A few pics

Seeing Keith’s post about LAD Leylands prompted me to drag out some photos of the trucks I drove over my fifteen years as a full time driver. Looking at the quality I wish I had the cameras I use now for T&D as I’d love to have taken some better pics, but that’s life. Hope they’re of interest.

Here are the first trucks I ever drove for a living when I got my license back in 1986. The 1969 Albion was already a bit of an oldie even then, and was dead slow, thanks to its 120hp Leyland 401 motor. Years previously my dad had thought about putting the more powerful 410 turbo motor in her but decided that the brakes weren’t up to it - he was probably right! The Dodge Commando was bought secondhand as a chassis cab, having been a skip loader with Mowlem. I think my old man bought it outright for £1800, and then spent another couple of grand putting a new steel tipper body and Edbro tipping gear on it. It was fairly slow on the hills, thanks to a Perkins 6354 motor (about 140hp) but the gearing was superb with an Eaton two speed rear axle giving it 12 gears in total. Would go as fast as you wanted, but considering we stuck to local work that didn’t really matter too much. You can see another Dodge to the right: that ended up being robbed for parts to keep GAF going until the late 90’s.

During my time with my dad I became a real pain in the neck as I’d see a lot of drivers I knew with newer trucks than we had, and they were doing distance work while I was stuck on muddy building sites most of the time. I got my license at 18 through the Young Drivers Scheme but once I reached 21 I left the family business (much to dad’s relief) and got a job on plant and portacabin movement with Selwood Plant. The Merc 1617 was one of the most comfortable trucks I’ve ever driven for a living, even if the motor would have struggled to pull granny off the proverbial chamber pot! To make things worse we used a low loader drawbar trailer when I had to make trips up to Eastleigh to collect new machines or cabins - then it became painfully slow. The only other drawback with the 1617 was the day cab as I started doing one or two nights away each week. Ended up with three settee cushions across the seat and engine tunnel at night as I usually couldn’t be bothered hunting round for digs. The management wasn’t too keen on all the decoration but during the 80s that was the kind of thing drivers did - now they get murals and alloy wheels.
The job itself was brilliant, always different, and often very challenging as the HMF crane brought us a lot of machinery movements. Eventually we had to buy a second truck to cover the plant deliveries while I stuck with cabin and machinery transport. Would probably still be there now if the men in suits hadn’t turned up one morning to lay us all off …

When Selwood suddenly pulled out of Cornwall I had to do the rounds of the local firms, briefly working for Westfield as a relief driver. This was an eye opener as until that moment I’d been used to one lorry one driver but at Westfield we were constantly changing trucks, usually at New Covent Garden or Portishead. At this time the firm had just two artics, with lift axle six wheeler rigids being the most popular set up. I think this pic was taken outside of a Chase Web printers factory which was the main work at that period. I’m looking pretty knackered, which wasn’t unusual during my time there.

Strensham services in the early nineties. This was, and probably still is, a popular stop with the boys from West Cornwall as it’s four and a bit hours from home - Michaelwood services was normally a bit of a stretch for those of us from Redruth.
This was taken en route to Berrymans glass recycling in South Kirby, Yorks, on a typical Sunday afternoon when I worked for Robert Barnard who had been a mate of my father since the early 60s. We’d do two trips to Berrymans a week, with a load of coal back home each time and then Friday spent running tin ore from South Crofty mine. My truck is on the left, while the freshly painted 376 SCV had yet to be signwritten. In the background you can see an F10, a P113, and a MAN F90; typical trucks of the period.

Another pic of the 113, this time tipping through the grain hatch on a building site somewhere near London I believe.

Another pic from the early to mid nineties. I drove this F12 Globey to Germany on a couple of occasions, taking china clay out and backloading for a well known freight forwarder out that way (working for a diesel money rate). The old Volvo had seen its best days with its previous owners - recognise the colours? - and was fairly rattly by the time my boss got hold of it. It was a short wheelbase and a real handfull on wet autoroutes. Thankfully I only drove it a couple of weeks while my regular truck, a newer MAN 370, was being MOT’d. Missed the big cab though when I went back into the standard height MAN.

