A new task for Bazman

Fuel Cards and Fuel Stations

Is it just me who gets annoyed that truck drivers have to hand in their fuel cards before being allowed to fuel up? Yesterday at Northampton Services, (Rothersthorpe) I pulled onto the pump and tried to get fuel, there were signs saying that cards have to be authorised before pumps are turned on.

I went into the shop and had to join a queue to validate my card, I asked for it back and was refused, So I went to fill up and then joined another queue.

I told the numpty my pump number, and he printed the receipt to sign, at the same time another driver was waiting, who had filled up next to me.

The cashier got our cards mixed up and caused an even bigger queue, on the pumps and at the shop till.

Then a manageress was called, I told her that if we didnt have to validate the cards the queues would be much less. and that we should be given our cards back. Her answer was that it was head office who dictate this rule. BP in this case. she also said that they had never made this mistake before :open_mouth:

Would she give a stranger her credit card?. No but this is not a credit card, well mine is, its not truck related or company related, but its a BP fuel card in the name of Mr Malc Wheelnut

After much confusion, there were 3 people trying to sort out the mess, I eventually got the right card and the correct receipt, while this other driver had to wait while BP were contacted to sort out the accounts.

I suggest Barrie starts a new campaign to stop this stupid practice, I have had fuel put onto my card in France when the divvy cashiers have given the wrong cards to the wrong driver.

It annoys me that we are treated like the scum of the earth on the roads and as thieves when we try to buy fuel. How many sales reps or company directors have to hand their gold mastercard in before being allowed to fuel?

Can Barrie find out how many drive offs are committed by lorry drivers?

Another pet hate is when I try to fill my motorbike up at some garages, they will not turn the pumps on until you have removed your helmet and got off the motorbike. In this case, I just refuse to conform and ride to the next station. I cannot do this with the truck so easily.

And while on my grumpy old man rant again, would it be so difficult to put the fuel suppliers name on the motorway service signs before getting to the service area, as they do in Europe

Prefectly acceptable to have to hand your fuel card in but as i understand as long as you have your front and rear fogs on you dont have to as they accept you are a VERY professional driver… :unamused:

The reason they keep your card is because of the large amount of fuel you Could drive off with for free.
As for motorbikes and helmets, would you allow someone to fill up whilst wearing a ski mask?
I doubt it, most stations have video for driver identification, just in case of a drive off.
I think it is a fair one in both cases.
However, if the station was a little better organised, and had a place to put each card in a numbered square for each pump, then the confusion you describe would not have happened.

totaly agree with you Malc, I have a company credit card and have discussed the issue of it being out my possesion with the boss, but he just shrugs his shoulders, if the diesel is cheap take the chance is his attitude. what really annoys me, though i rarely use BP but most of theyre modern forcourts have CCTV and number plate recognition so there is no excuse for this policy. I use a shell at St Albans at least once and sometimes twice a week, and they still want my card, though where i was working before i used to fill up on a Monday morning at a shell in Norwich, and they never asked for my card :wink:

The worst bit is joining the end of a que, (usually 5 or 6 people, who have to pay for their can of drink and bag of crisps with a credit card) just to hand the cashier your card to get your diesel, when if you just filled up, THEN joined the que to pay, you would probably save yourself 10mins :smiling_imp: :open_mouth: :wink:

Wheel Nut:
Fuel Cards and Fuel Stations

Is it just me who gets annoyed that truck drivers have to hand in their fuel cards before being allowed to fuel up? Yesterday at Northampton Services, (Rothersthorpe) I pulled onto the pump and tried to get fuel, there were signs saying that cards have to be authorised before pumps are turned on.

It annoys me that we are treated like the scum of the earth on the roads and as thieves when we try to buy fuel. How many sales reps or company directors have to hand their gold mastercard in before being allowed to fuel?

And while on my grumpy old man rant again, would it be so difficult to put the fuel suppliers name on the motorway service signs before getting to the service area, as they do in Europe

No, its not just you :astonished: :astonished:
you have hit on one of my pet hates WheelNut, i agree with you 110% mate :imp: :imp:

i try and avoid msa’s for fuel for all of the above plus theres always the prat that pulls onto a pump, dosn’t put any fuel in, just goes straight into the shop and buys a can of coke and a mars bar :imp:
if i do use em it’s normally the last services on the 42 north bound, can’t think of the name but you hand your card in, which for me is a debit card off my business account, but although i can spend any amount of money on that card in any shop in the uk, assuming i’ve got the money in the account, this particular services will only allow a max of £100, why? because it’s company policy! :unamused:

if you have to hand the card in and its busy just walk to front of que give them the card and tell the pump number

if its quiete show them the card and retain it

Wheel Nut:

Right with you on this Malc! When I lived in Germany our company had Shell & Aral fuel cards. Refuelling was easy ‘over there’ as you could see the brand of fuel station from quite a distance, Germany especially with their big tall signs (also useful for choosing BK or Big Mc!).

Once we got to UK it was quite hit & miss unless you were on a regular run and had already found the fuel stations you could use.

Why did the fuel station right outside the port (Dover) change from Shell to BP?? :angry: It’s a good job I found the Shell garage in Calais otherwise it was touch & go if i’d make it to Birchanger!

As for the other points, I can kinda see both sides. :unamused:

hitch:
if you have to hand the card in and its busy just walk to front of que give them the card and tell the pump number

that works for me :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

If they can let car drivers fill up by inserting their credit card into the pump why not let lorry’s & coaches do the same with their fuel cards?

They even get the benefit of not having to deal with us lowly drivers :unamused:

I think they should put the fuel suppliers name
on the motorway service signs before getting to
the service area also. As for handing the card
over why dont they put a card machine connected
to the pump where you would swipe the card and
enter a pin number before you can use the pump.

convoy:
I think they should put the fuel suppliers name
on the motorway service signs before getting to
the service area also. As for handing the card
over why dont they put a card machine connected
to the pump where you would swipe the card and
enter a pin number before you can use the pump.

i second all of this even though i rarely use a card. we only have them for emergencies but i still have to remember which pumps are BP :unamused:

Got to agree with most of the comments on here.

most annoying when you pull into the services to find it is shell and you need Bp, waste of valuable time.

■■? how is bazman supposed to know if he no longer post on here.

JohnGr:

There are a lot of people who read these forums who dont post :stuck_out_tongue:

He is probably in a phonebox changing his underwear as we speak :smiley:

Wheel Nut:

JohnGr:

There are a lot of people who read these forums who dont post :stuck_out_tongue:

To true, I have been looking for 6 months and only just posting.

JohnGr:
most annoying when you pull into the services to find it is shell and you need Bp, waste of valuable time.

Our Shell cards can be used in BP garages! :wink:

Denis F:

hitch:

that works for me :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Me too. I never queue to hand the card in, only to pay. :wink:

Wheel Nut:

JohnGr:

Has baz got botty trouble then malc?.. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Scanny77:
but i still have to remember which pumps are BP

Psst. They’re the green ones. :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Lucy:
Me too. I never queue to hand the card in, only to pay. :wink:

Likewise. Straight to the front of the queue to hand it in.

What I also find irritating is that canopy heights are invariably quoted in metric. Bridge heights on UK road must be measured in Imperial. I know my height in feet and inches, I don’t need to know it in Metric. So why do they insist on using Metric. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: