8 Wheelers

Hey guys,this is a boring post but just have to ask as im curious! You never see class 2 8wheel curtain siders, fridge or box lorry’s there not common at all why is that?

there is a builders merchant in Nottingham that has got a couple of 8 wheeler curtainsiders :wink:

W h Malcolm converted some old 8wheel tippers into curtainsiders a while back based on a MAN chassis.

There’s a few curtainsiders with Moffetts about, Encon at Barking used to have a load of them.

I’m guessing that a six wheeler box/ fridge could handle most loads you’d have pile it full of heavy stuff to warrant an 8 wheeler. A trailer can be swapped and reloaded without a unit / driver whereas a rigid is a little less flexible.

The only 8 wheel fridges I’ve ever seen where in Australia.

A firm from macclesfield area used to have some[i think]yrs ago,green livery.smart fleet,anyone remember them?
regards dave.

ETS @ Shepshed used to have a few.
I had a new ERF 8 wheeler curtainsider on a “F” plate.

From the Time without Curtain Sider

dafdave:
A firm from macclesfield area used to have some[i think]yrs ago,green livery.smart fleet,anyone remember them?
woodwards…macc green 6&8 leggers curtain siders
bostocks ,congleton 6 legger curtain siders they was red
John

shuttlespanker:
there is a builders merchant in Nottingham that has got a couple of 8 wheeler curtainsiders :wink:

That will be John H Stevens

We got loads of 'em!

All with Moffett telehandlers, ours at Carmarthen is a Renault (POS :imp: ) but Radstock have Volvo FM12’s.

Shuttlespanker, that’d be John A. Stephens IIRC, yard’s down by the railway station; always had a good fleet. Back in the day they had some very tidy Bedford KM’s, always well turned out.

3300John:

dafdave:
woodwards…macc green 6&8 leggers curtain siders
bostocks ,congleton 6 legger curtain siders they was red
John

Thanks for that john.
regards dave.

theres a couple of steel hauliers around the midlands with 8 wheelers and slider bodies on them

Im in the London area and don’t really see any, but i guess a 6 wheeler is well up to the job of pub, restaurant and small shops delivery’s.

Malclom’s used to have some Volvo FM 8 wheeler Curtains.

Mullens:
Im in the London area and don’t really see any, but i guess a 6 wheeler is well up to the job of pub, restaurant and small shops delivery’s.

A 6 wheeler or artic with a 30’ trailer is a bit easier to negiotiate around London, that’s why the limp wristed pub, restaurant and shop delivery drivers use them. :laughing: Whereas the rugged construction plant, go anywhere type people just man up and defiantely drive their 8 wheelers wherever they need to. Bloody heroes. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

lockwoods at ambergate got an 8 legger fridge on mushy peas

Cobley Transport had/have at least 1 Scainia P cab 8x2 curtainsider with rear Mounty.

NewBlood:
Cobley Transport had/have at least 1 Scainia P cab 8x2 curtainsider with rear Mounty.

We have 2 8x2 curtainsiders with moffets running around! One 56 plate p380 and a 12 plate p can highline p360

The builders merchant i started with had a 53 plate iveco tector 8x4 dropside grab lorry, that thing was a machine!

Arnold Lavers, timber, and Christyens, chemicals, in Bradford use 8 legger curtain siders.
I would think it’s only own account or special contracts that use them