One of several MANs I drove on continental work for Carn Distribution, another Redruth based firm. I hated driving plain white trucks but the boss preferred them as you could work for anyone. The truck was parked in Hamburg in this shot, backloading there after being weekended at Rostock (the glamour of distance work!) If you look closely you can see the St Piran flag inside the cab which at least told those in the know where the truck was from even if we had nothing on the outside.

I moved up to London in the mid-nineties and ended up working for Merlin Distribution at Hoddesdon on the Sainsburys contract. Some people run down supermarket work but it really honed my manoeuvring skills thanks to the narrow London shop accesses and plenty of time shunting trailers into the Pindar Rd warehouse where we used to put them side by side for loading at night (if you’ve been there you’ll know that this isn’t an easy task). When I started we had Daf 2500 units, then ERF EC10s and finally the beloved Foden 4000 with the Cat C10 rated at 325hp. Unusually these units had Fuller Roadranger boxes which I really enjoyed using, even if most of the clutch brakes were worn out and they grated when you engaged a gear from standstill. T&D editor Dave Young also worked at Hoddesdon, but that was well before I arrived.

After four years living in London I had the urge to move back home to Cornwall at the end of the last millennium, and wound up getting a job with general haulage firm R&R. I’d spent a fortnight with them a few years earlier, driving a flat top F12 when the company was still called Rowe and Co. and had tilts. Anyone who’s done Italian work will recognise their colours but luckily for me I stayed in the UK with this FL10. The missus took the photo, at Windy Ridge truckstop on the way back homewards. With her usual French priorities she remembers that the food was very good - hope it’s still the same today.

Another pic from my time on R&R with an FH12. Had to go to the Reading Festival to collect this load of plastic portaloos. They were a swine to tie down as there were no lashing eyes anywhere. The straps were a ‘just in case’ measure, didn’t look very smart but they all stayed put. Would have probably been quicker to throw a flysheet over them but after a three day festival some were filthy so didn’t want to mess up my sheets. A mate of mine bought the firm last year and from what I see he still uses flats so that he rarely has to turn down a load.
[/img]

good pics craig :smiley:

Craig,
Nice pictures. Bring back lots of memories, not just for you. Seeing the LAD Albion alongside the Dodge reminded me of an LAD Kew Dodge I had in the 60s. It had the Perkins 6354 with twin speed axle. With a 28ft 4-in-line flat trailer I used to roar down the fast lane of the M1 at 75mph fully freighted! Can’t remember the gross but I suppose about 12 tons of asphalt blocks on board. And all that was legal in those days.
By the way as I said a while back, we are going to England taking advantage of the cheap (£50A/R) coupled with another free ticket on the Boulogne to Dover Speedferries service.
Will send you a pm but will be in Hautvillers for the night again at about 8pm on Wednesday the 19th Jan. If you are free and fancy another meal, we’ll be pleased to see you. Greyhound legs permitting, the wife will be with me this time, so maybe you want to bring yours as well.
Salut, David.

Some nice pic’s Craig 111 :smiley:

Craig nice wagons, esp with the St Pirans in there! I well recall your dads old Albion down around Redruth area, what happened to it? Dont tell me scrappy?

Cheers lads. Nope, the Albion didn’t go to the scrappers, my ol’ man kept it for a few years and eventually it was sold to a guy who drives a loading shovel at one of the china clay works. He restored it fairly well and it did the rounds at a few shows. I did hear however that it’s been stood still outside for the past 2 years, so maybe he got bored with it??

Great stuff Craig! Im envious everytime I see pics like these, if only i’d have had the gumption to carry a camera with me for all the years, I really like the old pics of working motors. Nice Albion, allways liked the look of them, I once drove a 6 wheel tipper, it was a real art to get quickly from 1st to second on the tip before it ground to a halt! Nice stuff M8!

Craig 111:
Cheers lads. Nope, the Albion didn’t go to the scrappers, my ol’ man kept it for a few years and eventually it was sold to a guy who drives a loading shovel at one of the china clay works. He restored it fairly well and it did the rounds at a few shows. I did hear however that it’s been stood still outside for the past 2 years, so maybe he got bored with it??

