9 points + 3 =?

A friend (yes, a real one, not me) has just been banned for 6 months for speeding.

He had apparently 9 points but was convinced one of the three had dropped off so to speak so when he got nicked again he thought he’d be ok…

But he wasn’t, still had the 9 and now he is out of work, can’t drive his car, really not in a good place.

He says he definitely only had 6 points when he went before the beak but has trouble proving it.

I’ve been asked to find him a suit to launch an appeal.

I may well be able to find him a legal rep but in my opinion I think it’s a waste of time.

Question to the forum is has anybody managed to retro a court decision on matters such as this.

I think he should have got lawyered up before his court case but I can understand his situation.

Maybe they should have offered him a speed awareness course instead of one of the convictions.

And no, he’s not moron behind the wheel - he’s in his late fifties, I’ve known him for about 25 years and have worked with him - happy to get in his cab.

But he has been a silly boy - and he knows it.

if he thinks that three of the points should of dropped off or expired it is easy to check on the dvla website. Is he sure that he was banned on the totting up of 12 or more points. It could be that as this is now at least the 5th time in three years he has got caught assuming he has done a speed awareness course they have decided to “make an example”. With all these yellow money printers around the place in “accident black spots” that just happen to have a tree in front of them or be at the bottom of a steep hill or where one might need to accelerate due to geography we have all been there

There are truck drivers STILL on roads with over 12points on licence.
You need to grovel@ court but plead “hardship” ref family to keep/mortgage or rent payments or lose house etc etc.
You’ll get a large fine but keep the licence.
Too late for your mate I know.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Big Truck:
There are truck drivers STILL on roads with over 12points on licence.
You need to grovel@ court but plead “hardship” ref family to keep/mortgage or rent payments or lose house etc etc.
You’ll get a large fine but keep the licence.
Too late for your mate I know.

This.
I knew somebody with over 12 points but kept his licence after pleading hardship for his young family.
My advice is to get a solicitor involved

A mate of mine from NI did this about 5yrs ago@ court in Lincoln.
Kept licence (12points) but got large fine.

The Solicitor told him he had represented another truck driver in court had 21 points total on licence via Gatso cameras but was STILL on road!!!

Big Truck:
The Solicitor told him he had represented another truck driver in court had 21 points total on licence via Gatso cameras but was STILL on road!!!

Surprised the TC hasn’t revoked their LGV licence on the grounds of repute.

Conor:

Big Truck:

I don’t think DVSA has any authority over speeding fines all the same!!!

Big Truck:

Conor:

Big Truck:

I would very much expect a driver with 9 points or more to be called to a conduct hearing over it with the TC, and the TC absolutely has the power to revoke your HGV licence and has a greater power over the courts. It would have to be proved you would be under extreme duress and hardship to keep your licence on 9 points plus these days.

Not to mention you would likely need to have proof from your employer that they will be able to continue to employ you. Most companies have a policy of a max of 9 points for insurance generally and even then a lot will expect you to cover any premium increase or increase in excess to employ you.

Courts used to allow the hardship pleads but I’m fairly sure they have clamped down on that a lot. If you get multiple speeding fines in close proximity then it is clear you have never learnt a lesson.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

simcor:

Big Truck:

Conor:

Big Truck:

I would very much expect a driver with 9 points or more to be called to a conduct hearing over it with the TC, and the TC absolutely has the power to revoke your HGV licence and has a greater power over the courts. It would have to be proved you would be under extreme duress and hardship to keep your licence on 9 points plus these days.

Not to mention you would likely need to have proof from your employer that they will be able to continue to employ you. Most companies have a policy of a max of 9 points for insurance generally and even then a lot will expect you to cover any premium increase or increase in excess to employ you.

Courts used to allow the hardship pleads but I’m fairly sure they have clamped down on that a lot. If you get multiple speeding fines in close proximity then it is clear you have never learnt a lesson.

I have 9points on a GB “ghost licence” from July22,
never heard a “dicky bird” from TC and hasn’t affected me one bit getting jobs!!!

Big Truck:

simcor:

Big Truck:

Conor:

Big Truck:

never heard a “dicky bird” from TC and hasn’t affected me one bit getting jobs!!!

That explains the kind of person you are the companies you work for no doubt.

Try slowing down and not collecting so many points. Points don’t make prizes you know.

The point is your company should inform the TC and the TC should invite the driver for a conduct hearing. They might not in all cases and it may depend upon the severity of the speeds involved. But it’s still stands if they are informed you have that many points they can remove your HGV entitlement at a driver conduct hearing.

simcor:

Big Truck:

simcor:

Big Truck:

Conor:

Big Truck:

Try slowing down and not collecting so many points. Points don’t make prizes you know.

