£20 fine for leaving your engine running

My car has stop start or Intelligent Stop and Go as Kia call it. Yes it stops and starts as designed but it does not save any full. What you save when the engine is not running is all squirted in to the engine when it restarts so no over all saving. Also it only shuts down 90 seconds or so and then will not shut down again until you have driven a 100 yards or so.

So Will you be fined because your engine is running because the requirements for it to shut down are not met? I look forward to seeing that one in court.

So are we going to get trucks that run on petrol now? Considering that diesel is the work of the devil according to those council idiots.

muckles:

The law covers all vehicles on public roads including buses, taxis and private cars. However it does not apply to vehicles moving slowly due to road works or congestion; vehicles stopped at traffic lights; vehicles under test or repair; or defrosting a windscreen.

It doesn’t seem to be them expecting you to turn your engine off every time you stop in a queue of traffic, but more aimed at those people who insist on sitting in a parked vehicle with the engine running.

There are other questions that need asking.

1. Despite years of an LEZ affecting hgv’s in London do they still have a problem with air quality?

Is it because the majority of the pollution is caused by old cars, that aren’t properly maintained and don’t ever go far enough to get the engine up to a proper temperature?

1. They’ve spent years persuading people to buy diesel cars, because they’re supposed to be more environmentally friendly than petrol, they’ve now decided they aren’t?
    A lot of people have spent a lot of money thinking they were helping the environment, only to be told they were wrong, its no wonder that people are cynical.

I hate this “stealth tax” phrase, you don’t have to pay it, if you don’t sit parked up idling, so how can it be a tax?
they’ve told you about it, so how is that Stealth?

As for whether there is still a problem, Boris certainly thinks so. Google ‘ULEZ’ and see the media reports it turns up. He delivered his ‘air quality manifesto’ last week and it’s all Euro 6 by 2020, more electric buses and so on.

Then regarding the facts and other points, I agree with you but you’ll never remove the ‘woe is me’, built-in truckers’ persecution complex which means they know best, all the time.

It has always been an offence to leave your engine running.I was fined for it about 40 years ago.
When you think about it in reality it is a pretty stupid thing to do anyway.

so please explain why anyone still delivers anything into that ■■■■■■■■■ let the ■■■■■■■ freeze and starve.

albion1971:
It has always been an offence to leave your engine running.I was fined for it about 40 years ago.

Are you sure about that ?

It’s always been an offence to leave the engine running while no-one was in the vehicle, but as far as I’m aware it’s only been an offence to leave an engine running while your in the vehicle since about 2002.

I could be wrong though :slight_smile:

tachograph:

albion1971:

It’s always been an offence to leave the engine running while no-one was in the vehicle, but as far as I’m aware it’s only been an offence to leave an engine running while your in the vehicle since about 2002.

Think its in the Wording …

Its an Offence to leave a vehicle with its engine running when left Un-attended .
you are using the engine as a power plant (PTO) for using some form of equipment … therefore you don’t need to be IN the vehicle but you need to be in attendance …

Chicane i am reporting you to the aged peoples police force for discrimination against Londoners, we do not deserve to starve ( most of us are anyway ) but to advocate stopping all deliveries would put us on par with a third world country, and possibly not have a government fit enough to govern…heaven forbid… :laughing: :laughing:

nick2008:

tachograph:

albion1971:

Think its in the Wording …

Its an Offence to leave a vehicle with its engine running when left Un-attended .
you are using the engine as a power plant (PTO) for using some form of equipment … therefore you don’t need to be IN the vehicle but you need to be in attendance …

You’re right and I stand corrected :smiley:

To be fair I said I could be wrong, so I got that bit right :wink:

Radar19:

tachograph:
I’ve only had a quick look through the regulations, but as far as I can see they can only fine you if you don’t comply with a request from an authorised person to turn off the engine.

It could get interesting if they run round giving out fines to anyone they find parked with the engine idling.

“Authorised person” eh? Like those plastic plods?

They can ■■■■ right off and that includes any copper too.

I’ve got it idling as I have the air-con at full blast.

1374_376301922496496_31702015_n.jpg

Ahhhhh Islington!!! Where even the buses do 30mph in their 20mph pedestrian safety zones which is the whole Borough it seems?
I’m so happy I got the hell out of London now! Full of foreign devils now! :laughing: