£120 OTS fine today

Was pulled this morning at around 11am by a bobby who followed me for 4 miles, Granted I was in the wrong but still…

Problem is I wasn’t entering the weight limit to deliver, I was cutting straight through to miss out a low bridge at Langwathby (13’6),
After the copper following me from the A686, via Skirwith, Culgaith and Temple Sowerby. Eventually pulling me just before joining the A66.

I was asked where I was going, I explained Kirkby Stephen,
Where from, Melmerby.

Then I was told that I have driven through a 7.5t weight limit, I explained i cant fit under the railway bridge at Langwathby as I am 14ft and there is no other way. Was handed a £120 fine and told if I am caught again, face the consequences.
I asked the fella if there was an alternative route around the low bridge for anything under 13’6 and was told yes, Via Hexham…

Well, gutted but I suppose I did wrong.

C10HOO:
Was handed a £120 fine and told if I am caught again, face the consequences.

What does that mean?

I’d bloody well fight that!

You were unfamiliar of this other route and by the time you realised you had entered a 7.5 limit, you felt stopping may cause an obstruction and be dangerous to other traffic, so decided it was safest to continue and learn your lesson not to go that way in future.

Boss is looking in to it

~ZB police
council should put up advisory diversion

You should have congratulated him on a job well done, catching a real criminal, its more than his colleagues in London can do. :smiley:

He could have gave you a bit of leeway.After all you were only taking that route for access as the other way wasn’t accessible for your vehicle.Bloody petty copper.

if there is a sign with access for loading unloading you cant be done for it

rb scooby:
if there is a sign with access for loading unloading you cant be done for it

from what the OP has posted, he was neither loading or unloading, just using it as a shortcut to avoid a low bridge, so, sorry, you are factually incorrect, and the OP can, and has been done for it

this is why PC Plod asked him where he was going and come from, the OP had no reason to be in the weight limit

it is a bit harsh though, he could have let you off with a warning

the diversion route is 80miles, Its difficult if you dont know the area but the route is Back down the A686 to Penrith from Langwathby, join the M6 north to Carlisle and come off at J43 A69, keep going through Haltwhistle until you reach Haydon Bridge, then turn for Alston on the other end of the A686, away over the tops and drop down via Hartside… Same way back too, 160mile round trip.

Light blue line is my route through Culgaith and Skirwith off the A66, I have been the diversion route before, nice road… :confused:

LoveCumbria.com!!! :laughing:

NIMBYS!!! :imp:

Ever trie going under the bridge with suspension right down? if its marked at 14 ft theres a chance its actually a couple of inches higher. Doesnt pay the fine I know but its an idea for another time, PS take a mate to watch you through.

JFC999:
Ever trie going under the bridge with suspension right down? if its marked at 14 ft theres a chance its actually a couple of inches higher. Doesnt pay the fine I know but its an idea for another time, PS take a mate to watch you through.

good idea in principle, but in reality, can land you with an even bigger fine and points on licence

you would be deliberately driving a vehicle under a bridge that is signed lower than the height of your vehicle

Not a good idea trying to sneak under the bridge,if you did have to bail out it’d be reverse,if you got traction up a short sharp hill,against oncoming mad motorbikers/caravaners,bit of a racetrack the A686,'one of the best driving roads’up Hartside apparently,mind you the bridge out of the village ain’t much better,single carriageway Bailey bridge!from the late sixties,traffic light controlled,proper squeeze for the fridge wagons coming from Frank Bird’s poultry factory,one bloke must have been unfamilliar with it a few years ago,was gently inching his way along,motorbike heading the opposite direction can’t have been looking any further than the lights which changed to green,just as the artic was stuck on the bridge exit,result?biker in radiator grill!Don’t think there’s a piece of hedge/wall/fence that someone hasn’t been through along there,like the driver says though not much alternative on them lil country roads?

JFC999:

Shes a 58 plate on Springs…

lynchy:
Not a good idea trying to sneak under the bridge,if you did have to bail out it’d be reverse,if you got traction up a short sharp hill,against oncoming mad motorbikers/caravaners,bit of a racetrack the A686,'one of the best driving roads’up Hartside apparently,mind you the bridge out of the village ain’t much better,single carriageway Bailey bridge!from the late sixties,traffic light controlled,proper squeeze for the fridge wagons coming from Frank Bird’s poultry factory,one bloke must have been unfamilliar with it a few years ago,was gently inching his way along,motorbike heading the opposite direction can’t have been looking any further than the lights which changed to green,just as the artic was stuck on the bridge exit,result?biker in radiator grill!Don’t think there’s a piece of hedge/wall/fence that someone hasn’t been through along there,like the driver says though not much alternative on them lil country roads?

Point taken chaps , carry on diverting.

lynchy:

This monstrosity you mean?

■■■■■■■ weight limits are a right bollock ache! Didn’t realise the fine was £120 :open_mouth: . Are there maps out there that show weight limits, only got bridges on mine?

How are you supposed to know where weight limits end? They should put a notice on the wl signs like “for 10 miles” or " ends at (whatever) Street."

the latest truckers atlas has bridge heights, weight limits and cafe’s shown on the maps

and just because they do not say where the weight limit ends is no argument for being in them