A look at (the still non existant) Tesla Semi's viability

youtube.com/watch?v=Uv44W7xa4IU

We’ll look at six major questions:

1. What is the battery capacity and weight?
  2. How much range will it actually have?
  3. How much does the Semi weigh, and how much power does it make?
  4. What’s the charging rate?
  5. How much will the Tesla Semi cost to opperate?
  6. Will the Tesla Semi have better emissions than a diesel?

[Trigger warning for physics and some simple math]

Of course it all sounds great in theory (going by Tesla’s own claims since there’s not a single truck existing which can be examined/tested) but will it ever be produced and then produced en masse, how much is the charging infrastructure going to cost and its reliability/operation cost/maintenance cost, batteries lifespan etc. remain unanswered for now.

Does it really matter to any driver? No point in worrying about it. It’s going to happen one day just let them sort it out and enjoy what you do right now.
The way the world is now there are far more important things to worry about surely. Live for today. :wink:

I`ll be looking at that later.

Before even seeing it though, remember that in the EU there are proposals to allow E vehicles an extra couple of ton GVM to allow for battery weight, and on the costs, that US prices are very different to EU and UK prices.
That isn`t making any judgment, it is only a first impression.

ETS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv44W7xa4IU

We’ll look at six major questions:

1. What is the battery capacity and weight?
  2. How much range will it actually have?
  3. How much does the Semi weigh, and how much power does it make?
  4. What’s the charging rate?
  5. How much will the Tesla Semi cost to opperate?
  6. Will the Tesla Semi have better emissions than a diesel?

[Trigger warning for physics and some simple math]

Of course it all sounds great in theory (going by Tesla’s own claims since there’s not a single truck existing which can be examined/tested) but will it ever be produced and then produced en masse, how much is the charging infrastructure going to cost and its reliability/operation cost/maintenance cost, batteries lifespan etc. remain unanswered for now.

I watched that video the other day I’m subscribed to his EE channel. I guess we’ll get to know if he’s on the mark pretty soon, The Tesla Semi has started production & the first deliveries of the Tesla Semi to customers (Pepsi) will start on December 1st. topelectricsuv.com/news/tesla/t … -feb-2022/

jakethesnake:
Does it really matter to any driver? No point in worrying about it. It’s going to happen one day just let them sort it out and enjoy what you do right now.
The way the world is now there are far more important things to worry about surely. Live for today. :wink:

You’re chilling out and becoming very Zen Jake my old mate. I reckon The Netherlands and the “special “ brownies are doing you the power of good :smiley: :smiley:

jakethesnake:

Yes, God forbid we stop talking and thinking about Brexit, war and inflation on a Saturday and instead talk about trucks on a truck forum in the trucking section

Franglais he does account for an extra 2000lbs allowance for electric trucks (USA)

I think though his electricity price vs. diesel may not be entirely correct. If enough EVs are in use then the price of electricity will rise to accommodate for the vastly increased demand where as the price of diesel will have to go down to compensate for the falling demand so the 2 may be much closer (in terms of overall vehicle running costs)

I’m still skeptical about the whole thing, kind of want it to work out but I doubt it will replace diesel trucks entirely, at best it will attain a certain % of the market share. With that said I wouldn’t mind trying one of them out

ETS:

jakethesnake:

Yes, God forbid we stop talking and thinking about Brexit, war and inflation on a Saturday and instead talk about trucks on a truck forum in the trucking section

Franglais he does account for an extra 2000lbs allowance for electric trucks (USA)

I think though his electricity price vs. diesel may not be entirely correct. If enough EVs are in use then the price of electricity will rise to accommodate for the vastly increased demand where as the price of diesel will have to go down to compensate for the falling demand so the 2 may be much closer (in terms of overall vehicle running costs)

I’m still skeptical about the whole thing, kind of want it to work out but I doubt it will replace diesel trucks entirely, at best it will attain a certain % of the market share. With that said I wouldn’t mind trying one of them out

Classic economics says, price(electricity) will increase in price if there is increased demand and a limited or fixed supply.
IF ne-newables work out well then there will not be a fixed supply of electricity, and the cost won`t necessarily rise.
All very tenuous of course, but go look at the history of wind electricity in the UK and North Sea. Supply up, unit price down.

