999 Right or Wrong

So yesterday was coming up between J11 - J12 of M40 N Bound.

A HGV had a blow out just before J12 Slipway and the tyre debrit was in lane one… about a 1/3 into it of the live carriageway

No Matrix signs etc up so I got on the cab phone and rang 999

The women didn’t seem that interested and I could of thought if she thought it was a prank ?

Anyway couple minutes later Highways phoned me (on the cab phone) - first time i’ve had a call back - and had to repeat it since not all information was handed to them…

Right or Wrong

You were Right!

Just for example

How would you had felt knowing a bad crash had happened later on by vehicles taking ovoiding action of the tyre debris.

I also made a 999 call yesterday, when I seen a brushfire with the vicinity of what I presume we’re gas pipes :open_mouth:

You did right, any debris on the carriage way has the potential to cause an accident.

No grey area - you definitely did the right thing. Don’t let it put you off doing it again in the future.

SEE: lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/ne … r_husband/

Staffordshire Police said it was believed the crash was caused by a lorry having a tyre blowout, which left debris on the motorway…

Right.When went via 999 they liase with HATO.It could have caused a multi vehicle accident and maybe fatalities by drivers swerving.If you see an upturned manhole drain cover or one that is missing that warrants a 999 under risk of life or injury for a motorcyclist.
Or any vehicle that hits the hole or cover it may cause an accident.

RIGHT - done it myself in the same situation

you did the right thing, just look at what happened on the M6 last Saturday when a HGV had a blow out a car swerved to avoid the debris and caused an accident involving 3 bikes where one of the riders sadly died.

What about tired drivers at 3am in the morning finding it hard to keep in his lane and swerving from lane to lane?

The problem is that what we see as serious (debris in road, drivers falling asleep) the controller taking the call just doesn’t seem to care.
I’ve had this many times. The one that sticks to mind was on the M25 with a family loaded up 2 on the front passenger seat (6mth old baby on her lap) 4 adults in back with two kids on lap and none had seatbelts.
45 minutes later a police patrol car called me asking for their location. I dot think he liked my reply.

Ring it in, every time, it has the obvious potential to cause serious problems for other road users.

I,ve stopped before now and used the emergency phone to report debris on the motorway, the call centre staff always seem to be grateful for the information.

Even a shackle load strap could cause lethal problems for a motorbike rider.I,ve seen a ladder before now on the inside lane, imagine that flicking up into the air :open_mouth:

You did right IMO & If it were me I’d take the attitude of the call handler further.

20yrs ago, a mate riding home from work at 2am woke up 7 days later in hospital. They estimated his speed at 100+ but with no other vehicles involved they didn’t prosecute. He hit a shredded HGV tyre carcass just over a brow on a dual carriageway & still suffers some of the injuries.

Chas:
You did right IMO & If it were me I’d take the attitude of the call handler further.

20yrs ago, a mate riding home from work at 2am woke up 7 days later in hospital. They estimated his speed at 100+ but with no other vehicles involved they didn’t prosecute. He hit a shredded HGV tyre carcass just over a brow on a dual carriageway & still suffers some of the injuries.

100+ mph over the brow of a hill? No sympathy here.

voodoo1:
I got on the cab phone and rang 999.

Couple minutes later Highways phoned me on the cab phone.

Right or Wrong

You did the right thing.

You are a National Treasure.

Thankyou.

If you could also give the motorway marker board number,
that would be fantastic.

Rob K:

Chas:

That’s 'cause you’re both a ■■■ and an angel :unamused:

■■■■ off Rob ya muppet

I’d have just left it, carry on & mind your own…

Pimpdaddy:
I’d have just left it, carry on & mind your own…

“All it takes for evil to succeed is for a few good men to do nothing…” Qu’:Edmund Burke.

We don’t hate you . . . we pity you.

Boomerang Dave:
No grey area - you definitely did the right thing. Don’t let it put you off doing it again in the future.

SEE: lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/ne … r_husband/

Staffordshire Police said it was believed the crash was caused by a lorry having a tyre blowout, which left debris on the motorway…

Absolutely 100% RIGHT! that accident BTW was my mate tony who died :frowning:

I 999ed 3 yoofs walking down the hard shoulder on the M62 on friday!

B…

I normally start the conversation with “FOR YOUR INFORMATION”. It is then up to them, but usually they take it on board. As previously stated, give a marker post no and direction of travel

waynedl:

Rob K:

Chas:

That’s 'cause you’re both a ■■■ and an angel :unamused:

[zb] off Rob ya muppet

But he’s right though isn’t he? 100 mph over a blind hill and he’s taken out by tyre debris, who’s fault is it?

voodoo1:
So yesterday was coming up between J11 - J12 of M40 N Bound.

A HGV had a blow out just before J12 Slipway and the tyre debrit was in lane one… about a 1/3 into it of the live carriageway

No Matrix signs etc up so I got on the cab phone and rang 999

The women didn’t seem that interested and I could of thought if she thought it was a prank ?

Anyway couple minutes later Highways phoned me (on the cab phone) - first time i’ve had a call back - and had to repeat it since not all information was handed to them…
So correct you will be awarded a gold star at the end of term :grimacing:

Right or Wrong

Right
I phoned a while back about a piece of metal on the carriage way … one of the questions i was asked by the operator was … where was i traveling to and from , after all i did report the exact location