£10 p.h. for sat + sun class 1 work?

A local firm has stopped all wekend work for its own Drivers and has
taken on weekend only Drivers at £10 per hour for all weekend hours.

Wages seem to be on a downward spiral.

Name and Shame :question:

At £10ph for weekend work they will only get people who can’t get work anywhere else, it could end up costing them more than they would have to pay the regular drivers if the vehicles get damaged.

The Rustler:
Name and Shame :question:

I couldn’t do that.

It could attract Jonny Foreigner trying to increase his pay.

tachograph:
At £10ph for weekend work they will only get people who can’t get work anywhere else, it could end up costing them more than they would have to pay the regular drivers if the vehicles get damaged.

It seems to be attracting ex drivers who have other Monday to Friday
work and early retirees whose company pensions haven’t kept up with
their expectations.

Don’t forget that the latter would not pay tax unless their earnings exceeded
£9440 and if over 65 they would not pay any National Insurance.

Therfore, for some, it is like 10 quid in the hand.

Assuming 12 hour shifts for the 2 days that would be about £200 take home, if anyone single or doesn’t need money and not bothered about mega hours it looks inviting to be honest.

I don’t agree with the wage but if I was single and unemployed I would take it! I’ll probably get slated for saying that but horses for courses etc and if you need work and don’t like unemployment … etc etc I personally couldn’t survive on that cus of my status ■■■■ as stated - single & unemployed for 2 days work :wink:

tin hat ready :unamused:

That’s why it must appeal to older guys . . .

Mortgage paid off

Kids grown up

Lost interest in boozers

Something to pass the time

Nice little earner perhaps.

But it’s similar to Monday to Friday pay, so the same would apply to working 2 days in the week, and then leave the weekends to people who want a premium :wink:

Dieseldoforme:

At £150 for a fifteen hour shift that’s £25 more on a Saturday and £15 more than a Sunday at my place where do I sign up.

It’s crap working weekends anyway, let those who want have it, I’d only do it @ £30/hr+, certainly not in this game…

waynedl:
But it’s similar to Monday to Friday pay, so the same would apply to working 2 days in the week, and then leave the weekends to people who want a premium :wink:

I believe that Mon-Fri work is only £7.55 ph.

…and Grandads look after Grandkids Mon-Fri anywayz !

NewLad:
At £150 for a fifteen hour shift that’s £25 more on a Saturday and £15 more than a Sunday at my place where do I sign up.

I believe that the weekend shifts are 6 to 12 hours with a guaranteed 80 quid.

15 hour shifts are bad for your health anywayz.

I would ban them.

I demand a 12 hour max shift with a 10 hour max drive, five days max week.

Pimpdaddy:
I’d only do it @ £30/hr+, certainly not in this game…

. . .Diving on North Sea oil rigs is unhealthy too.

NewLad:

Dieseldoforme:
where do I sign up.

tossco goole :laughing: courtesy of stobrats :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Dieseldoforme:
. .Diving on North Sea oil rigs is unhealthy too.

…■■?

Pimpdaddy:

Dieseldoforme:
. .Diving on North Sea oil rigs is unhealthy too.

…■■?

They’ll pay you the £30 ph you wanted.

The trouble is that the job has been dumbed down and made too easy now, not only are the lorries so bloody easy to drive that a monkey can do it (and does), the work is so easy that drivers have become little more than chauffers.

I know many lorry drivers wanted this and think its all good, but when the job was hard, there was some handball or roping and sheeting or some muck, and the lorries needed a lorry driver to drive them, then it all kept the job a bit more exclusive, not everyone wanted the graft and not everyone could do it, certainly when some tight manoeuvers were called for.

As a result any bloody fool can jump in a modern lorry and go tatas up the motorway for a few hours, reverse on a bay or do a drop and swap and as a result the job has cheapened.

As always, be careful what you wish for.

NewLad:

Dieseldoforme:

if I’ve read this correctly, then your saying that your gaffer pays you the mear sum of £8.33 an hour on saturday and £9.00 an hour on sunday.
what are you on for a week day? minimum wage.

Juddian:
The trouble is that the job has been dumbed down and made too easy now, not only are the lorries so bloody easy to drive that a monkey can do it (and does), the work is so easy that drivers have become little more than chauffers.

I know many lorry drivers wanted this and think its all good, but when the job was hard, there was some handball or roping and sheeting or some muck, and the lorries needed a lorry driver to drive them, then it all kept the job a bit more exclusive, not everyone wanted the graft and not everyone could do it, certainly when some tight manoeuvers were called for.

As a result any bloody fool can jump in a modern lorry and go tatas up the motorway for a few hours, reverse on a bay or do a drop and swap and as a result the job has cheapened.

As always, be careful what you wish for.

Every profession is the same. Its just modern progression. The jobs are easier, easier is more efficient and better / safer etc etc…

If you work for those rates you have absolutely no right whatsoever to complain about the downward spiral in pay and conditions. Ill await the beggars can’t be choosers brigade to come along and justify why we should all be grateful for such charity from our employers.