9 Hours reduction whos decision

I am pretty sure i read somewhere that a reduced rest IS at the discretion of the driver, and that was on a legal document pinned up in the shunters hut.
The 10 hour driving rule is at the discretion of the company ( depending on circumstances ) and contract of employment, ours says as and when needed.

I personally would not succumb to a 9 hr rest and always insisted on an 11, made me late a few times for my deliveries, but they got the message.

What i do not agree with is the 15 hr day planned most days, i always thought that a 13hr day was the norm, and Vosa allowed a driver the extra 2 hrs to enable him to reach a safe parking place or the depot, due to excesive traffic conditions or exceptional circumstances.

truckyboy:
What i do not agree with is the 15 hr day planned most days, i always thought that a 13hr day was the norm, and Vosa allowed a driver the extra 2 hrs to enable him to reach a safe parking place or the depot, due to excesive traffic conditions or exceptional circumstances.

The rules don’t say a thing about why you are allowed the extra hour of driving or two hours of working, they just say you are allowed them, so there’s nothing (in the law at least) wrong with planning to use them.

Paul

I have had thisd a few times,i stupidly reduced to 9 hours once…never again.
Did a 14.5 hour day around yorkshire…back the depot/9 hours off…14 hour day delivering around leeds…i was ■■■■!,bearing in mind i did 12+ deliveries on both days which involved handballing lots of heavy items!
Now my work know i won’t reduce,here is why…
9 hour reduction
1 HOUR TRAVELLING HOME THEN BACK TO WORK
1 HOUR GETTTING A SHOWER/CHANGED THEN READY FOR WORK IN THE MORNING
2 HOURS EATING MY TEA AND BEING WITH MY FAMILY
1 HOUR TRYING TO GET TO SLEEP!
1+1+2+1=5 HOURS,WHICH LEAVES 4 HOURS SLEEP *MAXIMUM,TO TAKE 4 HOURS SLEEP AND THEN BE EXPECTED TO COME INTO WORK AND DRIVE 4 HOURS SOLID TO MY 1ST DROP IS NOT ACCEPTABLE,AND DANGEROUS.

I think its ideal for tramping but shift work it aint.I do shift work now for the simple reason that i get more of a home life.But now and then i need to reduce it say on my last shift so i dont finish later.So i tend to work with the company and if they ask me to reduce and i can i will every now and then but i dont make a habit of it.

:open_mouth: Point to note because the traveling time to and from work the ball is always in my court and they(stobarts) have never told me ive got to.To be fair to them.

Perharps its not for some people but this is the job, if you want normal working hours go and get a job as a cleaner, you lot reckon it pays more anyway.

Saaamon:
Perharps its not for some people but this is the job, if you want normal working hours go and get a job as a cleaner, you lot reckon it pays more anyway.

Not cleaning, but you do earn more stacking shelves in tesco apparently :stuck_out_tongue:

ckm1981:
I have had thisd a few times,i stupidly reduced to 9 hours once…never again.
Did a 14.5 hour day around yorkshire…back the depot/9 hours off…14 hour day delivering around leeds…i was ■■■■!,bearing in mind i did 12+ deliveries on both days which involved handballing lots of heavy items!
Now my work know i won’t reduce,here is why…
9 hour reduction
1 HOUR TRAVELLING HOME THEN BACK TO WORK
1 HOUR GETTTING A SHOWER/CHANGED THEN READY FOR WORK IN THE MORNING
2 HOURS EATING MY TEA AND BEING WITH MY FAMILY
1 HOUR TRYING TO GET TO SLEEP!
1+1+2+1=5 HOURS,WHICH LEAVES 4 HOURS SLEEP *MAXIMUM,TO TAKE 4 HOURS SLEEP AND THEN BE EXPECTED TO COME INTO WORK AND DRIVE 4 HOURS SOLID TO MY 1ST DROP IS NOT ACCEPTABLE,AND DANGEROUS.

for this reason there should be more flexible or different rules for trampers, day/night drivers.

If you work shifts where you are back to base every day then apart from the odd occasion where things have gone belly up then here shouldn’t be any real need to reduce a daily rest. If you are regularly planned a reduced rest in this type of work then I would say things are being squeezed a little hard.

If on the other hand you are out tramping all week then the decision to reduce could come from either the driver or the office. As long as what you are being asked to do is within the law then what’s the problem?.

If however you, as a driver, feel that safety would be compromised as a result of reducing then you need to discuss it with whoever at the time of the request.

I know that things are getting tighter and with modern technology it is possible, in theory, to plan a trucks movements with a lot more detail but surely questions like this are futile to say the least. As a driver you have always been expected to do whatever is needed to get the job done. The only difference is that these days we have to pay more than lip sevice to the regulations.

Cheers
Neilf

Good post

neilf:
If you work shifts where you are back to base every day then apart from the odd occasion where things have gone belly up then here shouldn’t be any real need to reduce a daily rest. If you are regularly planned a reduced rest in this type of work then I would say things are being squeezed a little hard.

If on the other hand you are out tramping all week then the decision to reduce could come from either the driver or the office. As long as what you are being asked to do is within the law then what’s the problem?.

If however you, as a driver, feel that safety would be compromised as a result of reducing then you need to discuss it with whoever at the time of the request.

I know that things are getting tighter and with modern technology it is possible, in theory, to plan a trucks movements with a lot more detail but surely questions like this are futile to say the least. As a driver you have always been expected to do whatever is needed to get the job done. The only difference is that these days we have to pay more than lip sevice to the regulations.

Cheers
Neilf

`bout sums it up in one really.

3 main items :
Safety.
Legal.
Reasonable.

No one but no one at my place has a reduced break, unless its for the last shift :grimacing:

To ckm1981`s post on how the time off gets eaten away,i have it on good authority that the powers to be are about to change all this,i know what you mean about travel and meal times,i used to have a job in Wakefield,a 4 hour car trip before the truck shift,but only once in a few weeks,not daily.

does anyone else think 11 hours off is a bit too much?

limeyphil:

Yes I do, that is why I like the split breaks. I can still have my 9’s every day if necessary.

Try parking up at 8pm in Spain or the south of France and by 7am the cab is red hot again.

I like the flexibility of the regulations. I preferred it when you could use an 8.

Lucy has often said that it should be 10 hours across the board, which I can sort of agree with but still not flexible enough for me.

toby1234abc:
To ckm1981`s post on how the time off gets eaten away,i have it on good authority that the powers to be are about to change all this,i know what you mean about travel and meal times,i used to have a job in Wakefield,a 4 hour car trip before the truck shift,but only once in a few weeks,not daily.

Link to info or explain what good authority you have, as any legislation has to go through a long process before laws can be changed

Wheel Nut:

toby1234abc:

Link to info or explain what good authority you have, as any legislation has to go through a long process before laws can be changed

youtube.com/watch?feature=en … -aWWkMHiBo

Way too much if stuck out with the lorry!

As for being home, is there such a thing as too much time not at work? :wink:

If you are 15 mins drive from your base,and are due the 24 or 45 hour off for the weekly rest,do you go over the driving hours to get home or adhere to the letter of the law?

toby1234abc:
If you are 15 mins drive from your base,and are due the 24 or 45 hour off for the weekly rest,do you go over the driving hours to get home or adhere to the letter of the law?

you already know my answer to that. :laughing: