A Question for All

Do you feel there is any driving offence where you should get a life Ban .

If you do state the Offence and why it should be a life ban …

Causing death by dangerous driving is the obvious one…but most people convicted of this I would of thought dont have licences anyway, so a life ban wouldnt really bother them.

DS074:
Causing death by dangerous driving is the obvious one…but most people convicted of this I would of thought dont have licences anyway, so a life ban wouldnt really bother them.

And would a life ban stop them driving?

A criminal with a sawn off shotgun doesn’t worry that his shotgun certificate has expired.

But I do believe that anyone caught without insurance should get a driving ban, minimum 2 years and pay the insurance that you missed like back tax

i don’t think there’s any offense that would warrant a life ban, we can all make mistakes and deserve the chance to start again after all even murderers are given a second chance.

point been is even if they did give out lifetime bans it would be pointless because as it has proven many times pepole wornt stop driving and second of all the punishment aint consitent .

get done for kiddy fiddling you get let out to do it again second you get pepole who steal they just get let of the hook as dont have any money so govermont aint intrested .

Drink driving?
Ok, maybe a life ban after the first time you might class as harsh, but if you get caught a second time, then that should be it.
If your stupid enough to do it the first time, then do it another time, then that should be it i think.
Get on your bike, or get a bus pass. End of.

hogging the middle lane.
driving a bmw.
being an ugly ■■■■■ in view of a truck driver.
not being able to handle your drink while driving.
wearing a hi viz while driving.
using a tachograph.
being lazy.
being a puff while driving.
failure to laugh at the scene of a caravan accident.

hogging the middle lane.
driving a bmw.
being an ugly ■■■■■ in view of a truck driver.
not being able to handle your drink while driving.
wearing a hi viz while driving.
using a tachograph.
being lazy.
being a puff while driving.
failure to laugh at the scene of a caravan accident.

You forgot Audi Drivers… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

JoeG:
Drink driving?
Ok, maybe a life ban after the first time you might class as harsh, but if you get caught a second time, then that should be it.
If your stupid enough to do it the first time, then do it another time, then that should be it i think.

Interesting view

What if they killed someone whilst drunk would that make a differance ?

A life time ban would be very very hard to enforce, I can’t see any offence that would warrant a lifetime ban.

Admittedly if a person was to cause a death, whilst fleeing from police in a stolen car, whilst high on dring or drugs (sorry most severe situation I could think of) then the prison sentence should be long enough that they would be off the road for a long long time.

I think then the emphasis should be on rehabilitation on release.

I am sure there is no driving offence perse that would lead to a life ban. However, intentionally using a vehicle as a weapon to kill someone would attract a murder charge but the prosecution would have to prove intent, and you probably would not get banned for that!

So running the wife down is ok as long as you didnt plan it beforehand, just be sure you are wearing a hi viz jacket and safety boots then you can claim that she should have seen you coming. :open_mouth: :unamused:

i don’t understand why people are so against drink drivers, it’s the same with the courts. ok no one should do it, however if some druggy breaks into your house and gets caught. What happens? he goes to court, his solicitor says he is getting help for his drug problem, he is now a reformed druggy who is very sorry and he won’t do it again until tommorow. they let him go and offer him more help.
you get a driver who gets pulled over on monday morning, he is found to be over the limit, he loses his licence, his job, his home, his self respect. but some people want them to become tramps with no way of rebuilding their lives. to ban someone for life, is just like kicking a man when he’s on the ground.
when someone drinks too much they don’t think in a rational way, so it could be argued that they are not responsible for their actions. that’s the argument that they use for the druggies.

i’m not saying that i agree with drink driving, but any of us could ■■■■ up and be over the limit the next day. but the courts seem to think that a drink driver and a murderer have a close link, whereas a druggie is treated like a victim.

What if they killed someone whilst drunk or on drugs would that make a differance ?

