A few pics

You’re referring to Sutton’s from Newlyn. They ran AEC Mammoth Majors before switching to Fodens - I think the first ones were S80s. Phil Llewellyn did a Long Distance Diary with them in TRUCK magazine.

The Fodens did indeed have 6LXBs fitted, with the later replacements having 6LXCs then 6LXCTs. Even with the turbo motors fitted, the Fodens would’ve only just have the beating of the Ergo Mammoth Majors that preceeded them (fitted with the AV760s @ 226 bhp)

I believe Corgi have done a model of a Sutton Mammoth Major Mk V.

Hey John, thought you might like some of those. Yep, I knew that Mark Bailey bought R&R - Baileys was the first company I drove an artic for, back when they had those orange twinsteer Roadtrains with the 14 litre ■■■■■■■ and the phoenix on the front. Wish I got a pic of one of those as they were real eyecatchers (not that there’s anything wrong with Dave Phillips’ trucks either).
Cheers, Craig

Craig

I see one of Bailey’s ERFs (orange with a gold phoenix under the windscreen)up here in Lancashire at least once a week. They run in & out of W & J Hunters at Tarleton

Very likely Mark, they go everywhere, but especially produce/market related. Like you say they’ve got some ERFs but now the XFs are taking over, and they’re just plain orange so less easy to spot. Still miss those high datum Roadtrains :sunglasses:

Craig some brilliant pics there. Conway Baileys sometimes pull for my firm, Hargrave International, on the Sainsburys contract we have and I see there trucks around Spalding quite a lot.