A question for people thinking about doing test/new drivers

and also those who have been in the game a while.

Fairly straight forward(he says!) and purely out of interest as I’m bored on a Friday evening.

What made you/makes you want to/wanted to do you LGV/HGV test?

Strange one I know but I’m interested to see why people did it…yes I am THAT bored

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … ne+trucker

Ive always been interested in trucks, and ever since I was 2/3 years old Ive always wanted to be a truck driver…

Lady P:
http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=30104&highlight=made+becone+trucker

sorry didn’t look that far back!

I passed my test at 19 drove vans till I was 21 then 7.5ton.Did mechanicing then taxi driving.I got an lump sum off my mother at 31 that was to pay for training had the medical then my wife spent the money on buying nothing .On hold but after she passed away .I saw an advert for training for bus drivers all ready had the provisional as I got both at once.I passed my test drove buses for a couple of years .Got made redundant tried coach driving found it better .Did the upgrade to a stick license.Earlier this year split with my ex .And to get my head together I thought I would get my class 2.Over a grand later I got my license now I,m looking for work but no joy.I keep hoping.

When I was a young’n, no more than about 8, I recall sitting in a restaurant with my parents in a classic old French hotel on the old N10 about an hour south of Bordeaux. Outside was a large dusty car park which throughout my meal became filled up with huge artics from all different countries and the drivers came in to eat. I was awed by the size and the sounds of these great machines in the yard, and I knew that I wanted to be one of those drivers one day.

Another time, a few yeard later in a Spanish hotel “La Imperial” north of Zaragoza heading towards Pamplona, one sleepless night I went out onto the balcony and watched and listened to the lorries gliding and moaning (you know, that kind of noise you hear as a lorry in the distance cruises swiftly up an incline) past late at night on the nearby highway.

Those was my earliest memories.

All throughout my upbringing I have been intruiged by lorries, usually as we sped past them on the M25.

And so hear I am, on my class two at the moment so not quite hit the class one target yet, but I’m well on my way. Thing is, the reality’s pretty naff in the current job I’m in when compared to those dreams I had when I was younger! Though I know that’s down to the fact that it’s difficult for me to get the work I want as I have limited experience. I’ll get the break one day though…

About 15 years ago I needed a job saw adverts from training schools saying driver shortage .HA.HA.EVentually passed test and got nowhere without experience.same as today.Then did bus test been on mainly school work ever since and get some agency driving in trucks during school holidays.I would like to convey to newbies what they are up against when they pass the test at great personal expense.

garnerlives:

I doubt many people want to do the test but they want the license which you can’t have without doing the test :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Well not legally anyway :unamused: :smiley:

tachograph:

garnerlives:

I doubt many people want to do the test but they want the license which you can’t have without doing the test :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Well not legally anyway :unamused: :smiley:

We all agree its tough out there I have nothing against the Poles etc. but where are all of the jobs.

Johnpirate, hope you don’t mind me asking but why don’t you go back to driving buses if you have C and D? It must beat being out of work surely?

the money and how wrong i was

■■■■■■ 00, I reconise those legs sure I’ve seen them at the concorde club. :wink:

ill be a changing these legs shortly for a different xmas avatar

hi just joined .had my artic test friday.had a clear drive no minors but instructor failed me as i took 3 shunts to get it into bay he said i slightly brushed kerb but did not mount it messed start of reverse up due to nerves once out of test center calm as anything.do u think your trainner should assess your reverse and emergancy stop and pass you as he is training you all week and knows what you can do.when u are in the test center u have one chance of nailing it .would like your feed back got retest in jan.buy the way examiner said he was gutted to fail me thnks john1070

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome john1070 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

GENERAL DRIVING TIPS BEFORE STARTING LGV C TRAINING (Link)

If you click the link in my signature or these truck pics

it will lead you to an index where you can access a lot more info which may be of use to you :smiley: :smiley:

BEFORE you book your training, READ THIS… - I suggest the trainee-to-be visits the training school, meets the head person(s) and has a quick look at the truck BEFORE parting with any money.

Recommended LGV training schools

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE & Is this country short of drivers ?

FAQ forum for info on Posting Pics, Driver CPC, Getting 1st LGV Licence and much more…

Nerves are the biggest test killer and there is no cure.

I have always said that a certain amount of input should be allowed by the instructor towards the test but I don’t think that will ever happen - the DSA do not like their Examiners to be influenced in any way - the DSA like their closed shop.

john1070:
hi just joined .had my artic test friday.had a clear drive no minors but instructor failed me as i took 3 shunts to get it into bay he said i slightly brushed kerb but did not mount it messed start of reverse up due to nerves once out of test center calm as anything.do u think your trainner should assess your reverse and emergancy stop and pass you as he is training you all week and knows what you can do.when u are in the test center u have one chance of nailing it .would like your feed back got retest in jan.buy the way examiner said he was gutted to fail me thnks john1070

Was this on the road test or on the reverse :question:

No road minors and a fail for taking 3 shunts :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: - when will the DSA get real :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Try to keep in practice as they can easily fail you on some other small thing.
As you had a good drive I think discretion was called for.

brushed kerb in test center as i was reversing did not hit any cones got into bay on abit of a angle back end was in yellow area i think its harsh

hi rog just looked at your diagram for reverse .when we were at test center there was 2 artics there 1 was were your pic indicates and i was two the side so i had to start of at a angle any way when i got to the two cones my trailer was on a angle i no the examiners word is final but it sure has hacked me of great forum

john1070:
hi rog just looked at your diagram for reverse .when we were at test center there was 2 artics there 1 was were your pic indicates and i was two the side so i had to start of at a angle any way when i got to the two cones my trailer was on a angle i no the examiners word is final but it sure has hacked me of great forum

I woud have thought that if you were starting your run from the left of the normal start position towards the A cones but going to the right of the B cone, then it should not have made any difference.

I used to get my trainees to start the set up from the garage finish box and that was with a max 16.5 metre artic :exclamation: :exclamation: