A little reading for all you non believers

UKtramp:
Dr Damen has said nothing to make me think otherwise about him.

The bit that I don’t get is why would any of the nerds involved in this insidious stitch up expect to find a warm welcome or friendly interest for their agenda on a site that’s for human drivers.Mostly dependent on the long term future of the trade,not bleedin robots.Not to mention those of us who just like driving whether paid or not.Or do these deluded loons think that drivers are all turkeys happily voting for Christmas in supporting it.

On that note he seems to want to avoid the question does he agree with freedom of choice in the implementation and use of this technology ?.

Or as I suspect is that agenda all about compulsion,obviously all for their own selfish aims and financial gain at others’ expense.In which case the Luddites were right but just on the wrong issue at the wrong time. :imp:

UKtramp:
Why isn’t it? Why would he say it if it isn’t true? He isn’t putting himself on a podium nor does he know anyone on here as a colleague. You can hardly show off on a forum to people who you do not know or cannot see you, I take him seriously on his word as he like me has nothing to gain from him saying it. I told everyone and showed my qualification in refrigeration but does it matter, I still get told I am not a fridge man but does that affect me? Not one little bit, I don’t care in the slightest as my life continues and I gain nothing or lose anything. Conor says he has an honours degree, would it make any difference to anyone on here if he has? Not in the slightest as he talks rubbish. You can get degrees from the OU sat at home nowadays. I take people as I find them and believe what they say unless they say things that I know is wrong and that sort of allows me to make up my mind, Dr Damen has said nothing to make me think otherwise about him.

I have no reason to disbelieve that Damon is developing driverless vehicles, just like I have no reason to disbelieve you’re a refrigeration engineer. Nor do I disbelieve the guy who claims to be a pilot or the guy who claims to work on boats or the myriad of people on here who claim to be truckers (not easy with some of them). My own story is as unbelievable as any other and I expect it to be taken on face value.

My issue with Damon is he tells you you’re wrong, but won’t explain why. “Because you are” doesn’t cut it, “you wouldn’t understand” is just insulting (not necessarily his words, but certainly my interpretation of them). When counter points are posted to the articles he posts, he ignores them. In my eyes, that just loses him credibility.

Do I think he cares what I think? Almost certainly not, but unless he starts to post actual information, I’m going to stop caring what he says. Maybe when he comes back from New Zealand he’ll share a bit more. But I’ll not hold my breath, he didn’t tell us how long he was going for.

Captain Caveman 76:
I have no reason to disbelieve that Damon is developing driverless vehicles, just like I have no reason to disbelieve you’re a refrigeration engineer. Nor do I disbelieve the guy who claims to be a pilot or the guy who claims to work on boats or the myriad of people on here who claim to be truckers (not easy with some of them). My own story is as unbelievable as any other and I expect it to be taken on face value.

My issue with Damon is he tells you you’re wrong, but won’t explain why. “Because you are” doesn’t cut it, “you wouldn’t understand” is just insulting (not necessarily his words, but certainly my interpretation of them). When counter points are posted to the articles he posts, he ignores them. In my eyes, that just loses him credibility.

Do I think he cares what I think? Almost certainly not, but unless he starts to post actual information, I’m going to stop caring what he says. Maybe when he comes back from New Zealand he’ll share a bit more. But I’ll not hold my breath, he didn’t tell us how long he was going for.

May be a holiday? He didn’t say but like I say, it is quite obvious to me when people lie about what they claim to be, you and everyone else who is a driver on here knows full well who the ones who claim to be a driver have never sat in a truck by what they say. Same applies to those who profess to do other things. I see little gain in claiming to be something you are not on this forum but for some reason there are those types on here, mental illness perhaps, just Dr Damien has not come across that way to me, if he turns out to be a lunatic then he fooled me, what he would get from that is beyond my reasoning.

Captain Caveman 76:

UKtramp:
Why isn’t it? Why would he say it if it isn’t true? He isn’t putting himself on a podium nor does he know anyone on here as a colleague. You can hardly show off on a forum to people who you do not know or cannot see you, I take him seriously on his word as he like me has nothing to gain from him saying it. I told everyone and showed my qualification in refrigeration but does it matter, I still get told I am not a fridge man but does that affect me? Not one little bit, I don’t care in the slightest as my life continues and I gain nothing or lose anything. Conor says he has an honours degree, would it make any difference to anyone on here if he has? Not in the slightest as he talks rubbish. You can get degrees from the OU sat at home nowadays. I take people as I find them and believe what they say unless they say things that I know is wrong and that sort of allows me to make up my mind, Dr Damen has said nothing to make me think otherwise about him.

