£20 fine for leaving your engine running

another stealth tax :unamused:

“Council officials will target lorries, buses and diesel cars”

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … ution.html

maga:
another stealth tax :unamused:

“Council officials will target lorries, buses and diesel cars”

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … ution.html

if the roads weren’t clogged up they wouldn’t be idling in traffic so I think it would back fire.

don’t you use MORE fuel starting a vehicle that idling ■■

So when there is traffic, is some goomba carrying a clipboard going to march down the line of traffic demanding people turn off their engines?

I’ve only had a quick look through the regulations, but as far as I can see they can only fine you if you don’t comply with a request from an authorised person to turn off the engine.

It could get interesting if they run round giving out fines to anyone they find parked with the engine idling.

tachograph:
I’ve only had a quick look through the regulations, but as far as I can see they can only fine you if you don’t comply with a request from an authorised person to turn off the engine.

It could get interesting if they run round giving out fines to anyone they find parked with the engine idling.

“Authorised person” eh? Like those plastic plods?

tachograph:

that’s the interesting part who is authorised and if you say sorry no can do my batteries are doggy and i’m going to get replacements but they insist Who pays for the fitter :grimacing:

Tipped in Cosham Friday morning came upto the level crossing on the high street theres a sign before the crossing “turn your engine off it pollutes and is illegal” but its outside the job centre and there was loads of spongers waiting to go in and plead poverty so I left it running.

Another way of conning money out of drivers

Or maybe a way of stopping those inconsiderate gits who sit there for ages with their engines running and the smoke getting thicker and thicker.

Buses are the worst, but trucks and taxis come a close second.

If your battery is dodgy - get a new one, don’t pollute my air.

Santa:
Or maybe a way of stopping those inconsiderate gits who sit there for ages with their engines running and the smoke getting thicker and thicker.Buses are the worst, but trucks and taxis come a close second.If your battery is dodgy - get a new one, don’t pollute my air.

holy Moses Santa! Sure you don’t believe that! Do you? :laughing: and the wind doesn’t blow any DIRTY air over LONDON? LEZ my arris! :unamused: let’s charge dumb motorists to BREATHE! :grimacing: that is all! Lol :sunglasses:

That pony & trap is getting closer every day.
Some people actually sat at a meeting and decided to do this :open_mouth:
I guess they will be the same individuals that weave yoghurt in their spare time. :unamused:

It could be better if they finally allow no fossil fueled vehicles but the petrobuisiness lobby won’t allow it.
It would be better if no lorries were allowed to this village ( s*tole london ) and everyone who wants to buy something would have to go outside of it to get it and then we could charge them congestion charge elsewhere.

nick2008:
don’t you use MORE fuel starting a vehicle that idling ■■

Not anymore, look at all the stop start cars there are, even motorbikes have stop start.

Daytrunker:
Tipped in Cosham Friday morning came upto the level crossing on the high street theres a sign before the crossing “turn your engine off it pollutes and is illegal”

That’s bloody rich of the rail network. You see their locos idling for ages in sidings and marshalling yards. I remember a coal train waiting to get called into Didcot Power station was in Steventon sidings for a good 2 or 3 hours on tickover.
Useless trivia; Did you know “blowing off” is in fact a railway term? Stop giggling at the back.
:laughing:

hey santa, who fines you for when your reindeers ■■■■ and cause greenhouse gas

The law covers all vehicles on public roads including buses, taxis and private cars. However it does not apply to vehicles moving slowly due to road works or congestion; vehicles stopped at traffic lights; vehicles under test or repair; or defrosting a windscreen.

It doesn’t seem to be them expecting you to turn your engine off every time you stop in a queue of traffic, but more aimed at those people who insist on sitting in a parked vehicle with the engine running.

There are other questions that need asking.

1. Despite years of an LEZ affecting hgv’s in London do they still have a problem with air quality?

Is it because the majority of the pollution is caused by old cars, that aren’t properly maintained and don’t ever go far enough to get the engine up to a proper temperature?

1. They’ve spent years persuading people to buy diesel cars, because they’re supposed to be more environmentally friendly than petrol, they’ve now decided they aren’t?
    A lot of people have spent a lot of money thinking they were helping the environment, only to be told they were wrong, its no wonder that people are cynical.

I hate this “stealth tax” phrase, you don’t have to pay it, if you don’t sit parked up idling, so how can it be a tax?
they’ve told you about it, so how is that Stealth?

I read about this today when some were complaining about Police cars idling with no one in them, their excuse was that with so much electrical gadgets, the batteries would run down quickly, so they are now fitting secondary back up batteries, dont it make you laugh what they do with our money, yet they are the very people who would park whilst ticketing you for running your engine, with their own one running in the background, who said theres a law for them and one for us :laughing: The officer in charge also said they their diesel cars use 1.5 pints of fuel per hour, now i know they are top of the range BMV, but that seems a lot of fuel to me, and as some bright spark worked it out at £140 grand a year :unamused: :unamused: Maybe they should take a trip to the USA where its normal for driver to run their engines day and night to either run the aircon or the heating system in the winter and when i was there courtesy of Trucknet, i asked a salesman in the MATS main hall how they were doing in the sales of Webasto, to which they replied, American bosses only spend if they can get some return on their investment, so i pointed out that the return would be in the fuel saving of not having to run the engines 24/7 yes he said, you know that, we know that, but bosses need a lot of convincing, maybe the price of fuel doesnt equate to the same values as ours.

Watched “mighty ships” on quest earlier the programme said "all the ships on the ocean produce 5 times more carbon emissions than all the planes and vehicles on the road put together " So a penalty for ticking over? I dont think so :open_mouth:

Cotswoldcrunch:

Daytrunker:
Tipped in Cosham Friday morning came upto the level crossing on the high street theres a sign before the crossing “turn your engine off it pollutes and is illegal”

That’s bloody rich of the rail network. You see their locos idling for ages in sidings and marshalling yards. I remember a coal train waiting to get called into Didcot Power station was in Steventon sidings for a good 2 or 3 hours on tickover.
Useless trivia; Did you know “blowing off” is in fact a railway term? Stop giggling at the back.
:laughing:

Most companies now have a switching off policy nowadays , it used to be the case that if you switched off back in the day, so I’m told by my dad , you might not get the beggar restarted. Hence things would be idling all night, especially in winter with dodgy batteries.

I’m sure soon enough they’ll have us switching the engines off on hills and coasting down to cut pollution.

With DPF’s and all the other guff in modern diesels i don’t see how idling 10 minutes keeping warm will make much difference.

Build RDCs outside the M25 and get Boris to buy a fleet of electric vans to take everything into the city. Job done lol