Rememeber they chose to drink and drive there is no excuse …

In that case forget the life ban lock them up for life …

26 years an Lgv Trainer:
What if they killed someone whilst drunk or on drugs would that make a differance ?

not everyone chooses to drink and drive.
some people drive when they believe they are ok, but get pulled and that’s when they find out they are over the limit.
or someone drives to the pub with the intention of getting a cab back, they have so much to drink that they start to think in an irational manner, they drive home. they didn’t intend to do this in the first place.

JoeG:
Drink driving?

This is a sentiment that I agree with if you don’t learn from the first time then the PRIVALIDGE of driving should be withdrawn for life.

shortfatbaldbloke:
A life time ban would be very very hard to enforce,

Not really. any time left to serve from the driving ban would be served behind bars. 3 strikes and all that.

1st offence DD
2nd offence DD
3rd offence driving while disqualified.
Simples.

limeyphil:

26 years an Lgv Trainer:

not everyone chooses to drink and drive.
some people drive when they believe they are ok, but get pulled and that’s when they find out they are over the limit.
or someone drives to the pub with the intention of getting a cab back, they have so much to drink that they start to think in an irational manner, they drive home. they didn’t intend to do this in the first place.

Maybe we need a law change that no drink driving allowed at all.

They may not intend to drive home but if they do whilst drunk and kill someone they should not get banned they should be locked up for life …

People soon change their views if a family member or a close friend is the one killed by a drunk driver and they get 2 years…

Everyone needs a licence for whatever reason so why take the chance …

Errrrrrr i thought i was ok …

limeyphil:
i don’t understand why people are so against drink drivers, it’s the same with the courts. ok no one should do it, however if some druggy breaks into your house and gets caught. What happens? he goes to court, his solicitor says he is getting help for his drug problem, he is now a reformed druggy who is very sorry and he won’t do it again until tommorow. they let him go and offer him more help.

you get a driver who gets pulled over on monday morning, he is found to be over the limit, he loses his licence, his job, his home, his self respect. but some people want them to become tramps with no way of rebuilding their lives. to ban someone for life, is just like kicking a man when he’s on the ground.

i’m not saying that i agree with drink driving, but any of us could ■■■■ up and be over the limit the next day. but the courts seem to think that a drink driver and a murderer have a close link, whereas a druggie is treated like a victim.

Well said that man

26 years an Lgv Trainer:
Maybe we need a law change that no drink driving allowed at all.

Why ? the limits already too low

The fact is that most accidents are not caused by alcohol, but if you’re involved in an accident after having even a small amount of alcohol then the accident is said to be alcohol related even if the person who caused the accident is tea total :unamused:

Of cause any right minded person will be against drunk driving but that’s not the same as drink driving.

Getting back to the opening topic, I don’t think there’s any single or one off offence that warrants a life ban.

This may seem weird but anyone caught driving with out a licence, never passed a test, banned for good.
Coppers that get caught misusing / speeding unnecessarily in their jam sandwiches, been a few cases of that recently.
Joyriders and car thieves, same thing really, banned for good.

The thing with this idea is that the people who are likely to attract such a ban are unlikely to take any notice of it. repeated drink drivers, joyriders etc, they show complete disregard for the law in the first place so it would mean nothing, the way some of the States in the USA do it, such as making them do community service around the town in a bright pink jumpsuit with drunken driver/car thief written on the back would be a far better detterent.

Causing death by dangerous/drunken driving should see you get locked up for at least 10-15yrs & I mean locked up, not just sentanced to, a driving ban is nowhere near enough, I’ve heard what’s been said about the morning after, well if you’re driving the next day, stop drinking early enough so that you’ll be sober by the time you have to drive, if your beer is too important to be able to do that then you’ve got a problem, now don’t get me wrong, i’m no namby pamby liberal, but getting in a vehicle when drunk should be viewed the same as murder, if you can’t control a car it can do the same damage as a gun, BTW I love going out & getting hammered, I just stay away from driving the next day, my licence alone is too valuable, let alone the rest of it.

Persistant offenders should get a lifetime ban.