I think youre absolutely correct here. One other issue though is distrust of someone giving it the "Im an expert, trust me" bit.
If we decide someone is bull-■■■■■■■■ couldnt we be tempted to disbelieve EVERYTHING they say, when their statements could be true? Some of Dr.Ds stuff seems correct, but with no references, as you say Cavey, it`s not very valuable is it?

Trust me, that`s all correct. I speed read a magazine article on psychology in a waiting room once. :unamused:

Deutsche Post DHL. The delivery service is looking to deploy a pilot fleet with the current Drive PX in 2018. The idea is to have a car that is able to shadow its delivery people as they drop off packages. A driver could get out of the truck or van with a few packages for a block and when they are finished, the vehicle will be waiting for them outside the last house.

My milkman used to do that - he had a horse and cart…:slight_smile:

Santa:

Deutsche Post DHL. The delivery service is looking to deploy a pilot fleet with the current Drive PX in 2018. The idea is to have a car that is able to shadow its delivery people as they drop off packages. A driver could get out of the truck or van with a few packages for a block and when they are finished, the vehicle will be waiting for them outside the last house.

I’d start with the furthest deliveries first working my way back to where I’d first parked it just to see how it gets on with having to find somewhere to turn round and making the turn. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Santa:

Excellent response :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Just caught up with the recent comments on this thread and would like to say thanks to UK T for believing what I say is true.

I am NOT a troll as a lot seem to think and yes I have an input into the future of cars and trucks but certainly do not class myself as an expert.
There are a lot of far more clever people than me involved although most of them have never driven a truck.There are only six of us with varied truck experience.

CC a bit disappointed with you. When have I ever said you were wrong and answered saying you would not understand?

Automation in cars, not in trucks for a very very long time, that is to say they may drive themselves one day, thats when all the roads in the uk have to be dug up, to accomodate, then when they reach the destination, whose gonna book em in, whose gonna pull back the curtains, strap, un strap, reverse on the bay, get the notes signed, so much automation to take over from a manual worker/driver…thats without someone driving into one, or having to take evasive action, is that built in too, are breakdowns in the middle lane taken care of, or blowouts/punctures, who phones for help…so many questions, but at least the robot wont keep getting calls to ask how long ya gonna be…we have automation on trains to a degree, but at airports, and on rails where they cant do much harm…but on the M25…M1…M6 in rush hour…i dont think so…for many years to come. thats my take on it…as for replacing drivers…imagine if they did…less taxes to come in, more money to be paid out in dole money and other benefits, or will that be abolished too…leading to a law breaking society to survive…

Can you imagine the outcry if somebody suggest automated trains, i cant see anything simpler, no steering, nobody to get in your way, cant see the need for a body, but strangely, total silence
Or am i missing something.

trains would be the obvious one to go for first…ie you’re not allowed on a railway, it’s not a public place and as you say they’re on ■■■■■■ rails!

nahh lets just fire an automated death machine out on the road amongst the general public!

the reason you hear all this ‘trucks wil be automated within the next decade’ etc is because the companies who make them want to put that kind of message out…what will actually happen will be slightly different I’d imagine!

Juddian:
Yawn.
You can’t have a 5 minute conversation on a modern mobile without the bloody signal vanishing.

Total Recall was science fiction not a bloody documentary.

The response probably represents pretty much how we’d react in THIS day and age, I’d argue. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Warning: Video contains Arnold Schwarzenegger Vocabulary Set)

daffyd:
trains would be the obvious one to go for first…ie you’re not allowed on a railway, it’s not a public place and as you say they’re on [zb] rails!

nahh lets just fire an automated death machine out on the road amongst the general public!

the reason you hear all this ‘trucks wil be automated within the next decade’ etc is because the companies who make them want to put that kind of message out…what will actually happen will be slightly different I’d imagine!

Yes you imagine correctly Truckyboy.
Everybody thinks along the same lines as you but try thinking out of the box because in reality transport will not be anything like it is now.

And yes it will all transpire in the next decade for sure.
I wish I could say more and I probably could but when I return from NZ I hope to be able to submit some proof for all you doubters.

With all due respect Doctor, ■■■■■■■■! :wink: . Ten years my botty, they’ll still be arguing over the Brexit repayment in ten years never mind driverless bloody lorries!

