8'9 Low bridge (Nr A14 Bury) Did i mis-read?

Driving back up the A14 from Ipswich, think it was near Bury I saw a sign warning that at the next junction that went through a village their was a 8’9 height restriction under a bridge.

Did i read that correct as it was a normal junction (i.e not a junction with a no through route[/b]) as it went through the village and I think it went to brandon.
If anybody can clear this up a I have never come across a bridge that low before if that’s the case.

I was in Dumbarton last week heading for Oban but needed fuelling up… As I had a 15ft 5" trailer I diverted when I saw a 14ft 6" bridge which was well sign posted only to take the next turning to find myself up against a 8ft 9" bridge also with no warning signs… I looked at the bridge and reckon f you’d tried getting under it rob smack you right about top of bonnet/ low windscreen…

its not the bridge at needham market is it? just off the a140 junction, which has huge signs telling truck drivers not to follow their sat nav as they cant get through (you wouldnt believe how many went down there, actually you probably would!!)

euromat:
its not the bridge at needham market is it? just off the a140 junction, which has huge signs telling truck drivers not to follow their sat nav as they cant get through (you wouldnt believe how many went down there, actually you probably would!!)

thanks!!! oh ye of little faith - Today Sat Nav tried to take me under a 10"3 arch in lincoln (Turn around when possible) I’m filling out the insurance form as i write this… :laughing: :exclamation: :exclamation:

It might be - i just remember seeing the low bridge sign as i was over taking (at 50 mph of course) at the time.

the one at ely isn’t far off that low is it?

biggusdickusgb:

is that the one where cars go under and trucks go over and come up to that crank your neck out junction (if you no blind spot mirror) to join the main road again?

thats the one :laughing:

biggusdickusgb:

i did’nt think it was that low…? but i may be wrong, thought that was about 11ft?? not been down that road for a while though.

The one at Ely is 2.7m (Approx 9’ I think).

Their is one out by Manea going across the fens that is 7’ FFS! My mates van fits under with about 1" to spare, but makes me ‘pucker’ every time we approach it! Personally, I take the crossing! LOL

yes its 9’0"

Has that Hughes motor caused the closure then or has the vehicle already gone?

The bridge at Needham Market is 8’9.
My father used to clean the forecourt at Beacon Hill services until he retired. He used to tell me about the many drivers who came into the garage asking for directions into the Ind ests at Needham due to the bridge. Unfortunately many wouldn’t take any notice of him.
He told me of one driver who came into the garage with an curtainsided artic and asked for directions to Lion Barn Ind est. My Dad tried to explain that he would either have to go to the A1120 split at Stowmarket and come back on himself or to the Claydon split and do the same. The driver argued with him and said that my father knew nothing and drove away.
My Dad has lived in the village of Crowfield (which is approx 3 miles from Beacon Hill) all his life (72 years in November) and drove a rigid for 45 years, so should really know what he was talking about.
After nearly half an hour the driver returned and appologised to my father and asked him to repeat the directions again as he couldn’t get under the bridge.

Was that Hughes driver blind ■■? :open_mouth: !!! :laughing: :astonished:
How many height signs are there ■■? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

:unamused: Might have just fitted under it if the train wasnt there :laughing: Obviously sagging under the weight of all those commuters :angry:

Oh that’s how bridges are delivered then. :laughing:

But can anyone find a lower low bridge than this one, which was in use until about 3 years ago.

8wheels:
Oh that’s how bridges are delivered then. :laughing:

But can anyone find a lower low bridge than this one, which was in use until about 3 years ago.

Is that in Reading - looks familiar? There’s a local newspaper print shop just round the corner I think. Used to call there now and again when I was doing the Daily Mirror run to Watford.

its between thurrock and purfleet i think, i used to go past that one most days

You’ll like this one :laughing: Happened when I lived in the UK
There’s a small industrial estate in Redhill, Surrey, where high vehicles have to go in via the quarry, quite a squeeze but manageable even for artics. There is another entrance, but with a low bridge (can’t remember the exact height now). One of our drivers in a 7.5 t took this route, Gingerly entered the estate, with a few inches to spare, delivered a full load, got his paperwork, then drove out, under same bridge, without stopping, :sunglasses: Came in under it, no problem coming out will be the same. :confused: :blush: :blush: :cry: :cry:

Lighter truck, suspension not laden with load, :unamused: higher vehicle
No need to say what happened next :open_mouth:

pierrot 14:
You’ll like this one :laughing: Happened when I lived in the UK
There’s a small industrial estate in Redhill, Surrey, where high vehicles have to go in via the quarry, quite a squeeze but manageable even for artics. There is another entrance, but with a low bridge (can’t remember the exact height now). One of our drivers in a 7.5 t took this route, Gingerly entered the estate, with a few inches to spare, delivered a full load, got his paperwork, then drove out, under same bridge, without stopping, :sunglasses: Came in under it, no problem coming out will be the same. :confused: :blush: :blush: :cry: :cry:

Lighter truck, suspension not laden with load, :unamused: higher vehicle
No need to say what happened next :open_mouth:

someone on the yard said a while back that happened with one of our trucks, but with an archway at hotel, lorry went under but once he had unloaded the suspension went up so had to get tyre company out and drove out on flat tyres. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

can anybody recommend a good truckers atlas with bridge heights that will fit into a ruck sack, the only one’s i have seen are the normal big size ones.

cheers.

can anybody recommend a good truckers atlas with bridge heights that will fit into a ruck sack, the only one’s i have seen are the normal big size ones.

No
But i know where they sell bigger ruck sacks :unamused: :laughing:

Macka Packa:

No
But i know where they sell bigger ruck sacks :unamused: :laughing:

haha. thank’s mate.