Franglais:
Classic economics says, price(electricity) will increase in price if there is increased demand and a limited or fixed supply.
IF ne-newables work out well then there will not be a fixed supply of electricity, and the cost won`t necessarily rise.
All very tenuous of course, but go look at the history of wind electricity in the UK and North Sea. Supply up, unit price down.

I don’t know, there’s also seasonal demand/production fluctuations etc.

Something else that bothers me is the driver’s position…in the middle of the cab. Wouldn’t that leave you with 2 semi-blind spots? Also clearly whoever thought it would be a good idea has never had to reverse an artic

The fact of the matter is this. Most trailers on the road do not pull anywhere near the weighted capacity.
Argos do not. Royal Mail do not. Most parcel firms if not all parcel firms do not.
I could list loads but its besides the point.

There is a market for EV trucks. But they are not gonna replace a 800bhp Scania anytime soon.

Are Nikola not further ahead in developing an EV heavy truck than Tesla??

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Big Truck:
Are Nikola not further ahead in developing an EV heavy truck than Tesla??

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

reuters.com/legal/us-jury-d … 022-10-14/
Looked good on paper, but that is where it stayed

Gonna take a long time to practically make it work, governments have to have the infrastructure in place before it can kick off and even then, there’s probably gonna be problems.
Tesla have lots of charging stations for cars all over the place which is nice but truck stops and service stations etc are already struggling for room as it is, let alone having to find room for large vehicle charging stations plus the room for said vehicles to park. After that, you will have issues with drivers charging the truck and houring out then spending the night blocking a station etc. . .
Will be interesting come winter too, I don’t have much faith myself just yet but one can be enlightened of course.
What happens when one is pulling 63,500kgs through the mountains in the middle of the night in winter, which is usually my time to shine, then your truck has low battery and it’s several hours to the next station or if you are out and get stuck in a road closure overnight etc, it doesn’t take long to freeze to death in minus 30 and beyond and the battery can only run everything for so long.

Like I said, it’s gonna take a long while to get it to work in practice, it looks and sounds lovely in concept but reality is a different situation.

Then you have all the arguments on how “green” it will really be after the logistics of the life and death of a battery. . . But that’s for another thread :laughing:

The maths say it can’t work.
There’s more than 3kwh contained in a litre of diesel allowing for 30% efficiency at worse closer to 40% efficiency in the real world.
Call it 60p per kWh including road fuel duty and 20% VAT.
As opposed to battery weight per kWh and battery cost.
While electric costs almost 50p per kWh not including road fuel duty and with only 5% VAT.
While fast charging costs closer to £1 per kWh.
While the costs of a nuclear accident or two will add significantly to that.
Sounds like a great investment opportunity to bet your pension on.

I don’t think the Telsa semi will ever come to Europe as it will be
to long. The new length laws that the Daf xg is is the max lengh
a cab can be with a standard length trailer and the Tesla looks a lot bigger than the Daf.

fingermissing:
a cab can be with a standard length trailer and the Tesla looks a lot bigger than the Daf.

Just you watch governments rush to change laws to make EV trucks in the EU a thing.

the maoster:

jakethesnake:

You’re chilling out and becoming very Zen Jake my old mate. I reckon The Netherlands and the “special “ brownies are doing you the power of good :smiley: :smiley:

Love it here, just living out my old age in some kind of euphoria. :smiley:

adam277:

fingermissing:

Just you watch governments rush to change laws to make EV trucks in the EU a thing.

They will definitely be a thing in the EU/UK, HGV’s will be included in the upcoming Euro 7 emission standard for the first time ever & will see diesel trucks having to be 65% cleaner by 2030 than they are today. heliox-energy.com/megawatt-charging-system

lancpudn:

adam277:

fingermissing:

They will definitely be a thing in the EU/UK, HGV’s will be included in the upcoming Euro 7 emission standard for the first time ever & will see diesel trucks having to be 65% cleaner by 2030 than they are today. heliox-energy.com/megawatt-charging-system

And simple arithmetic says 320mls is way over 4hrs30 driving.

(Cue…but when you`re double manned in Alps at 300tonnes and a charging point is already occupied etc etc)

lets assume 10 mpg in a modern truck. at last nights price thats £8.39 per gallon (pump price at 184.9) so that is 83.9 pence per mile. According to tesla it takes 2 kwh per mile. price of domestic electric is 50 pence per kwh so the truck would cost you £1 per mile 16.1 pence more

Are those batteries ( l ion?) not going to get very hot indeed charging at that rate?