Dr Damon:

daffyd:
trains would be the obvious one to go for first…ie you’re not allowed on a railway, it’s not a public place and as you say they’re on [zb] rails!

Everybody thinks along the same lines as you but try thinking out of the box because in reality transport will not be anything like it is now.

I wish I could say more and I probably could but when I return from NZ I hope to be able to submit some proof for all you doubters.

mmmhmm, ‘everyone’ thinks like me…they’re wrong, and I’d definitely believe any ‘proof’ that you ‘submit’. Sounds plausible.

Dr Damon:

You are mistaken there Damon. I think the perceived problems truckyboy sees at delivery points are resolved with todays technology quite easily, and with more than 1 option in most cases. Let me expand a little.

Parking on a bay:

1. Laser guide lines followed by a sensor in the vehicle under the control of the onboard processor.
  2. Vehicle drives onto a platform that is on rails which is taken to the required point. Bit like baggage handling at an airport.
  3. The vehicle is positioned at a prescribed point and the dock goes to the vehicle. Like an airbridge used for passenger boarding aircraft.

Opening doors/curtain/load restraint:

1. Hydraulic/pneumatic doors. Much like bus passenger doors but rotate around the rear corners.
  2. Roll up/down/sideways driven by hydraulic/pneumatic/electric worm drive.

Booking in/checking stock:
Bar code on screens to identify load on arrival, individual cases pallets labelled likewise much as now.

The bigger issue I, and I suspect others, have is how the new technologies react/interact with the current.

Question for you directly Damon - How are autonomous trucks going to map their immediate surroundings? If using sensors how many, how will sensors conflicts be resolved?

Another question for you directly Damon - What role are you currently performing in the project that you tell us you are involved with? You will of course understand that evasive and vague responses are not going to enhance your credibility and by extension relevance in these debates. You never did answer captain cavemans question about the Chinese room experiment, it would surprise me if you didn’t have an opinion on it?

My own take on the development is that until vehicles can talk to each other the human is the best, or least worse, guardian of our safety on the roads.

Wiretwister:

Dr Damon:

You are mistaken there Damon. I think the perceived problems truckyboy sees at delivery points are resolved with todays technology quite easily, and with more than 1 option in most cases. Let me expand a little.

Parking on a bay:

1. Laser guide lines followed by a sensor in the vehicle under the control of the onboard processor.
  2. Vehicle drives onto a platform that is on rails which is taken to the required point. Bit like baggage handling at an airport.
  3. The vehicle is positioned at a prescribed point and the dock goes to the vehicle. Like an airbridge used for passenger boarding aircraft.

1. Hydraulic/pneumatic doors. Much like bus passenger doors but rotate around the rear corners.

Bar code on screens to identify load on arrival, individual cases pallets labelled likewise much as now.

The bigger issue I, and I suspect others, have is how the new technologies react/interact with the current.

Question for you directly Damon - How are autonomous trucks going to map their immediate surroundings? If using sensors how many, how will sensors conflicts be resolved?

Another question for you directly Damon - What role are you currently performing in the project that you tell us you are involved with? You will of course understand that evasive and vague responses are not going to enhance your credibility and by extension relevance in these debates. You never did answer captain cavemans question about the Chinese room experiment, it would surprise me if you didn’t have an opinion on it?

My own take on the development is that until vehicles can talk to each other the human is the best, or least worse, guardian of our safety on the roads.

No I am not mistaken wiretwister.
All you non believers are mistaken though.
Also I can assure you vehicles will not have to talk to each other (although that is actually possible) You along with most and perfectly understandable will be surprised how your thought process is so wrong.
When I get back from NZ and I have more spare time I will hopefully reveal some of the main facts.

Wiretwister:

Dr Damon:

Parking on a bay:

All of this and when and where are you conducting these tests in my adoptive homeland so I know to avoid/mess with it, in the name of science.

Andie you are kidding me?
Do you not keep up with current affairs in your country?
I would think 99% of Kiwis know about the testing etc. although like most know few details about the progress and about the final outcome.

Anyway unfortunately our trip has now been delayed till the New Year ( yanks fault ) but if you do a little research you may learn something.

Dr Damon:
Andie you are kidding me?
Do you not keep up with current affairs in your country?
I would think 99% of Kiwis know about the testing etc. although like most know few details about the progress and about the final outcome.

Anyway unfortunately our trip has now been delayed till the New Year ( yanks fault ) but if you do a little research you may learn something.

Won’t mummy let you out to play :unamused: YAWN