England.

jezza_hr:

browncow2:

jezza_hr:

It’s 428cm long x 163cm wide x 132cm high, it has to be kept flat and weighs approx 200kg. It’s going from Waterford in Southern Ireland to Surrey in England.

Dunno if they operate on the Emerald Isle, but any reputable pallet company ( pallex, tpn, palletline etc) would charge about 80 quid (or whatever the equivalent is in your funny money) for that. 2 to 3 day turnaround.

Plenty coming through Pembroke Dock.

Right, I tried Avon but they were double the price of Nolan and some of the other companies mentioned either can’t do it, can’t quote me or have yet to quote me. So, I’m going to stick with Nolan it would seem, as mentioned previously they must be doing something right to have been running as long as they have. I will come back here with my experience once delivery is complete, which should be around the 7th January.

Like anything you get what you pay for. The reason they undercut everyone is they wouldn’t get any work otherwise. They even had a ‘Christmas and New Year Special’ offer on their website last year offering to do UK to Benelux that would barely cover the costs in a car. You want cheap, that’s your company. You want good, I could reel off several high quality Irish companies.

Good luck

jezza_hr:

Hope it’s not expensive and you have it well insured . It won’t go until New year at the earliest - I think Mr Nolan usually hires a plane at this time of the year to fly all the drivers ( and I use that term loosely ) back to Poland for their week off for Christmas .
If you pay peanuts what do you get ?

Whats most likely to happen is one of two things. They’ll take your money and cram it on to a groupage trailer so its squashed under god knows what. OR, farm the work off to a pallet line company for next to nothing and keep the other 90% of what you paid as pure profit, while your item is delivered by a six wheel rigid operated by a local company who distribute the inbound Irish groupage. I could be wrong but we all know as drivers how many times work passes hands between the shipper and the actual company who transports it.

beefy4605:

jezza_hr:

Hope it’s not expensive and you have it well insured . It won’t go until New year at the earliest - I think Mr Nolan usually hires a plane at this time of the year to fly all the drivers ( and I use that term loosely ) back to Poland for their week off for Christmas .
If you pay peanuts what do you get ?

Well, they’ve confirmed their insurance will cover it against damage and I’ve clarified with them on how it will be transported, how it will be secured etc. I know it’s not being done until the New Year, we’ve already arranged collection for the 3rd January specifically. I know it’s going on a curtain side, I can tell you that much.

Like I said, I think part of the reason it’s not overly expensive is due to their depots being within easy reach of both collection and delivery locations. Most of the other people I have spoken to are charging more due to having to go 3-4 hours in the wrong direction in order to make the pickup. I spoke to Stobbart for example and they wanted to charge £1250 for the delivery, because they would have to take it to a different port to go across to Liverpool instead of Pembroke.

I’m not expecting the delivery to turn up on the back of a bald Eagle with gold wings, I’m only interested in it turning up in one piece. Even if it is a day or two late, that’s not too much of an issue.

EDIT:
Okay, I think being told over the phone that their insurance will cover it could be a little lie, I’ve just gone over their conditions of carriage to look for what’s covered and have found this

“(1) All carriage of goods by the Carrier is at the sole risk of the Trader and it is the exclusive and sole responsibility of the Trader and/or any other person interested in the goods being carried to effect and maintain adequate and sufficient insurance cover on the goods against all appropriate risks as may be deemed necessary by them while same are being so carried and transported”

I’m assuming this means I need to seek my own insurance to cover the good against damage etc? But then looking at companies like Avon, they seem to say the same thing in their terms of service, does this mean I should be seeking insurance from a third party?

Avoid Nolans like the Norovirus! :laughing:

jezza_hr:
I’m assuming this means I need to seek my own insurance to cover the good against damage etc? But then looking at companies like Avon, they seem to say the same thing in their terms of service, does this mean I should be seeking insurance from a third party?

Get them to confirm that they will be carrying it under CMR conditions of carriage, then speak to your broker & tell him it’s being carried ‘under CMR’ and ask him to make certain you have sufficient cover for your commitments under CMR.

Good luck, just make sure that it’s confirmed in writing (paper or email) by them that it’ll be under CMR conditions.

Ross.