a question for all.

are hgv drivers happy working for agencies or would you rather have a job on the books of a company.

When I started out I went to work at a company on a temp - perm deal, 10 weeks on agency, afterwards on the company.

Obviously it was the same depot everyday, and i got a guaranteed 8 hrs even if I cleared the load in 6, if I went over 8 I was on overtime. If it was a quiet week I would have an easy day but earn mediocre money. When I moved to the company they paid us for 49 hours whether or not we worked it and paid an attendance allowance on top, this meant an easy week was still reasonably paid. However they would not pay overtime until you had collectively across the week worked more than 49 hours, then the overtime rate was a few pence higher than the hourly rate which was crap anyway because they took the standard weeks pay, took off the bonus and divided the balance by 49

The bad thing about this system was you could get a 12hr day one day and an 8 the next, yet go no ectra for the long day like you would on the agency.

Still I would prefer the company option (just not that particular one) as I found it suited me better.

The company option I guess is the best bet given the security aspect and the trimings that usually go with it.

One thing to remember is that Agys are driven by client needs and that reflects in the way they treat the drivers they have.

The number of agencys in my area is growing all looking for the same work.
My biggest gripe is that they are not straight john bull with drivers at times.

I have worked for a few on my patch and my top two at the minute are QRF Ossett and Temper Recruitment in Ackworth.

Having said the above I know there will be drivers who disagree with the above. It is just my personal opinion.

thecoder0:
I have worked for a few on my patch and my top two at the minute are QRF Ossett and Temper Recruitment in Ackworth.

Having said the above I know there will be drivers who disagree with the above. It is just my personal opinion.

qrf are ok but their rate vary which you have to keep on top off which i learnt to my mistake.

to be honest the thing that put me off them was i had post my timesheets in with them when they are to far away for me.

im staring a new job today week, working for drivers direct in runcorn, i will be delivering for somerfields,# from lea green in st helens (wincanton)
the guy has told me that they have over 100 drivers in there and that the work SHOULD be plentifull.
i hope this is true… i really do…
im the same as the rest of te country and have rent to pay each month, so fingers crossed.

northernirishinlpool:
im staring a new job today week, working for drivers direct in runcorn, i will be delivering for somerfields,# from lea green in st helens (wincanton)
the guy has told me that they have over 100 drivers in there and that the work SHOULD be plentifull.
i hope this is true… i really do…
im the same as the rest of te country and have rent to pay each month, so fingers crossed.

What happened to Cains?

I’m on the agency at the moment - would rather be working direct, just for the slightly better job security !!!

G

hi mike, decided not to so it, money and hours was not very good. wages could of been allot more,
i will earn more through an agency.

northernirishinlpool:
are hgv drivers happy working for agencies or would you rather have a job on the books of a company.

how much will you pay,and for what :question:

Gazzareth:
I’m on the agency at the moment - would rather be working direct, just for the slightly better job security !!!

G

:confused: which job security you mean :question:
sickpay?
Pension?

northernirishinlpool:
hi mike, decided not to so it, money and hours was not very good. wages could of been allot more,
i will earn more through an agency.

What where they offering out of interest?
BTW watch that Drivers direct don’t send you up to Warrington to securicor omega logistics, they deduct an hour off you for you break and it takes ages to get there in the rush hour traffic as well.

Confused which job security you mean Question

The not getting laid off straight after Christmas type !!

G