Get your wallet out then !!

Mal:
Great stuff Craig! Im envious everytime I see pics like these, if only i’d have had the gumption to carry a camera with me for all the years, !

You and me both Mal. I once did decide to and set off on the first run for Bulkliners of Beeston Nottingham with a Mk 1 Atki and 40’ box. Just before the turn off to Upper Heyford USAF base 2 yanks in an ■■■■■■ van cut right across in front of me and that heavy solid crash bar on the Atki skewered the van and pushed it bobbing up and down sideways onto the verge. So there I was with my Polaroid taking pics from all angles and guess what? Lost them over the years and never took the camera again. How daft is that?
BTW, the Yanks were shaken and a little stirred and the driver wondered why everyone was heading for the hills when he lit up leaning against the ruptured filler pipe of the petrol tank! Him and his mate got hauled off to the pokey by the base police who on the other hand kept asking me if I was OK. Our cops turned up later and detained me for an hour taking a statement, and then needed a push start because they’d left all their pretty lights on the whole time :laughing:

Salut, David.

Blimey Dave, Bulkliners, theres a name from the past, they aint still going are they? If I remember right the motors were like a buff colour. Yeah, you wouldve had even more numerous and varied pics than me with all your years. Im having my quaretr century in artics anniversary sept this year, and all ive got is a knackered memory and a few old photo’s to mark those years. Ive got a fair few from last year, when the penny dropped about cameras ect, but the motors and the sights seem blander these days. Ah well, thats life eh, or ce la vie as you frogs say! :wink: :smiley:

Mal:
Blimey Dave, Bulkliners, theres a name from the past, they aint still going are they? If I remember right the motors were like a buff colour.

Yes, a sort of sickly pale orange, but at the time of the incident in question, they had just been set up to take advantage of the new Freightliner terminal at Beeston and had taken over the old established local firm of Phillip Smith. PS was contracted to Beeston Boiler, very heavy manual work even if you had a crane fitted and their colours were 2 tone brown. Excreta brown, I think the technical term is. :blush: Anyway this Mk 1 they gave me was from the PS fleet. The 2 firms were run as seperate concerns from the same office, the 2 TMs facing each other. I went for the interview and it proceeded with me facing Frank Parker, unbeknownst to me the PS TM. When he asked if I was fit and strong enough to handle these heavy boiler sections a look of horror must have spread across my face as the truth dawned and Frank said to Tony Whatsisname ‘I think this is one for you’. Whereupon I turned my chair through 45 degrees and was then interviewed for the container job. A Lucky escape :open_mouth:
No. they are not still going, were taken over by NCC (National Carbonising Co) based opposite the old Ollerton pit and later phased out along with Freightliners.
Although set up to feed the terminal with boxes they were soon by-passing the trains and running up and down to London themselves. For one period, not when I was with them, they ranged as far as Poland!
If I ever find that photo of a dirty brown truck and shocked Yank, I’ll post it (just to stay on thread, sorry Craig), but don’t hold your collective breaths.
Salut, David.

Nice pics Craig,almost didn’t recognise you with hair :wink: :wink: :wink:

Craig cant remember if I asked did you do your young drivers with CTT? If so what year?

double post donkey :blush:

Yep Steve, did my YDS with Cornwall Transport Training in '85-'86, up at Holmbush.

BTW check you PMs, maybe something to interest you …

Craig - ah you were the year before me… got ur PM , aaaahhh!!!

KW:

Bloomin’ cheek :laughing:

Can’t all look like the charmer below :wink: :wink:

Craig 111:

KW:

Bloomin’ cheek :laughing:

Can’t all look like the charmer below :wink: :wink:

Ah! Those were the day’s :cry: :cry: :cry: :unamused:

Brilliant pics Craig.

Did you know R&R have been bought out by Conway Baileys? About 12mths ago. Great to see some Cornish based firms on here.

John

Ok lads what was the name of the firm from Newlyn who had the yellow Foden 8 leggers that used to steam up to London with fish on board.? Very clean looking motors, always in a big hurry to get the catch to market first. Gardener engines I think - must have been more than 180 6lxb’s surely?