A close call that really was a close call

I was sat at 40 in my empty tipper when this ■■■■ went for it, he overtook 3 in a row and kept going when he got to me.

youtube.com/watch?v=vt9ch5aaxYM

I.ve seen worse

Prepare yourself matey :unamused: you are going to get stick

1. Not anticipating stupid overtakes
  2. Not reducing speed (you did look in your mirror?)
  3. Bad resolution on camera
  4. Another - youtube wannabe
  5. Are you bored
  6. Happens every day - get over it
  7. Dri-diddly-iver should keep his nose out :wink:

it`s a better camera than mine :grimacing: :laughing: :laughing:
what do you use ? :unamused:

chaversdad:
I.ve seen worse

+1 even worse when the touch :sunglasses:

Looks okay to me, didn’t seem to be any slowing down or swerving and no contact. I’ve done worse.

trux:
it`s a better camera than mine :grimacing: :laughing: :laughing:
what do you use ? :unamused:

Even a Brownie box camera is better than yours Trux :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Im going to go against the grain here but it looked about as bad as it can get without causing an accident to me.
Yes maybe the OP could have slowed down. Im sure he would have if he had seen him. But I think the moron in the car is to blame here.
The only problem I have with it is its yet another dashcam posting of what will,in the grand scheme of things,be a non event. I hope we’re not gonna be subjected to everybody with a dash cam posting “look at this idiot here” videos. Everyone makes bad judgement calls. Even people with dashcams,although some think they are saints

To be fair this is better than most of the footage recently but from a pro / vocational driver standards you didn’t ease off noticably to help the car out and have posted the dashcam footage on youtube like a big girl.

On the plus side you didn’t accelerate and are below 50mph on S/C which puts you at a higher standard than most other tipper drivers.
I will give you 8/10 for this, keep up the good work but room for improvement… :wink:

Good quality camera btw. I would question as to why the op should slow down regardless of whether or not he’d seen the muppet overtaking? I certainly wouldn’t as the death of the car driver would be of absolutely no consequence to me at all, apart from the fact that his/her demise would mean overtime for me as I filled in the subsequent paperwork. Hey ho; every cloud etc…

the maoster:
I would question as to why the op should slow down regardless of whether or not he’d seen the muppet overtaking?

Rule 168 in the Highway Code would be a good starting point even for a novice driver. Those with slightly more advanced abilities or aspirations (dare I say it “professional drivers”) will of course be aware that there’s rather more cost (not just to the business) involved than an extra hour’s overtime while sorting out the inevitable paperwork…

I save more lives per year than a top of the tree heart surgeon Roymondo. I save them day in and day out from their own stupidity, but there comes a point that regardless of whether or not you are a “professional” you have to ask yourself “shouldn’t Darwinism take precedent?”

the maoster:
I certainly wouldn’t as the death of the car driver would be of absolutely no consequence to me at all, apart from the fact that his/her demise would mean overtime for me as I filled in the subsequent paperwork. Hey ho; every cloud etc…

In the event of an accident,especially one involving a fatality,if it is determined you could have played a part in avoiding it then you can be charged.
However,I’ll assume you have tongue in cheek when posting here! :laughing:

the maoster:
you have to ask yourself “shouldn’t Darwinism take precedent?”

lol :laughing:

As someone who goes up and down the A17 from Kings Lynn to Newark nearly every day, I see things like that at least 5 or 6 times a day.

It doesn’t make it right thou.

40? In a tipper? Snigger Snigger.

i had 1 yesterday morning in a 15 plate merc cut me off at the hellaby ind est roundabout, rear driverside quarter of the merc is wrecked but they didnt stop they just carried on, step and bumper knackerd on me daf but it all on camera (company cameras so dont have access too the footage) police notified and handed footage. truck fixed and ready for monday morning again

Just an observation here, don’t shoot me…

We are taught/instructed as professional drivers (as a guideline) to check our mirrors, alternatively around every 7 seconds so check right, wait 7 seconds and check left, wait 7 seconds, check right so that would give around 15 to 20 seconds per cycle including the 1 second you are actually looking in the mirror etc.

Just how long does it take for a much faster car to pass 3 vehicles travelling at 40mph ?

It’s all very well saying that the overtaker can take care of himself and you have no responsibility towards him, but what about the poor people coming the other way?

unless the description of the video has “internal organs on the pavement” and/or “brains splattered across the windshield” I think I won’t bother watching these dashcam dramas anymore

Kaistar:
Just an observation here, don’t shoot me…

We are taught/instructed as professional drivers (as a guideline) to check our mirrors, alternatively around every 7 seconds so check right, wait 7 seconds and check left, wait 7 seconds, check right so that would give around 15 to 20 seconds per cycle including the 1 second you are actually looking in the mirror etc.

Just how long does it take for a much faster car to pass 3 vehicles travelling at 40mph ?

In my opinion this is only taught to pass the test, in the real world mirror checking becomes second nature and random rather than set intervals. Sometimes road conditions make mirror checking not a priority as there more shenanigans possible in front.

Although i have heard that some elite drivers have such good peripheral vision that mirror checking is happeneing all the time as well as regular but random more focused checks and any anomoly (overtaking vehicle / emergency vehicle etc) will be instincitely be picked up early and get more attention.

Cause checking mirrors can be nothing more than a flick of the eyeballs to a more pronounce head turn, the trick is not just check but to see and look as well, perhaps that motor joining from behind on the sliproad has changed his mind and wants to go for it and get in front of the naughty lorry whos going slower than they thought.

On my test my trainer had offset the mirror slightly as it was important to show the examiner I was looking rather than just flicking eyeballs that may not be picked up, did this for everyonne apparently so i aint special.