a look at life

just seen this 1960 short film, a look at life-all through the night, on youtube,what do you think of it , cant seem to do a link to it sorry

lol pressure gauges built into their boots love it

Wonderful bit of film(nostalgias not what it used to be :laughing:)when I first started work (1964 ) there were plenty of “S” types about, if you had one with a Leyland engine you were a senior driver, your next motor would an AEC,Leyland or Foden!

It’s nice to know nothing has changed then,

The driver gets a couple of shillings extra for doing the night shift.
Rolflmao :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

hyper26:
lol pressure gauges built into their boots love it

I take it you still don’t know how to do that then :unamused: :unamused: :laughing:

Fantastic find that, thanks for posting. :smiley:

A few interesting facts, such as 61,000 vehicles licenced to carry goods for hire and reward and 500,000 for own account work. I should think proportion would be the other way round now.

Apparently there are less than 500,000 hgv registered in the UK these days, I think that means anything over 3.5tonnes.
There a fact for your car driving mates when they complain of to many trucks on the road, it’s to many cars. :laughing:

Love the security device in the cab. :smiley:

I didn’t realise they used that coupling system where the legs left up automatically, on trucks that large, I thought is was only Scammell Scarabs that had them.

Great stuff. How funny it is to look back at how simple and beige things were back then. Did the narrator say “some firms won’t let their drivers use the M1”? I wonder if there is ANY firm that says that now.

Snudger:
Great stuff. How funny it is to look back at how simple and beige things were back then. Did the narrator say “some firms won’t let their drivers use the M1”? I wonder if there is ANY firm that says that now.

Now it’s don’t use the M6 toll it costs money :laughing:

Brought back memories of how most used to drive around in London using sidelights only. I can’t recall ever seeing a London bus with its headlight (yes n/s only) on, unless there were no street lights.

The ROSPA award used to get them in the forces but never seen them since do they still exist?

Wally is doing well if he can afford a nice car like that, bet not many wagon drivers owned a 4 dooor saloon back then.

lol i love his name …Wally lol :grimacing:

“Something queer going on” . . . wouldnt be able too get away with saying that nowadays.

Suedehead:
“Something queer going on” . . . wouldnt be able too get away with saying that nowadays.

Nor driving round with a ■■■ constantly on the go

8 minute film puts 5(?) series of Stobarts to shame.

Soldier z:

Suedehead:

Nor driving round with a ■■■ constantly on the go

OO err missus.No more questions mlud.

A fascinating piece of film, I had never seen it before so thanks for posting.

I love the way the drivers are dressed, with their “On the Buses” uniforms and hats!

Brilliant!! I like the weekend drivers quip near the end!! Nothing changes! :laughing:

Great stuff

Harry Monk:
A fascinating piece of film, I had never seen it before so thanks for posting.

I love the way the drivers are dressed, with their “On the Buses” uniforms and hats!

I think we should bring back the hats8-)

excellent. so un PC!!