The point is your company should inform the TC and the TC should invite the driver for a conduct hearing. They might not in all cases and it may depend upon the severity of the speeds involved. But it’s still stands if they are informed you have that many points they can remove your HGV entitlement at a driver conduct hearing.

Don’t talk a PILE of crap!!!

1st 3points 44mph through the 40mph time lapse cameras Kirby Thorne A66.

2nd 3points 35mph Lincoln Centre 0300 in morn past 30mph Gatso as was diversion off the new ring road.

3rd 3points was in family car M5 Just south of Bristol 71mph on a MOTORWAY but was used to going through the 60mph limit in the truck rather than car.

I’m a real speed freak right enough!!!

Don’t drive in GB no more (thank the Lord) and its great about home now as NI has a grand total of FOUR Gatso’s about the whole country fingers crossed it remains like so!!!

Big Truck:

simcor:

Big Truck:

simcor:

Big Truck:

Conor:

Big Truck:

2nd 3points 35mph Lincoln Centre 0300 in morn past 30mph Gatso as was diversion off the new ring road.

3rd 3points was in family car M5 Just south of Bristol 71mph on a MOTORWAY but was used to going through the 60mph limit in the truck rather than car.

Don’t drive in GB no more (thank the Lord) and its great about home now as NI has a grand total of FOUR Gatso’s about the whole country fingers crossed it remains like so!!!

Well all of that figures. As a professional driver you should know better. But I also very much doubt that you were done at any of those speeds you mention.

I’d say you are telling porkies about the speeds involved.

Under the present war on drivers with arbitrary reductions of limits and military levels of surveillance it’s all too easy to lose a clean licence within a few hours and a few miles in one journey.
Also bearing in mind that the penalty regime is equally arbitrary with 4-6 points possibly being imposed for a face value 3 point offence.
There but for the grace etc etc.Lots of sympathy here.

I read posts like this and sympathise but then when I’m on the motorway,I see trucks belting through on the limiter,through the temporary speed limits,ignoring the red x signs.And it’s not just a small minority.I think most truck drivers think they are entitled to break the speed limits without any regard for safety

simcor:

Big Truck:

simcor:

Big Truck:

simcor:

Big Truck:

Conor:

Big Truck:

Well all of that figures. As a professional driver you should know better. But I also very much doubt that you were done at any of those speeds you mention.

I’d say you are telling porkies about the speeds involved.

Believe whatever you want but those were the speeds in the letters!!!

BTW,
the company who should’ve reported me to TC for “slap on wrist” are the BIGGEST coldstore/Logistics company in world!!!
Lol lol lol

On my speed awareness course at Lincoln there was a lad who never stopped moaning about getting done for 33 mph in a 30 , I got done for 70 in a 60 on 607 from Melton to Grantham , so big truck speeding fines look perfectly plausible to me
66 I was on limiter all the way , can’t remember any 40 limits though , was tired so probably blasted straight through them , lucky I guess

He deserves to be banned for brown-nosing the Boss and messing up the job for everyone else. I mean, if you worked in a sausage factory and there was a sign on the wall saying “Only make 50 sausages an hour” then why would you want to make 60? :stuck_out_tongue:

gov.uk/penalty-points-endor … ng-licence

Points stay valid for 3 years but actually stay on for 4 years which might be where your friend has been caught out.

While we’re talking of TC, based on what I’ve been told by various sources, both the company and the individual are meant to tell the TC if they get points. Not all will result on any action of course but they can be used in any future conduct hearing as can expired points apparently.

dozy:
On my speed awareness course at Lincoln there was a lad who never stopped moaning about getting done for 33 mph in a 30 , I got done for 70 in a 60 on 607 from Melton to Grantham , so big truck speeding fines look perfectly plausible to me
66 I was on limiter all the way , can’t remember any 40 limits though , was tired so probably blasted straight through them , lucky I guess

There’s been 40mph time lapse cameras on A66@ Kirkby Thorne for years and I’ve went through them many times previous without incident.
This day in question was yapping away on Bluetooth but wasn’t concerned as knew wasn’t “flying”.
4mph average over limit so crapped on from great height!!!

Big Truck:

dozy:

There’s been 40mph time lapse cameras on A66@ Kirkby Thorne for years and I’ve went through them many times previous without incident.
This day in question was yapping away on Bluetooth but wasn’t concerned as knew wasn’t “flying”.
4mph average over limit so crapped on from great height!!!

40 for years on 66 , I need to pay more attention , salesman at Ford said they’d had drivers done on test drive recently on hill down into Grantham , so not only one not paying attention , got saved other week on that hill by car in front , 30 , I was doing 40+
Can’t see tc being interested in speeding , 99% of lorry drivers have points on there lisense , just part of the job