A little reading for all you non believers

Its already happened, its called trains.

I say let them loose, see how much carnage they cause in the first month, thatll keep them of the road.

Im for one not sitting in a drivers seat for 9 hours waiting for the computer to crash. Nor will i be held responsible.

Conor:

UKtramp:

xichrisxi:
I bet you’re a fountain of knowledge.

In comparison to you, yes that is probably true. It is due to the fact that I have spent most of my professional life studying and working amongst intellects that turns you into one.

No it doesn’t. That statement isn’t remotely true and holds no weight. If that statement were true that close exposure to something transforms you into that something then it would follow that everyone who worked at a software company including the janitor should be able to code to a decent level.

And just to prove the point…

UKtramp:
However the bad news is and I have witnessed it first hand so I speak from my own experience that people being made redundant or unemployed from automation is a calculated risk that is factored into the equation.

You go and post that illiterate bollox. May I suggest that you stop trying to convince people ** you’re an intellect until you’ve learnt basic sentence structure and punctuation? It is quite hard to form an argument when people can’t understand what the point you are trying to make is ******due to poor grammar.

You are so dumb you do not practice what you preach, let me help you out a bit here.
*Bollix
** insert “that” here
*** use “cannot” here
****insert “which” here
***** replace “due” for “down”
The rest of it is pure drivel and unreadable. Please as I say pop back when you can both show me your qualifications (that I will) along with at least a sentence that does not contain this terrible grammar that you are displaying. You may think that you are a big fish in a small pond but I am a far bigger fish that comes from the ocean. I am sure the nodding donkey be along shortly to point you in the right direction of your grammar. He is the grammar king which is now leaving you in a pretty poor situation that you have placed yourself in. Is there anything that you might know? TTFN that is ta ta for now (Winnie the pooh)

With all these qualifications you allege you have and the time it took to get them all means you really must be gettin on a fair ole bit. Are you still fit enough to climb into the cab ar have you automated a way of getting in ? :unamused: :unamused: (and must have an extremely wide door to allow for your enormous head !!! )

raymundo:
With all these qualifications you allege you have and the time it took to get them all means you really must be gettin on a fair ole bit. Are you still fit enough to climb into the cab ar have you automated a way of getting in ? :unamused: :unamused: (and must have an extremely wide door to allow for your enormous head !!! )

Fitter than you probably are, and yes my qualifications did take a long time to obtain and your point is?

UKtramp:

raymundo:

Fitter than you probably are, and yes my qualifications did take a long time to obtain and your point is?

I know I’m not as fit as I could be but thats down to me getting paid a good bit for sitting on me arse most of the time doing absolutely sweet FA …

I was playing with you bud, I did not mean anything by my statement to you. Good answer though btw.

UKtramp:
I was playing with you bud, I did not mean anything by my statement to you. Good answer though btw.

Apology accepted …

Glasgow bus drivers will soon bugger up driverless cabs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UKtramp:

Conor:
You go and post that illiterate bollox. May I suggest that you stop trying to convince people you’re an intellect until you’ve learnt basic sentence structure and punctuation? It is quite hard to form an argument when people can’t understand what the point you are trying to make is due to poor grammar.

I do not need to convince anyone off here and especially the likes of yourself who is simply sat on Google trying to convince anyone who would be remotely interested. Please do not quote rubbish to me, save that for someone who may fall for your ridiculous comments. I have worked in automation for over a decade, you have read about it for 5 mins. You are quite frankly no authority on anything other than pure drivel. I hold professional qualifications as well as hold an NVQ level 5 which places me in the top 3% of the country. If you would like to go head to head with me in the qualification stakes then I am more than willing to post my qualifications on here for all to see. Let us just hope you can do the very same thing to prove me wrong. I also hold an HND in software engineering just to add to my credentials. Please tell us what you have that you think holds water. A spell checker and Google I suspect… Prove me wrong! Just had to edit this in whilst we are on the subject, I also hold teaching qualifications and used to lecture at University, I do not lie and can prove anything that I say. Over to you.

And I can fix your freezer…so there

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Wiretwister:
That’s not helpful to Mr Damon’s cause CC. It is consistent with a segment I saw on tv, about 2 months ago, where a Swiss insurance company had commissioned some tests with driverless vehicles. In one scenario an oncoming vehicle was being overtaken & the driverless vehicle had a few options in its programming. Swerving right onto the path not taken ( pedesrtians). Left not taken ( oncoming vehicle) result - a head-on collision with the overtaking vehicle & predicted fatalities. No braking option used for some reason not explained in the tv segment.

Do you realise how old that technology is now? They are way ahead of these problems now. I know everybody thinks I am having them on but as I said on another thread recently I am off to NZ where the very latest technology is about to be put to test.
When I return I will hopefully be able to divulge a bit more of what the future holds for trucks especially.

Dr Damon:

Wiretwister:
That’s not helpful to Mr Damon’s cause CC. It is consistent with a segment I saw on tv, about 2 months ago, where a Swiss insurance company had commissioned some tests with driverless vehicles. In one scenario an oncoming vehicle was being overtaken & the driverless vehicle had a few options in its programming. Swerving right onto the path not taken ( pedesrtians). Left not taken ( oncoming vehicle) result - a head-on collision with the overtaking vehicle & predicted fatalities. No braking option used for some reason not explained in the tv segment.

Do you realise how old that technology is now? They are way ahead of these problems now. I know everybody thinks I am having them on but as I said on another thread recently I am off to NZ where the very latest technology is about to be put to test.
When I return I will hopefully be able to divulge a bit more of what the future holds for trucks especially.

Out of interest, what’s your opinion on “the Chinese room” thought experiment?

Dr Damon:

Wiretwister:

Do you not realise how often updating software (modernising) causes unintended problems? How often do sensors fail? How many false alarms generated by said failed sensors? I don’t know how involved you are with the development of autonomous but, from your contribution on the boards, you seem to portray yourself as an “expert” in the field but have so far posted little that has confirmed that status for me. Talking with a small, unrepresentative, group of colleagues this week none of the drivers were anticipating driverless trucks being on the road before any of them retired ( youngest was mid 40s). Even more telling was to a man not one would have taken a role where they would be the human passenger in an autonomous truck. and for the most part that was because they did not have the confidence in either the technology or the corporate blame being passed down to the human when, and it will be when not if, the brown stuff hits the air circulation device.

Many years ago, and in another field entirely, I was in a project that was developing ways to install fibre optic bundles over lengths over 14 km. Now my involvement did not include the development of the materials used, the specing of the unique kit used for installation rather than some of the practical application of the kit and the techniques in the real world situations. I suspect that were I to claim to be an “expert” in fibre bundle installation I could fool some people for a while but in truth I was a small part in a large team. I suspect that you are in a similar situation. I can just hear your plea " trust me I’m a doctor" well I don’t. I take a more cynical/sceptical view based on to many years of wild expectations dying the death when reality gets involved. Remember the Sinclair C5?

Enjoy your jolly in New Zealand.

Wiretwister:

Dr Damon:

Wiretwister:

Do you not realise how often updating software (modernising) causes unintended problems?

Reminds me of my time working in the IT department of a major Pensions and insurance company. The dreaded call of “back out the changes” heard on Monday mornings when they find the major upgrade installed over the weekend had caused unforeseen problems with the rest of the system, despite months of testing, then user acceptance testing and more checks.

I suppose in their defence they were often trying to “bolt” 21st century systems onto programs written in the 70’s, I used to have to make changes to the database structure of some of the programs, they were so old that one false move would destroy them and the pension records they held, leading to months of recovery work by people who understood things like COBOL and fortran, I used to double check my work then check again before I hit enter with my eyes closed. :laughing:

anytime i read dr d and uktramp postings,then the phrase ( if you cant dazzle them with brilliance,the baffle them with bullcrap) springs to mind…this thought springs up simultaneously with ( troll alert)

dieseldog999:
anytime i read dr d and uktramp postings,then the phrase ( if you cant dazzle them with brilliance,the baffle them with bullcrap) springs to mind…this thought springs up simultaneously with ( troll alert)

I cannot understand the mentality of someone who knows something someone else doesn’t, then it is merely bull in their eyes or you are a troll. Using the same mentality, every University graduate must be calling his lecturer a troll at some point. If Dr Damien is involved in some way with this project then I think he must know more than we know, not a troll or bull, he has said nothing to make me think anything other than he is involved with a project that is working on this subject. If he isn’t then he has certainly fooled me but for what gain?

UKtramp:
If Dr Damien

?[/ quote]

Freudian slip?

UKtramp:

Conor:
I hold professional qualifications as well as hold an NVQ level 5 which places me in the top 3% of the country.

Wow NVQ Level 5? I just went for a BEng (Hons) Electronics Engineering degree instead.

UKtramp:

dieseldog999:

I cannot understand the mentality of someone who knows something someone else doesn’t, then it is merely bull in their eyes or you are a troll. Using the same mentality, every University graduate must be calling his lecturer a troll at some point. If Dr Damien is involved in some way with this project then I think he must know more than we know, not a troll or bull, he has said nothing to make me think anything other than he is involved with a project that is working on this subject. If he isn’t then he has certainly fooled me but for what gain?

The thing is, I’m struggling to remember anything he’s written that supports what he’s saying. Fair enough, he’s involved in the development of this tech, I’ll take that on face value. Fair enough, he knows more about the subject than me, I’ll take that on face value too. But there comes a time when “you’re wrong, you’ll have to trust me” isn’t good enough.

Captain Caveman 76:

UKtramp:

dieseldog999:

The thing is, I’m struggling to remember anything he’s written that supports what he’s saying. Fair enough, he’s involved in the development of this tech, I’ll take that on face value. Fair enough, he knows more about the subject than me, I’ll take that on face value too. But there comes a time when “you’re wrong, you’ll have to trust me” isn’t good enough.

Why isn’t it? Why would he say it if it isn’t true? He isn’t putting himself on a podium nor does he know anyone on here as a colleague. You can hardly show off on a forum to people who you do not know or cannot see you, I take him seriously on his word as he like me has nothing to gain from him saying it. I told everyone and showed my qualification in refrigeration but does it matter, I still get told I am not a fridge man but does that affect me? Not one little bit, I don’t care in the slightest as my life continues and I gain nothing or lose anything. Conor says he has an honours degree, would it make any difference to anyone on here if he has? Not in the slightest as he talks rubbish. You can get degrees from the OU sat at home nowadays. I take people as I find them and believe what they say unless they say things that I know is wrong and that sort of allows me to make up my mind, Dr Damen has said nothing to make me think otherwise about him.

Conor:

UKtramp:

Conor:
I hold professional qualifications as well as hold an NVQ level 5 which places me in the top 3% of the country.

Wow NVQ Level 5? I just went for a BEng (Hons) Electronics Engineering degree instead.

Well don’t beat yourself up over it, we cannot all get real qualifications that mean something.